Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By fantom305
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 1 Post By TheMacs
  • 2 Post By NotJustAPhone
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    I charge my phone at night, is it safe for it to remain on the charger until I'm ready to use it?

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by MArk50789 View Post
    I charge my phone at night, is it safe for it to remain on the charger until I'm ready to use it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I do that a lot. It doesn't really hurt the battery. Now, having it plugged in and then using a resource intensive app would, due to extra heat generated. I am guessing it would take a good 3 hours to charge the Note 3 from near depletion anyway? If so, that is almost half the night.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Welcome to the forums, by the way!!!

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    From what I've read, yes it's fine. The charging circuitry in smartphones will continue to accept charge until the battery is full, at which point it will switch to "top up" mode, where it will maintain the full charge without overcharging. I always charge overnight, no matter what my battery is at. I've never had a problem. Mind you, I have a Galaxy nexus but the way the charging circuitry operates is exactly the same, regardless of the phone.

    Short version, charge it overnight and don't worry about.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

    Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by MArk50789 View Post
    I charge my phone at night, is it safe for it to remain on the charger until I'm ready to use it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Better not, while it doesn't damage the battery in the short term, keeping battery at high voltage, which corresponds to high battery percentage, overall is not good for longevity of the battery.

    However, because the battery is replaceable, do whatever you find convenient.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by MArk50789 View Post
    I charge my phone at night, is it safe for it to remain on the charger until I'm ready to use it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    some peeps has their screen broken...I wonder if it is not related to leave it plug in all night and the phone overheat.
  6. #6  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Better not, while it doesn't damage the battery in the short term, keeping battery at high voltage, which corresponds to high battery percentage, overall is not good for longevity of the battery.

    However, because the battery is replaceable, do whatever you find convenient.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    By the same logic you apply, charging to 100% is bad for the battery and actually, it is.

    Battery cycles will be greater when charging to under max charge each time, so you could technically get more cycles out of the battery, but, it's highly inconvenient too. These batteries will achieve 500 complete charging cycles no matter which way you charge them..and for $25 you can buy another one in two years, which is about when the original one will die.

    To say to the OP that they'd better not, is pretty much incorrect.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Well two cents are that ... I have done it with my HTC's phones.... my S3...S4 and now my Note 3 and I never had any problem immediately or in the long run. ... All I know is that when my phone gets to 100% the charging turns off and stays like that until I disconnect it....
    ffejjj and Oofa like this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    I've been doing this for years. You may shorten the life span of the battery some, but by that time you can just buy a new one.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    It'll shorten the life of the battery some, but even if you had to replace it in just a year, is that really all that big a deal?

  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    no not when you have a removeable battery. I sometimes leave it on change from 11pm til around 5am or later..it doesn't hurt your battery at all. You have to charge it at some point.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    It would seem that phones without a removable battery are up chit's creek. I said that to say, the "removable battery" is a strong feature..
  12. #12  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Had the Note 3 not come with a replaceable battery, I never would have purchased it. That's an Apple thing where they feel that you should dump the phone when the battery is done; goes way back to the days of the 1st iPOD. Screw Apple. Do I toss my car out when the battery goes dead?
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    buttaz718 likes this.
  13. #13  
    TheMacs's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    We could debate this forever, but real-world testing is unlikely.

    This ultimately isn't really even worth arguing about... In two years, with inflation, I don't think this battery will be even $25. I just got a replacement battery for a 2-year old S2 for $9, delivered.

    Again, I'm with FBA. I replaceable battery is a must. The iphone is a total PIA, heck the screws to get into the stupid thing are proprietary. And the amount of glue they use...
    Thanked by:
    kj11 
    buttaz718 likes this.
  14. #14  
    Oofa's Avatar

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    Had the Note 3 not come with a replaceable battery, I never would have purchased it. That's an Apple thing where they feel that you should dump the phone when the battery is done; goes way back to the days of the 1st iPOD. Screw Apple. Do I toss my car out when the battery goes dead?
    I think people make way too much out of the whole removable/non-removable battery issue. I have several phones with non-replaceable batteries and in the few years that I've had some of them, I have always charged overnight and not had any problems whatsoever. I haven't had to replace any battery on any phone I've ever used. The only reason I've bought batteries is to have back ups for when I'm not near a charger. Come to think of it, I've never heard of anyone having a non-removable battery that needed replacing. If they did need replacing, it's quite easy to do so. No need to dump your phone because it needs a new battery. If you don't toss your car when the battery goes dead, you shouldn't toss your car when you need a mechanic to work on it.
  15. #15  
    kj11's Avatar

