Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
And do you use it?

As for me, I only have one friend on it. But according to BB there has been over 40 millions from IOS and Android that downloaded BBM.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see no need for it (for me) since I'd have to get friends to get the app when I could just text them like normal.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Unless you've been a BB user, you wouldn't get the whole BBM thing. I have it on my Note 3 and am waiting for BlackBerry to finish it so we have full functionality - the same as with a BB device. It's far from the same as texting - not even close. There's a reason they've had 40 million downloads of it on IOS and Android.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Unless you've been a BB user, you wouldn't get the whole BBM thing. I have it on my Note 3 and am waiting for BlackBerry to finish it so we have full functionality - the same as with a BB device. It's far from the same as texting - not even close. There's a reason they've had 40 million downloads of it on IOS and Android.

what do you mean? by that ..what I see is the BBM video is not there

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
And do you use it?

As for me, I only have one friend on it. But according to BB there has been over 40 millions from IOS and Android that downloaded BBM.

I have it and have two contacts on it. it feels a little klunky compared to other instant messengers these days

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have it and have two contacts on it. it feels a little klunky compared to other instant messengers these days

I tried it with my only contact..she is using a bb. I did not have any problem. Althought like fba said I had a bb device before and bbm.
never tried it with someone that has it on their android device

desdesdes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty non BlackBerry savy. Could you please elaborate on the full functionality aspect?

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried it with my only contact..she is using a bb. I did not have any problem. Althought like fba said I had a bb device before and bbm.
never tried it with someone that has it on their android device

changes to my status and profile photo don't get pushed out evenly (one contact has one from several weeks ago and hasn't seemed to detect the change yet). on iOS the app badge indicates totally random numbers for how many messages are waiting, for example right now it indicates 7 even though only 1 is.

it doesn't feel like it uses the screen space effectively.

The security (cryptography) is poor by modern standards yet because blackberry had such a good reputation people assume it is better than it is.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Care to elaborate? How is it "much more than texting" if I just send a SMS message to a friend versus a BB message?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My first smart phones were blackberrry's, so I have some expereince with BBM. On my BB8800 and BB9000 it was a great option to expand functionality beyond texting on the BB at that time. there is no doubt it is better then straight texting. But eve on BB there was a desire for better IM clients. Many of the same ones are on Android. IM+, Trillian to name a few. Frankly i am tired of the slew of clients to choose from. Hell on the Note 3 we get 4 different software clients with the phone. The built in Messaging app, ATT messaging, Hangouts, and Chat on from Samsung.

Don't get me wrong, BBM is fine, but I don't see it being that big with the saturated space on android phones for messaging apps. BBM's biggest appeal are to those that have had BBM on blackberies and remember how good it was.

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I had BBs from 2005-2009. Everyone l worked with and all my friends had BBs. My wife had a BB. BBM was da bomb!! Everybody used it and it worked flawlessly. That was then. I see no need for it now.

Nokia 1520

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

I have it, I rarely touch other messaging apps now. For some curious peeps, just install it and try.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
what do you mean? by that ..what I see is the BBM video is not there

Care to elaborate? How is it "much more than texting" if I just send a SMS message to a friend versus a BB message?

I'm pretty non BlackBerry savy. Could you please elaborate on the full functionality aspect?

The actual BBM app allows video chatting within the app as well as phone calls on data worldwide through the app.

I'd prefer if all my friends used BBM but you can't force everyone I guess.

As for the original post, yes I do use BBM. I had 50 International friends on BBM before I left for an iPhone last year. I downloaded it and re entered my password into it and they all showed back up. I can't wait for full features.

Sent from my gameboy color

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Have it on my Note 2. Use it everyday, with work and friends. When I don't won't to hear anything, just turn off notifications, but still receive, than turn notifications back on.

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Have it on my Note 2. Use it everyday, with work and friends. When I don't won't to hear anything, just turn off notifications, but still receive, than turn notifications back on.

Could you and your friends use text messaging just as easily? Just wondering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The actual BBM app allows video chatting within the app as well as phone calls on data worldwide through the app.

I'd prefer if all my friends used BBM but you can't force everyone I guess.

As for the original post, yes I do use BBM. I had 50 International friends on BBM before I left for an iPhone last year. I downloaded it and re entered my password into it and they all showed back up. I can't wait for full features.

I guess that makes sense if you need video chat or international calling...

Just don't see how the texting part is just so much better than SMS as FBA said.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I guess that makes sense if you need video chat or international calling...

Just don't see how the texting part is just so much better than SMS as FBA said.

Fba stated that it is far better than texting. The difference between BBM and sms is BBM is instant. Sometimes it takes a minute for a text to go through and even longer for an image. BBM is almost instant for images and instant for texts.

Also don't forget the group aspect of the app. Having the ability to have a group message with select photos and files that July the group can see is really good. You don't have to scroll through hundreds of messages to find your group images. They're all laid out for you in a folder.

It's these reasons I choose to use BBM as well as having the ability to text internationally for free with it.

You may not think the same but I feel the pro's outweigh the cons so I continue to use it.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
BBM vs Text

1) Video chat with BBM users (not yet implemented on IOS /Android)
2) Voice chat with BBM users (not yet implemented on IOS /Android)
3) Instant online communication with BBM users - with visibility and availability status of users
4) Unobtrusive Read and Delivered notification for all messages
5) Full file and desktop sharing with BBM users (not yet implemented on IOS /Android)

There are more features in it, but it's been a while since I had a BB so I don't remember them all.

There are no other IM's that offer anything close to or as robust as BBM. SMS/MMS isn't even in the same league as BBM, nor was it designed to be. Once BBM is fully integrated into IOS and Android, it will be unbeatable. Whatsapp doesn't come close and is a huge piece of crap that looks like it was written by a 2 year old. Not to mention that it's hugely unreliable on all platforms as well.

SMS is s good platform, but for me BBM, has far more to offer. I have plenty of contacts on BBM both using BB devices, and non-BB devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan