Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    And do you use it?

    As for me, I only have one friend on it. But according to BB there has been over 40 millions from IOS and Android that downloaded BBM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    I see no need for it (for me) since I'd have to get friends to get the app when I could just text them like normal.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  3. #3  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Unless you've been a BB user, you wouldn't get the whole BBM thing. I have it on my Note 3 and am waiting for BlackBerry to finish it so we have full functionality - the same as with a BB device. It's far from the same as texting - not even close. There's a reason they've had 40 million downloads of it on IOS and Android.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    Thanked by:
    wazzugrad and mspace81 like this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Meeee i have it

    Sent from my C6603 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    Unless you've been a BB user, you wouldn't get the whole BBM thing. I have it on my Note 3 and am waiting for BlackBerry to finish it so we have full functionality - the same as with a BB device. It's far from the same as texting - not even close. There's a reason they've had 40 million downloads of it on IOS and Android.

    what do you mean? by that ..what I see is the BBM video is not there
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alain_A View Post
    And do you use it?

    As for me, I only have one friend on it. But according to BB there has been over 40 millions from IOS and Android that downloaded BBM.
    I have it and have two contacts on it. it feels a little klunky compared to other instant messengers these days
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    I have it and have two contacts on it. it feels a little klunky compared to other instant messengers these days
    I tried it with my only contact..she is using a bb. I did not have any problem. Althought like fba said I had a bb device before and bbm.
    never tried it with someone that has it on their android device
  8. #8  
    desdesdes's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    Unless you've been a BB user, you wouldn't get the whole BBM thing. I have it on my Note 3 and am waiting for BlackBerry to finish it so we have full functionality - the same as with a BB device. It's far from the same as texting - not even close. There's a reason they've had 40 million downloads of it on IOS and Android.
    I'm pretty non BlackBerry savy. Could you please elaborate on the full functionality aspect?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alain_A View Post
    I tried it with my only contact..she is using a bb. I did not have any problem. Althought like fba said I had a bb device before and bbm.
    never tried it with someone that has it on their android device
    changes to my status and profile photo don't get pushed out evenly (one contact has one from several weeks ago and hasn't seemed to detect the change yet). on iOS the app badge indicates totally random numbers for how many messages are waiting, for example right now it indicates 7 even though only 1 is.

    it doesn't feel like it uses the screen space effectively.

    The security (cryptography) is poor by modern standards yet because blackberry had such a good reputation people assume it is better than it is.
  10. #10  
    crester's Avatar

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    I have it and have about 30 contacts on it. I like it a lot more than WhatsApp.

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    Unless you've been a BB user, you wouldn't get the whole BBM thing. I have it on my Note 3 and am waiting for BlackBerry to finish it so we have full functionality - the same as with a BB device. It's far from the same as texting - not even close. There's a reason they've had 40 million downloads of it on IOS and Android.
    Care to elaborate? How is it "much more than texting" if I just send a SMS message to a friend versus a BB message?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    My first smart phones were blackberrry's, so I have some expereince with BBM. On my BB8800 and BB9000 it was a great option to expand functionality beyond texting on the BB at that time. there is no doubt it is better then straight texting. But eve on BB there was a desire for better IM clients. Many of the same ones are on Android. IM+, Trillian to name a few. Frankly i am tired of the slew of clients to choose from. Hell on the Note 3 we get 4 different software clients with the phone. The built in Messaging app, ATT messaging, Hangouts, and Chat on from Samsung.

    Don't get me wrong, BBM is fine, but I don't see it being that big with the saturated space on android phones for messaging apps. BBM's biggest appeal are to those that have had BBM on blackberies and remember how good it was.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
  13. #13  
    jaj324's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    I had BBs from 2005-2009. Everyone l worked with and all my friends had BBs. My wife had a BB. BBM was da bomb!! Everybody used it and it worked flawlessly. That was then. I see no need for it now.

    Nokia 1520
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    Unless you've been a BB user, you wouldn't get the whole BBM thing. I have it on my Note 3 and am waiting for BlackBerry to finish it so we have full functionality - the same as with a BB device. It's far from the same as texting - not even close. There's a reason they've had 40 million downloads of it on IOS and Android.
    I have it, I rarely touch other messaging apps now. For some curious peeps, just install it and try.

    Sent via Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alain_A View Post
    what do you mean? by that ..what I see is the BBM video is not there



    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Care to elaborate? How is it "much more than texting" if I just send a SMS message to a friend versus a BB message?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.



    Quote Originally Posted by desdesdes View Post
    I'm pretty non BlackBerry savy. Could you please elaborate on the full functionality aspect?
    The actual BBM app allows video chatting within the app as well as phone calls on data worldwide through the app.

    I'd prefer if all my friends used BBM but you can't force everyone I guess.

    As for the original post, yes I do use BBM. I had 50 International friends on BBM before I left for an iPhone last year. I downloaded it and re entered my password into it and they all showed back up. I can't wait for full features.

    Sent from my gameboy color
  16. #16  
    kg4icg's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Have it on my Note 2. Use it everyday, with work and friends. When I don't won't to hear anything, just turn off notifications, but still receive, than turn notifications back on.
    3348b76f
  17. #17  
    jaj324's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    Have it on my Note 2. Use it everyday, with work and friends. When I don't won't to hear anything, just turn off notifications, but still receive, than turn notifications back on.
    Could you and your friends use text messaging just as easily? Just wondering.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    The actual BBM app allows video chatting within the app as well as phone calls on data worldwide through the app.

    I'd prefer if all my friends used BBM but you can't force everyone I guess.

