Text & Notification Vibration not strong enough, Samsung Galaxy Note 3

selenataylor143

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I've recently gotten this phone and I love it to death. But the one thing that irritates me is that when I get text messages and notifications, it only vibrates softly two times. So soft I barely even can hear it. When I tried to fix this in the sound settings, my "ringtones and notifications" tab already had the vibrations set to 'basic call' and it's on the highest intensity. I really don't know how to fix this, and I've already tried googling things but I got nothing. Please help, thanks!!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this too and I find myself missing calls and messages when on vibrate. As far as I know the vibration motor can't go any higher and unless you prefer a different pattern from the settings there is nothing we can do. :(

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Really?? I find mine to vibrate quite intensely... I actually set it to a bit lower :S Most of my friends have always been amazed at how much noise a Samsung phone makes (S2, Note 2, S4, Note 3 so far) when it's placed on "Vibrate" on a table... o_O All of my devices have been international, factory-unlocked versions. Might that be it?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Really?? I find mine to vibrate quite intensely... I actually set it to a bit lower :S Most of my friends have always been amazed at how much noise a Samsung phone makes (S2, Note 2, S4, Note 3 so far) when it's placed on "Vibrate" on a table... o_O All of my devices have been international, factory-unlocked versions. Might that be it?

Doubtful. It's definitely loud but I don't seem to feel it in my pocket. Could just be coincidence and I'll notice it in the right situation. Maybe the way the phone sat in my pocket was the issue.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if it will help and if it's an option on all models, but I created my own vibration. I did four long vibration pattern.

You can do this by going into the type of vibration, were you see basic call and etc. I have an option to create my own.

Something to try? I agree as my S3 was a more prominent vibration.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

Josta

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Note 3 the other day and have the same issue. Verizon, Best Buy, and the Samsung rep at Best Buy (even after calling tech support at Samsung) cannot solve it. Being hearing-impaired, the vibration feature is important to me.

In the "Messages" settings, under "More", the "Vibrate" is checked (after turning the volume up ever so slightly so the vibrate icon is also on the speaker icon with the slash through it.

Then under the device settings, "Sound", "Vibrations", it is set for "Basic Call" or any of the others. Tried the custom settings as well. (When selecting them, the "test" vibrations are quite intense.) The "Vibration Intensity" setting for "Incoming Call" and "Notification" are both turned up all the way.

Yet, when receiving a text message, I still only get the two short bursts of vibration which is not much help to me. The Samsung rep had a S3 (I think) with identical commands and setup features, and his vibration DOES work as advertised, but cannot replicate that on my Note 3. None of the vibration patterns (including the custom ones I created) under "Sound"-"Vibrations" work at all.

Samsung in Texas says that even though it is on the settings menu, the Note 3 does not have the ability to change the notification vibrations!

What to do?????

Thanks!

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Look for the Lightflow application. Not only does this application control the LED flash based on the notification but it also gives the different vibration options for patterns, lengths, and how often the vibration repeats.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.

Josta

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I did. I downloaded the trial version and it worked great. Then I bought it and downloaded the paid version, and it has not worked right since so sadly uninstalled it. I've installed, and uninstalled, both the trial and paid versions several times with no luck. In their defense, customer support form the Lightflow folks has been incredible; they just can't figure out why it's not working. I would just like to get the built-in vibration feature on the Note 3 working.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^ Interesting. I hate to suggest this but what if you performed the dreaded factory reset and started over. Then the first thing to do is install Lightflow again to see if it works with the other settings under "Sound" ?

Also, I helped a friend yesterday who just got a Verizon Note 3 and when installing Lightflow I noticed when configuring the notification settings for text and missed call, the test mode worked inconsistently. I re-did the settings again and for each light pattern and vibrate I would select a setting or pattern and then selected each option instead of hitting the back key after just one setting and then tested again. Test mode then worked.

Last edited:

Josta

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you ehosey2. The factory reset is an absolute last resort. BTW, on your Note 3 does the built-in vibrate feature work for SMS? Or maybe I have a defective unit?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My phones live on vibrate, I don't really notice too much difference, the note 3 vibration feels strong when holding it, and I can hear it okay if it's laying on the coffee table, but I have noticed I do miss notifications while in my pocket, or holster, maybe the size? Not as concentrated as a smaller device? To be fair, I do have mine in a Defender, that probably insulates it some.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It does work. I have the AT&T version. I would factory reset and try to configure the vibrate notifications again and if that does not work it sounds like a hardware issue since it seems vibrate initially worked with the initial install of the free version of Lightflow.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Josta

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. We're talking about text message notifications, right? And Rusty, are you on Verizon as well?

On another forum, a Note 3 user just reported he has the same problem; vibrate patterns work for phone calls but not text messages.

I just found Samsung Support has a Facebook page so posted this question there. I'll let you know what they say!

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, I just text my friend with the Verizon Note 3 and his phone does correctly vibrate with SMS. He has the free version of Lightflow installed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. We're talking about text message notifications, right? And Rusty, are you on Verizon as well?

On another forum, a Note 3 user just reported he has the same problem; vibrate patterns work for phone calls but not text messages.

I just found Samsung Support has a Facebook page so posted this question there. I'll let you know what they say!

No, I'm on sprint, I was really only talking about vibration intensity, tbo, I've never tried to set any patterns.

Josta

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Update: Samsung Support said to do a battery pull, which I did. Although it did not make any difference in the embedded vibration settings, on a hunch I re-downloaded Lightflow; and it now works using Lightflow!

Then Samsung suggested I put the phone in "Safe Mode" for 2-3 hours, and "to let them know if it functions properly at any point".

I'm going to try Lightflow for a few days first. Thanks for all your help, guys!

John

Josta

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Update: Samsung, on their Tech Support page on Facebook, now says that the ability to change the vibration pattern for SMS messaging is NOT available for the Note 3 (even though it is in the S4), because "features do change from device to device" and will forward my comments upstairs "for review".

John

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante