• 4 Post By TXGTOU
  • 1 Post By Gator352
  • 1 Post By eve6er69
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts

Default Getting a new phone

Hey guys!

I have been an Apple fan for quite awhile now, I am currently using the iPhone 5. I am thinking of changing to a droid by the end of this week. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 looks amazing. I have a few questions however regarding the Note 3.

Does it lag? (Is it as smooth as iOS)

How is the battery life?

Is it worth it to change from the iPhone 5?

Is the screen to big? (I personally want the big screen, but I am hoping to not regret getting and after a few months changing it due to it being so large)

Thank you in advance

James

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Default Re: Getting a new phone

Quote Originally Posted by ForgWorm View Post
    Hey guys!

I have been an Apple fan for quite awhile now, I am currently using the iPhone 5. I am thinking of changing to a droid by the end of this week. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 looks amazing. I have a few questions however regarding the Note 3.

How is the battery life?

Is the screen to big? (I personally want the big screen, but I am hoping to not regret getting and after a few months changing it due to it being so large)

Thank you in advance

James
    • Does it lag?
      Definitely not!
    • How is the battery life?
      The Note 3 comes with a massive 3,200mAh battery!
    • Is it worth it to change from the iPhone 5?
      In my opinion, definitely
    • Is the screen too big?
      You'll probably be surprised by the variation in screen size between the two devices, but you'll quickly get used to it.
    Thanked by:

The note 3 is definitely one of the best phones out there. The operating system doesn't lag at all, however I must say stock - apps are less polished F. E the browser app VS safari..

I made the switch from an iPhone 5 to the note 3 myself at never had regrets. You'll adjust to the size and iphones will feel like little toys after a few weeks.

Don't hesitate get one is my advise

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Hey guys!

How is the battery life?

Thank you in advance
    James
    Lag?
    None. This was such an upgrade from my iPhone 4S
    Battery?
    This is amazing. I have had droids in the past, and like the ability to replace the batteries. I am actually getting a new Samsung battery, to carry as a spare, but not that I plan on really needing it. I had a half off coupon and so it was only $25. I use my phone fairly heavy, though not a ton of games, if I do its Candy Crush or Dots. Lots of email, FB, web, videos etc. I leave GPS, and WiFi on, and turned my screen lower. I can easiely get 1 1/2 days sometimes 2 full days, though it will be in the red at the end of the second day. It can't be beat.
    Worth the Change?
    For Sure in my book. I came from the iPhone 4S, and so glad to be back on Android, I won't be going back anytime soon. My wife has the new 5S, has to for work, and it is so small. Its hard to think it was suppose to be the latest and greatest. She would have this or would wait for the Galaxy S5, if she could have.
    Screen too big?
    I don't think so. I can carry this in any coat pocket, or dress pants, also fits well in my shirt pockets, and jeans. Though I rarely drive with it in a pocket, it sits either in the cup holder or seat.
    Thanked by:

What everyone else said, but a few things that you may not know, charging times are greatly improved when using the USB 3.0 cable. I'm still amazed at how it appears to charge MUCH FASTER than it discharges with use. Also, when you go to a phone this size, you're going to be hard pressed to go back to something the size of the iPhone. My brother has an iPhone 5 and it looks like a kid's toy.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    What everyone else said, but a few things that you may not know, charging times are greatly improved when using the USB 3.0 cable. I'm still amazed at how it appears to charge MUCH FASTER than it discharges with use. Also, when you go to a phone this size, you're going to be hard pressed to go back to something the size of the iPhone. My brother has an iPhone 5 and it looks like a kid's toy.
    +1
    When I use my husband's iPhone, I don't want to even touch it. I love iOS (not the 7) though and their app store. This is what I miss about the iPhone but that's it.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBeanGurl View Post
    +1
    When I use my husband's iPhone, I don't want to even touch it. I love iOS (not the 7) though and their app store. This is what I miss about the iPhone but that's it.

I'll be the first to admit that iPhone does tend to carry more apps than Android in general, but when I look at my Android library vs my iPhone library (had an iPhone for about 8 months), it's sad that I've spent more money on iTunes, but have at least 20 times more apps and more useful apps on my Android. Most of the apps (most useful apps) I attained via Amazon's app store. If you're new to Android, that app store is probably the first thing I would install. Here is a list (I don't think complete) of all the apps that have been free since Amazon started the program. Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: List of Free Daily Deal Android Apps for Kindle Fire
    Thanked by:
    ForgWorm likes this.

Hey guys!

How is the battery life?

Thank you in advance

James
    James, I am a Newbie, Novice, Neophite all in one.. With that said, I was eating the other day at a restaurant with small tables. A fella at the next table was doing something on his 5s.. My phone rang, I was ashame to pull out my Note 3..Just my point of view...
    ForgWorm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    James, I am a Newbie, Novice, Neophite all in one.. With that said, I was eating the other day at a restaurant with small tables. A fella at the next table was doing something on his 5s.. My phone rang, I was ashame to pull out my Note 3..Just my point of view...
    I have no shame when I pull mine out. If anything, I look at the other person's phone and say "awe that's cute".

Exactly. No shame here I'm proud to own this beast. This phone is fantastic.

Rockin my Note 3

@Forgworm

The best thing in the world for you is to go to your carriers store and play with it for awhile. Get the feel of the size, shape, and smoothness of the UI then make a decision. Don't be hasty. The Note 3 is an awesome phone...just think, your iPhone 5 can fit in the screen on the Note 3. Point is, the Note 3 is the best phone I have ever owned, but it might not be for you...go, check it out, and I bet you go home with it. Then we will see you right here...on AC...answering all your questions!
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2
    ForgWorm likes this.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts

There are a couple 'iPhone to Note 3' threads here that will help you out a lot. If you have any specific questions, former iphone owners are a great resource/reassurance.

Apps - there are very very few cases where there is not a corresponding Android app that does the job nearly as well (if not better).

Battery - battery life is tremendous, but remember, our batteries are brand new - they should be great at this point. But... we can replace our battery if it does run down (and it will if you keep the phone long enough). You cannot replace your iBattery. :-) This is a huge selling point to me.

OS lag - While one has to be faster than the other (unless it's a tie), I say the difference is not discernable.

Screen size - hands down here - the Note blows away the iPhone. Every iphone user I know admits this upon comparison.

It is a big phone (or a small tablet). But I've found I got used to the size very quickly, and don't mind it at all. Some people do though. Go to a store and size it up. (pun intended).

It is worth it? We can't answer that for you. But remember you have a couple weeks to decide. If you do go back to Apple, I suspect you'll be squinting a bit though. :-)

Good luck whichever way you go.

Cheers

Came from a 4s. No lag, battery life is about 3x better for me and the screen is great. After a few hours of play I had to use my work phone and it felt unusable because of the tiny screen. Lol

Sent from my gameboy color
    Gator352 likes this.

I'll be the first to admit that iPhone does tend to carry more apps than Android in general, but when I look at my Android library vs my iPhone library (had an iPhone for about 8 months), it's sad that I've spent more money on iTunes, but have at least 20 times more apps and more useful apps on my Android. Most of the apps (most useful apps) I attained via Amazon's app store. If you're new to Android, that app store is probably the first thing I would install. Here is a list (I don't think complete) of all the apps that have been free since Amazon started the program. Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: List of Free Daily Deal Android Apps for Kindle Fire
    Thanks for this. I am new to the android. I like quality apps and so far I haven't found any good quality apps except for Evernote, Day Journal, Google keep and of course you know apps like Amazon, ebay, etc....
    Anyway, appreciate it!

Thanks for this. I am new to the android. I like quality apps and so far I haven't found any good quality apps except for Evernote, Day Journal, Google keep and of course you know apps like Amazon, ebay, etc....
    Anyway, appreciate it!

It's probably one thing I've noticed those new to the Android platform don't find out for awhile. Those of us that have been on Android for awhile know about it and so we tend to assume that new people will know right away. I've probably picked up a few apps that I wouldn't necessarily buy outright but would get if offered free from there. I think I've picked up most of the Office clones from there, and a few really slick apps that I wouldn't admit to paying for such as Peggle. I have roughly 300 apps from Amazon alone. Also, from time to time Amazon will have a special where if you download one of their apps (even a free one), they'll give you a .99 credit towards an MP3.