    As for the original post, yes I do use BBM. I had 50 International friends on BBM before I left for an iPhone last year. I downloaded it and re entered my password into it and they all showed back up. I can't wait for full features.

    Sent from my gameboy color
    I guess that makes sense if you need video chat or international calling...

    Just don't see how the texting part is just so much better than SMS as FBA said.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I guess that makes sense if you need video chat or international calling...

    Just don't see how the texting part is just so much better than SMS as FBA said.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Fba stated that it is far better than texting. The difference between BBM and sms is BBM is instant. Sometimes it takes a minute for a text to go through and even longer for an image. BBM is almost instant for images and instant for texts.

    Also don't forget the group aspect of the app. Having the ability to have a group message with select photos and files that July the group can see is really good. You don't have to scroll through hundreds of messages to find your group images. They're all laid out for you in a folder.

    It's these reasons I choose to use BBM as well as having the ability to text internationally for free with it.

    You may not think the same but I feel the pro's outweigh the cons so I continue to use it.

    Sent from my gameboy color
  20. #20  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    BBM vs Text

    1) Video chat with BBM users (not yet implemented on IOS /Android)
    2) Voice chat with BBM users (not yet implemented on IOS /Android)
    3) Instant online communication with BBM users - with visibility and availability status of users
    4) Unobtrusive Read and Delivered notification for all messages
    5) Full file and desktop sharing with BBM users (not yet implemented on IOS /Android)

    There are more features in it, but it's been a while since I had a BB so I don't remember them all.

    There are no other IM's that offer anything close to or as robust as BBM. SMS/MMS isn't even in the same league as BBM, nor was it designed to be. Once BBM is fully integrated into IOS and Android, it will be unbeatable. Whatsapp doesn't come close and is a huge piece of crap that looks like it was written by a 2 year old. Not to mention that it's hugely unreliable on all platforms as well.

    SMS is s good platform, but for me BBM, has far more to offer. I have plenty of contacts on BBM both using BB devices, and non-BB devices.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    My first smart phones were blackberrry's, so I have some expereince with BBM. On my BB8800 and BB9000 it was a great option to expand functionality beyond texting on the BB at that time. there is no doubt it is better then straight texting. But eve on BB there was a desire for better IM clients. Many of the same ones are on Android. IM+, Trillian to name a few. Frankly i am tired of the slew of clients to choose from. Hell on the Note 3 we get 4 different software clients with the phone. The built in Messaging app, ATT messaging, Hangouts, and Chat on from Samsung.

    Don't get me wrong, BBM is fine, but I don't see it being that big with the saturated space on android phones for messaging apps. BBM's biggest appeal are to those that have had BBM on blackberies and remember how good it was.
    This. I am pretty close to having one messaging client per contact that I chat regularly with. To the point that when I change conversations I am used to changing apps, not changing conversations within the app.

    If RIM (now blackberry) had gotten out in front of this in 2006 or 2007 or so, I can easily imagine they would have settled into being the standard IM app and preventing anyone else from getting a serious toehold. As it is now the market is saturated and they're effectively a newcomer (outside for BBRY handsets themselves) and several other messengers have a lot of momentum that will be difficult to overcome.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Ah okay. Yeah I can see the functionality but personally it's not for me since I have to get people to use it and my friends are to lazy lol .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  23. #23  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    This. I am pretty close to having one messaging client per contact that I chat regularly with. To the point that when I change conversations I am used to changing apps, not changing conversations within the app.

    If RIM (now blackberry) had gotten out in front of this in 2006 or 2007 or so, I can easily imagine they would have settled into being the standard IM app and preventing anyone else from getting a serious toehold. As it is now the market is saturated and they're effectively a newcomer (outside for BBRY handsets themselves) and several other messengers have a lot of momentum that will be difficult to overcome.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    At 40 million downloads outside of Blackberry devices, I do not think it will be a tough market to overcome, not at all. BBM is known amongst many for it's capabilities - and that's why you now have another 40 million users in IOS and Android using it. You will see it grow exponentially over the next short while. It's a very strong contender in the IM market...almost without competition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Ah okay. Yeah I can see the functionality but personally it's not for me since I have to get people to use it and my friends are to lazy lol .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Time for new friends - LOL
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    At 40 million downloads outside of Blackberry devices, I do not think it will be a tough market to overcome, not at all. BBM is known amongst many for it's capabilities - and that's why you now have another 40 million users in IOS and Android using it. You will see it grow exponentially over the next short while. It's a very strong contender in the IM market...almost without competition.
    40 million is chump change these days, Whatsapp is at over 400 million, for example. Moreover I suspect more than half of those 40 million are India and middle-east, which is fine but those of us who are north american users have a much harder time finding BBM contacts.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  25. #25  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

    Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    40 million is chump change these days, Whatsapp is at over 400 million, for example. Moreover I suspect more than half of those 40 million are India and middle-east, which is fine but those of us who are north american users have a much harder time finding BBM contacts.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    40 million is in addition to the over 80 million BB users who already have it. Whatsapp is complete garbage anyway...not sure I believe they have 400 million unique active users...
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to encrypt device
    By MacGuyInNC in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM
  2. downloaded Samsung Knox app..how to disable?
    By spyderrc10gt2 in forum Samsung SAFE and KNOX
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 02:41 PM
  4. Walking mate on the watch as accurate as on the phone?
    By thegame161 in forum Samsung Galaxy Gear
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 11:14 AM
  5. Has anyone found a Desktop Charger?
    By Hitch_Itch in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

B