"Leakage" on display after dropping my Note 3 (have picture)

Viggo Liljefors

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey, so I accidently dropped my Note 3 on the ground. It hit the side of the phone, and at first there were no visible damage. After a few hours I started to notice a spot on the side of the display which in a couple of days have grown significantly in size (see attached picture). Does anyone know what's wrong, and what I should do (order new display, see if I can get money through home insurance etc.)?
Appreciate your help!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 73

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Bummer it happened. Personally, I would use your insurance. Fixing displays can be tricky as more often than not, other components are damaged in the process. That and you are paying for insurance for instances like this.

BMWBig6

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Do most homeowner insurance policies cover this type of stuff? Wouldn't the typical deductible be more than the price of a new or reconditioned Note 3?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do most homeowner insurance policies cover this type of stuff? Wouldn't the typical deductible be more than the price of a new or reconditioned Note 3?

Depends on how they are insured. I think my deductible is $200. Far cry from a new phone.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey, so I accidently dropped my Note 3 on the ground. It hit the side of the phone, and at first there were no visible damage. After a few hours I started to notice a spot on the side of the display which in a couple of days have grown significantly in size (see attached picture). Does anyone know what's wrong, and what I should do (order new display, see if I can get money through home insurance etc.)?
Appreciate your help!

When a phone is dropped, even if you can't see any exterior damage, there's a good chance of internal damage. Your best bet at this point is to see if you can get it replaced via insurance as someone else mentioned. Replacing the internal screen yourself, while it may fix the issue, if there is leakage to other components, there's a good chance that those components were exposed to the solvent and will prematurely wear. If you get it swapped out, at least you won't have to worry about other internal parts failing on you at a later time.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I am doubtful you can claim this on your home owners insurance. Its not meant to be used for your mistakes. I hope you bought insurance for just your phone through a provider that specializes in electronics. Had things been stolen from your house, then maybe. But, not for things like this. Unless you are paying for different options that would specifically cover your devices, and damage from use.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My post about insurance was under the assumption that he had insurance from the cell phone carrier, although I think some credit card companies have some insurance that covers damage if purchased on their card. Although, those credit card companies probably cancelled their insurance as more and more people started filing claims.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
My post about insurance was under the assumption that he had insurance from the cell phone carrier, although I think some credit card companies have some insurance that covers damage if purchased on their card. Although, those credit card companies probably cancelled their insurance as more and more people started filing claims.

I know what you were talking about. And credit cards won't allow claims on cell phones anymore. I think American Express is one of the better protection options, and they won't do it. Too much loss to not charge.

But the OP said home insurance. Which is where I got that from.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The only thing the op can do is send it in to be repaired. It's going to cost some but at least it will be repaired.

Posted via Android Central App