    Posts
    519 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    This ultimately isn't really even worth arguing about...
    Hahaha. Fact.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  16. #16  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    I think people make way too much out of the whole removable/non-removable battery issue. I have several phones with non-replaceable batteries and in the few years that I've had some of them, I have always charged overnight and not had any problems whatsoever. I haven't had to replace any battery on any phone I've ever used. The only reason I've bought batteries is to have back ups for when I'm not near a charger. Come to think of it, I've never heard of anyone having a non-removable battery that needed replacing. If they did need replacing, it's quite easy to do so. No need to dump your phone because it needs a new battery. If you don't toss your car when the battery goes dead, you shouldn't toss your car when you need a mechanic to work on it.
    I suppose if you like having to keep your phone plugged into the car charger while driving, then a fixed battery phone is fine, or if you're ready to deal with the issues around a bad or defective battery (while under warranty) and paying a fortune to get it replaced, then a fixed battery phone is ok. Just doesn't work for me, for a lot of reasons, but to each their own. Apple sells a boatload of iPhones every year, but I'd never buy one. Don't like them, IOS is outdated and there are far better devices to choose from in the Android market today.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  17. #17  
    Oofa's Avatar

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    I suppose if you like having to keep your phone plugged into the car charger while driving, then a fixed battery phone is fine, or if you're ready to deal with the issues around a bad or defective battery (while under warranty) and paying a fortune to get it replaced, then a fixed battery phone is ok. Just doesn't work for me, for a lot of reasons, but to each their own. Apple sells a boatload of iPhones every year, but I'd never buy one. Don't like them, IOS is outdated and there are far better devices to choose from in the Android market today.
    I have never, ever had to keep my phone plugged into a car charger while driving but it is easier than toting around extra batteries and as I stated before, I have not heard of anyone that has had to "pay a fortune" to get their fixed battery replaced. That was my point. And yes..... we get it.... you are angry at Apple, would never buy their products and think the most successful OS in the world is outdated. You are correct.... to each their own.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I do that a lot. It doesn't really hurt the battery. Now, having it plugged in and then using a resource intensive app would, due to extra heat generated. I am guessing it would take a good 3 hours to charge the Note 3 from near depletion anyway? If so, that is almost half the night.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Welcome to the forums, by the way!!!
    ^^this^^ The only time I can think of that it could actually hurt you phone is with excessive heat. Such as navigation in the car while plugged in or watching a lot of videos while charging. Simply leaving your phone on the charger at night...idol. No harm there.

    Been doing that since my first phone ever

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Alain_A View Post
    some peeps has their screen broken...I wonder if it is not related to leave it plug in all night and the phone overheat.
    Than it would've happened with other phones too..
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    It's fine. You keep a phone what... 2 years at most? Some people maybe 3?(on average).... If it did any real harm during that time you drop $30 and get a brand spanking new one.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  21. #21  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    I have never, ever had to keep my phone plugged into a car charger while driving but it is easier than toting around extra batteries and as I stated before, I have not heard of anyone that has had to "pay a fortune" to get their fixed battery replaced. That was my point. And yes..... we get it.... you are angry at Apple, would never buy their products and think the most successful OS in the world is outdated. You are correct.... to each their own.
    No need for your patronizing tone. There is no"we" here, only "you", because you haven't a clue who feels what around here. In fact, you haven't a clue, period

    Try not to be so assuming and condescending in your posts, it just shows your ignorance.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    By the same logic you apply, charging to 100% is bad for the battery and actually, it is.

    Battery cycles will be greater when charging to under max charge each time, so you could technically get more cycles out of the battery, but, it's highly inconvenient too. These batteries will achieve 500 complete charging cycles no matter which way you charge them..and for $25 you can buy another one in two years, which is about when the original one will die.

    To say to the OP that they'd better not, is pretty much incorrect.
    It does reduce the number of charge cycles you can get. However, as you said, it doesn't really matter because after say even just a year you can buy a new battery. It's not worth worrying about unless you really need to get the absolute longest service life from your battery, and then it'll be a ton of effort, and you won't have as long of run times.


  23. #23  
    Oofa's Avatar

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    No need for your patronizing tone. There is no"we" here, only "you", because you haven't a clue who feels what around here. In fact, you haven't a clue, period

    Try not to be so assuming and condescending in your posts, it just shows your ignorance.
    LOL!! You are a sensitive little guy! Angry about Apple, angry about BlackBerry, angry about a lot..... relax...Sorry you got stomped on. I didn't think my post was patronizing but now that I see where you are coming from, I guess what I posted would make you go nuts.
  24. #24  
    NotJustAPhone's Avatar

    Posts
    11,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,759 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

    Default Re: Is it safe to leave it on the charger

    Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I suggest that the participants of this thread take the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the forum rules. Thanks.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4
    ffejjj and Oofa like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM
  2. Sending pictures and videos on the note 3
    By SGEN3 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM
  3. "Leakage" on display after dropping my Note 3 (have picture)
    By Viggo Liljefors in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 06:01 AM
  4. WiFi Tether on Verizon with Unlimited Data
    By DayThyme in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 06:27 PM
  5. App plays soundfile during phoning to dialog partner
    By max232232232 in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

B