Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Definitely sticking to metal phones.

So the inevitable happened. Phone fell out of pajama pants this weekend. Would not have been a problem had I not removed the carpet in the study for the hardwood like the wife wanted. Just smooth concrete now which some of you may know is not as soft as carpet. So phone fell out of pocket and was laying in the chair. I felt it slide out and instinctively reached to grab it. I missed and pushed it out the back of the chair. So the phone fell about 12"-18". My old phone was an HTC Titan WP. It survived 3 falls from kitchen counter height to ceramic tile with less damage than this phone received. My Titan had 2 dents, after 2 years of use, of smaller diameter than this one. I am not sure how this phone is going to survive for 2 years without a case at some point.

Bad samsung. I love the faux leather back, but the plastic edge needs to be real metal, not faux. Day I got this phone I thought the plastic felt "soft" around the edge. Not the high quality plastic I would have assumed an all plastic phone manufacturer would choose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Definitely sticking to metal phones.-dent.jpg  

Default Re: Definitely sticking to metal phones.

Metal gets damaged to. All do. Phones aren't meant to be dropped hence why the case business is booming .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    Amir 
    Gator352 and boudicca00 like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well metal is still stronger and much more durable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Definitely sticking to metal phones.-uploadfromtaptalk1388445313437.jpg   Definitely sticking to metal phones.-uploadfromtaptalk1388445325121.jpg  
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

buy replacement bezel on ebay? i did for my note2 when I still had it, $15 and brand new again...
    Gator352 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus96 View Post
    buy replacement bezel on ebay? i did for my note2 when I still had it, $15 and brand new again...
    Yup! At least the plastic can be fixed pretty easy.

I wonder if the OP took a sharpie to try & fix the scuffs on that metal frame?

Hey OP....here ya go...

Amazon.com: OtterBox Defender Series Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Well metal is still stronger and much more durable.
    While that is a fact so is my statement. They know they'll be dropped but they can't make them lighter and skinner without sacrificing something.

Either way it sucks. I have one tiny knick on mine but that's my fault for dropping it.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

How does one go about replacing the frame of a note 3? I see screws when I pull the back off if I remove those is the surround bumper edge a separate piece?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

No offense but the titan isn't really comparable. about as much weight as the note 3 but has a 4.7" screen and half the battery size.

But let's be realistic for a second. Even a metal phone can get a cracked screen from a lower drop, depending on how it falls.

If having a metal phone is the most important criterion, then you should certainly pick up a metal phone

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Took a chance with plastic despite the overwhelming Internet criticism of plastic phones. Iphone is tiny but light as a feather and metal. Yes metal may be heavier but at the same thickness as plastic will be stronger. Titan was a well built device except the back was not that well attached. I have never had a cracked screen from a drop. Yes any phone that falls flat on screen will likely cracked the screen. I was comparing back drops of my Titan and n3. Titan was Far the winner.

Took a chance with plastic despite the overwhelming Internet criticism of plastic phones. Iphone is tiny but light as a feather and metal. Yes metal may be heavier but at the same thickness as plastic will be stronger. Titan was a well built device except the back was not that well attached. I have never had a cracked screen from a drop. Yes any phone that falls flat on screen will likely cracked the screen. I was comparing back drops of my Titan and n3. Titan was Far the winner.

The titan was built like a tank. If the note were built like that, it would be much heavier. But if the back cover is a concern, get a third party back cover. And at a bumper would prevent the side damage.

Of course, the cases that were on sale for $1 would do a better job of protection, but they are also more bulky.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    boudicca00 likes this.

With a $750.00 price tag on those phone . It need a case. I have the outer commuter box.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    Dog5000 likes this.

If you want to compare old crappy phones let's just say the old Nextel phones are the winner. You could run them over with a truck and keep right on chugging.

kj11, Gator352 and UJ95x like this.

For $11 you can get a very good Spiegen case on Amazon. ..not only will it or any case protect your phone..but you also get a phone with a much better feel in your hand....much better grip.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts

Sorry for your loss power5. A replacement bezel will be available, if it isn't already. And while I fly naked too (at least no case), so I can't really complain if/when it happens to me, a couple buck case is well worth the insurance on a couple hundred dollar phone. Good luck

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

I just looked at the same spot on my phone that OP shows and I had a little bubble there. I took the spen out and it is very flimsy plastic. I barely put any pressure and you can see the plastic bend a little.
    Don't get me wrong, the Note 3 is the best phone I have ever owned, just wish the build quality would be a bit more sturdy.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

FWIW, I got a much worse ding on my metal HTC One than the one on your Note 3 from a fall onto concrete from a similar height as the one you have described. It is honestly more about the physics of the particular fall than it is about what material your phone is made from.

Also, I also had a Titan! It is sitting on my bathroom counter right now because I had to pull it into service for a couple weeks as a back up not to long ago!
    Gator352 likes this.
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

Hmmmm, I think this is exactly why cases are a such a large cottage industry. Because you should use one on your phone....wow.

What the **** do you expect when dropping ANY phone on concrete, metal or plastic?????
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    Hmmmm, I think this is exactly why cases are a such a large cottage industry. Because you should use one on your phone....wow.

What the **** do you expect when dropping ANY phone on concrete, metal or plastic?????
    Don't get me wrong, I use cases on all my phones, with a few to choose from for every phone.
    But phones are also designed to be enjoyed the way they are from the manufacturer.. For example the Note 3 has a very comfortable to hold faux leather back. How can they be enjoyed with a case on?
    Phones "should" be also designed to withstand a little abuse before crumbling.
    Having a plastic frame might be a shortfall on the design of the Note 3. It doesn't make it a bad device by any means though.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vpblaze View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I use cases on all my phones, with a few to choose from for every phone.
    But phones are also designed to be enjoyed the way they are from the manufacturer.. For example the Note 3 has a very comfortable to hold faux leather back. How can they be enjoyed with a case on?
    Having a plastic frame might be a shortfall on the design of the Note 3. It doesn't make it a bad device by any means though.

Concerning what you said about enjoying the leather back, and considering the damage done to the edges, you might consider just getting a bumper case. It'll only protect the sides, leaving the back free but protecting your phone's edges nonetheless.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

Yeah, that's true. I have also been thinking of picking up the S View case. Still provides the comfortable feel while adding some protection.

FBA

Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vpblaze View Post

Pretty much nothing will survive a fall from 4-ft on concrete without scuffing or damage, except for maybe some composites and rubbers...
    These phones won't survive that and stay damage free - they're phones, not lacrosse balls...
    I can't see how a metal phone would survive it either without scuffing....but maybe that's just me.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    Gator352 and boudicca00 like this.

Laptops come in metal or plastic. They are built to withstand a little abuse but a drop onto concrete...it will suffer damage. ANYTHING can suffer damage from a fall onto concrete, tile, asphalt, and hard clay. You have a choice. Either protect it or don't. Either way. You don't protect it but accidentally drop it onto concrete then punt it across a parking lot, your fault, not the manufacturers.
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I dropped mine on concrete from eye level, and it's only a tiny dent. No scratches or any other random stuff.
    Luck is a factor too when you drop your phone.

You could make a phone out of the most durable material available, but if you don't bother taking care of it then it's just going to prematurely fail you. There's a reason that children's toys are made out of durable material, it's because they're rough and irresponsible with their things. Give me an elegant looking device that is meant to be taken care of. Keep the kiddie proofed devices, I'll gladly use my device that requires some level of responsibility that not everyone has mastered.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

You realise if the phone was metal... in addition to the scratches you'd have a huge dent on your phone right???

Posted via Android Central App
    boudicca00 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast