Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

Man In Black 805

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Will the Note 3 charge any faster than 1200maH? I've tried multiple chargers / cable combo's including 2.1 amp versions and the max charging rate I can get according to my Galaxy Charging Current app is 1200maH, that's the same as 1.2 amp right? So a 2.1 amp charger or above is pointless correct?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Max Charging Current

I'm under the impression that the max speed is 2000 mAH for this device. I've seen several people say they average around 1800 mAH for the full cycle, but phones don't charge at a constant rate, but increase/decrease power draw dynamically throughout the charge and the max speed is governed by the lesser of the maximum the circuit inside the device and the throughput of the charging cable and the output of the actual charger (if separate).

Edit: Found out that the device governs itself at 1200mA while the screen is on (of power pushed into the battery storage).

Last edited:

Man In Black 805

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm under the impression that the max speed is 2000 mAH for this device. I've seen several people say they average around 1800 mAH for the full cycle, but phones don't charge at a constant rate, but increase/decrease power draw dynamically throughout the charge and the max speed is governed by the lesser of the maximum the circuit inside the device and the throughput of the charging cable and the output of the actual charger (if separate).

Well, how are they measuring it? The only way I know how is through that app I mentioned, and I never see anything higher than 1200maH even using my Ventev 2.1 amp charger & cable, how can you tell if it's charging at 1800mah?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You can do a hand calculation --

If the wall charger has a 2.1 amp hour charge capacity...add a 25% loss on that and it means it would deliver 2.1 amps less 25% (per hour); in other words, 1.575 amps per hour. The phone battery is 3.2 amps. It will charge a battery from 0-100% in a hair over 2 hours...and it does exactly that. Effectively, you would see it charge between 1.25-1.8 amps at any time, which is what I see.

If you use a 1.2 amp charger, it will just take longer. You need a 2.1 amp charger to get full charging speed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

If you're using this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...laxychargingcurrent.free&hl=en&token=Lx0YhW-W it says:

Compatibility list:

- Most Galaxy S4 models.
- International Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-I9300 and GT-I9305).
- South Korean Samsung Galaxy S III (SHV-E210K/L/S).
- International Samsung Galaxy Note II (GT-N7105).
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II (SCH-i605).

It may also work on other devices, but such is not guaranteed.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&hl=en&token=ybHyEo1- (Battery Monitor Widget) is one I have used before and it does list the Note 3, however Samsung devices have notoriously been difficult to measure voltage on because of something they and I think Moto do differently in kernel integration.

More info from XDA: The stock charger (2A) will charge 1800 mA while in standby (the screen is off) and 1200 mA while the screen is on. In addition, the phone is drawing another 200 mA while in standby to power the device while it charges at 1800 mA and 800 while on (just the delta from 2A). So your battery monitor is probably right, that aside from what it allocates to device power (800mA), it's netting 1200mA. Devices also charge faster up to 50% than they do when above 50%. Anything above 2A (2.1A, 10A, etc) will still be governed at the 2A that the device supports.

If these numbers are correct, you should be able to take your (100% - battery level %)*battery capacity/(1.8A or 1.2A, depending on if on or off) = theoretical charge time in hours. Divide that by roughly 80% and that should be your total charge time, give or take a reasonable margin.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
uge3e8ur.jpg

OEM Note 3 charger

y4enabe6.jpg

Old OEM LG Charger using Note 3 white charging cable.

Guess there's a big difference in these chargers.

from "Ms Note 3"

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsung supplies a 2 Amp output charger. So using a charger with an output of 2.0 to 2.4 amps would seem to be suitable. While I have charged my Note 3 using a 1 amp charger it definitely took longer than on the OEM 2 amp charger. A 700 mAmp charger couldn't even hold Note 3 battery level when the phone was on and idle.
If you are running an app and have the screen on to read it then you can't be seeing the max charge capacity as you are using battery to power those items.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's why I only use LG Charger when I need to borrow Samsung charger to power my tablet.

from "Ms Note 3"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Seems people won't believe me but both my 0.7A Samsung car snd spare one piece wall charger from my sold GS2 charge/top up my Note 3 just fine. Same speed as on my GS2 it seems. Whem I get home the 2.0 A feels supercharged and turbo charged by comparison. But those 20-30 minute mid top ups make a huge difference. I will have to time the 0.7A soon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You can do a hand calculation --

If the wall charger has a 2.1 amp hour charge capacity...add a 25% loss on that and it means it would deliver 2.1 amps less 25% (per hour); in other words, 1.575 amps per hour. The phone battery is 3.2 amps. It will charge a battery from 0-100% in a hair over 2 hours...and it does exactly that. Effectively, you would see it charge between 1.25-1.8 amps at any time, which is what I see.

If you use a 1.2 amp charger, it will just take longer. You need a 2.1 amp charger to get full charging speed.

The charger is 5v/2.1a. But the battery is 3.8v/3.2a or 12.16w-h. The battery will charge quickly up to about 85% then the charging will slow

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems people won't believe me but both my 0.7A Samsung car snd spare one piece wall charger from my sold GS2 charge/top up my Note 3 just fine. Same speed as on my GS2 it seems. Whem I get home the 2.0 A feels supercharged and turbo charged by comparison. But those 20-30 minute mid top ups make a huge difference. I will have to time the 0.7A soon.

0.7a would be slow. I use an 8 amp charger and can get about 60% charge in an hour. Also keep in mind that I am running hotspot.

ve6y3yna.jpg

ymube4u7.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How about the cable that you use? Seems to me that it's consistent based on tests that the cable affects how much current is delivered to the device, so the cable is a factor.

Posted via Android Central App
Stock cable, I have some older lg and TouchPad microusb, all charge at a high rate. I also have an Amazon basics usb 3 cable which works well too.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3