A couple of things to keep in mind, you have to be logged into your Amazon account on your phone (with data connectivity) to play some of the games, and you have to have Amazon's MP3 app downloaded in order to download an MP3 to your device (or you can download the MP3 to your computer and then just cut and paste the MP3 file to your device).

Also, if you don't have the Hulu Plus app, you can get it here. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - If you want to try Hulu Plus on your device for a month...... The only problem I have is that Hulu still forces you to watch advertisements, which kind of defeats the premise of paying for video service IMO.
    Thanked by:

I never use iphone..and i dont know how smooth and functionable it is..and when u change to a note 3 the first thing u must know is "S PEN" a.k.a stylus, very fun to use it when u use apps GALAXY SKETCH on note 3. Just pull out the stylus and write down on memo whatever u like.. no paper anymore when u go to supermarket...
    Thats all....NOTE 3 rockk!

Thanked by:
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,067 Global Posts

Does it lag? (Is it as smooth as iOS)>>>>> The native email app has bad lag when hitting reply. forward etc...crappy client by Samdung, but you can get other mail clients. No other lag you would see on the Note 3..

How is the battery life? >>>>>Blows iPhone away...insane...

Is it worth it to change from the iPhone 5? >>>>>- depends on what you want from a phone; Android is not restricted the same way IOS is, so you have far more customizing capability in Android.

Is the screen to big? (I personally want the big screen, but I am hoping to not regret getting and after a few months changing it due to it being so large) >>>>>Not for me; I want large and I got used to is after having a Blackberry Z10. I bought a UAG case and it really makes the phone good and solid, so you can put it in your pocket with no worries.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.

I tried to find the amazon app store.. is it the same app as the one to purchase things?

I tried to find the amazon app store.. is it the same app as the one to purchase things?

On my phone (Verizon). I have a folder that came preloaded under apps, that says Amazon. In there is the Appstore App.

I have no shame when I pull mine out. If anything, I look at the other person's phone and say "awe that's cute".
    I take out my phone lay it on the table and read email or surf the webb, then I lean slightly in the direction of the non note 3 user and ask "Does that hurt your eyes? I noticed you squinting to look at your phone"

Coming from a Iphone 4s I love my note 3 , you will get use the screen size very quickly, never had any major lag issue I seen stuttering on both iphone and my note while on web I chalk that up to bad codeing of the web page for mobile use as some pages are not optimized for mobile yet . Battery life is great I suggest reading threw forum and getting the tips that are posted and it will help you allot comming from a iphone and good luck on your purchase and welcome to the android family.

I originally had the DROID and DROID X when they first came out. When Verizon had the Iphone 4, I decided to upgrade. I had that phone for about 18 months and then went to look at the Galaxy S3. That was a phenominal device. It could do so much more than the Iphone 4 could. The battery life was wretched and after trying to tweak and modify the device, I sold it after 4 months and upgraded to the Iphone 5. After dealing with the S3, I vowed that I would never return back to Android.

The stylus on the Note series was always appealing. I started to speak to people about their Note tablets and phones and they all raved about it. So, I decided to buy a Note 8 to try it out. I was very impressed. That motivated me one day to walk into Verizon and look at the Note 3. I wound up buying the Note 3 that day along with a Galaxy Gear watch.

Its been 3 weeks so far. I have not picked up the Iphone 5. Its sitting a drawer and will probably wind up being sold. I also have an Ipad which has not been turned on since I got the Note 8.

Battery life is EXCELLENT compared to the Iphone5. At the end of the day, the Iphone needed to be charged. At the end of the day, the Note 3 still has 40-50% battery life left on it. The other day, I had to record video for a Christmas concert using the Note 3. What an impressive camera and it did not eat up the battery as much as I thought.

The phone size is not that big. Its sort of like caring around a checkbook in your pocket. Yes its bigger but I also find myself using the Note 3 more when I get home as opposed to picking up the Note 8 and using that which now makes me think whether I need the Note 8.

Actually, I was not planning on buying the Note 3 until January. With the extended return option, I have until January 15 to decide. That might be an option for you to consider. That way you can decide whether to keep the Iphone 5 or the Note 3.