1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Shattered rear camera glass cover!

Hi, last night I dropped my phone on it's back and the camera cover glass shattered. Does anybody know how much it might cost to replace it at a repair shop or if it's easy to fix by yourself?
    Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Shattered rear camera glass cover!

I wondered how many of these new year's related drops we'd see today.

Google would be your best bet, but I think since it's a relatively new phone, parts other than the touch screen are going to be difficult to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by barucch View Post
    Hi, last night I dropped my phone on it's back and the camera cover glass shattered. Does anybody know how much it might cost to replace it at a repair shop or if it's easy to fix by yourself?
    Thanks!

This phone is expensive so did you have a case*

Thanks!

You're sending that puppy to Sammy to get fixed. There are no after market parts for the camera that would be easy. And yeah, it's gonna cost.

Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    This phone is expensive so did you have a case*

Prolly not.
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    You're sending that puppy to Sammy to get fixed. There are no after market parts for the camera that would be easy. And yeah, it's gonna cost.

Prolly not.
    Not true - plenty of aftermarket parts:

$22... lens cover is a part of this item.

Disassembly instructions:

Google is a magical tool, you know.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you guys! No, stupidly I didn't have a case on, which sucks.

I'll check the self repair out though!

Quote Originally Posted by DrSavant View Post

Sure Google is a magical tool. But you see, I said there are no after market parts that would be easy. I didn't say that there WASN'T any after market parts so reading is a magical tool also. If you think ripping apart an N3 with those instructions you provided just to replace the camera glass is easy...or cheap...because the chance of breaking something else is second to none, you're sadly mistaken.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Do you know if I'll need any technical knowledge in order to do the repairing myself or if it's just undoing / refastening the screws ?

Read those instructions and see if you think you can do it. It's pretty intuitive. But I would say I think you could do it with a little patients and time.

Sure Google is a magical tool. But you see, I said there are no after market parts that would be easy. I didn't say that there WASN'T any after market parts so reading is a magical tool also. If you think ripping apart an N3 with those instructions you provided just to replace the camera glass is easy...or cheap...because the chance of breaking something else is second to none, you're sadly mistaken.
    If you intended to say, as per the above, using commas wouldn't hurt - makes your intent clearer

Anyone with hands growing out of the right place, can follow the provided instructions, excersizing reasonable care, and not screw anything up - I've replaced iPhone digitizers and etc, and I don't believe a PhD is required - many phone repair places are employing half wits, who couldn't finish high school (of course there are some brilliant repair people, but this is not about them).

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Do you know if I'll need any technical knowledge in order to do the repairing myself or if it's just undoing / refastening the screws ?

As Gator said, you don't - just be careful. If you don't feel comfortable doing any of the illustrated things (you need to follow only some of the steps), you should seek qualified help.

By qualified help I don't mean Samsung - this would be an unnecessary waste of money. Find a reputable phone repair place, and bring your own parts, once you negotiate a rate for the labour.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks I think I'll give it a try

As Gator said, you don't - just be careful. If you don't feel comfortable doing any of the illustrated things (you need to follow only some of the steps), you should seek qualified help.

By qualified help I don't mean Samsung - this would be an unnecessary waste of money. Find a reputable phone repair place, and bring your own parts, once you negotiate a rate for the labour.

I trust repair shops about as much a trust a hooker with a .357.

I trust repair shops about as much a trust a hooker with a .357.
    You missed the "reputable" part

There are a few, in my neck of the woods - should not be a unique situation

You missed the "reputable" part

There are a few, in my neck of the woods - should not be a unique situation

I've never met a "reputable" repair shop of anything. Phones, cars, vacuums, and etc. They are all rip off artists. I know, I know, they need to feed their family too. But when you negotiate a repair for a certain amount and then all of a sudden, it's twice as much....you're screaming WTF! Well, you either pay it or let them keep it. In this case, vengeance is mine!

I've never met a "reputable" repair shop of anything. Phones, cars, vacuums, and etc. They are all rip off artists. I know, I know, they need to feed their family too. But when you negotiate a repair for a certain amount and then all of a sudden, it's twice as much....you're screaming WTF! Well, you either pay it or let them keep it. In this case, vengeance is mine!
    Well, I feel for you. I was growing up when people still had values, and while in high school, I worked at a tv repair place - the owner was one of the most honest people I ever met, really going out of his way to help people, and demanding the same from his employees....

Well, I feel for you. I was growing up when people still had values, and while in high school, I worked at a tv repair place - the owner was one of the most honest people I ever met, really going out of his way to help people, and demanding the same from his employees....

Well, I'm 42 and I guess I'm stuck in the middle. Sure, there are a few honest people in the world and will never, EVER, dispute that. But with my experiences has been hit and miss. You can't say that everyone you have had dealings with has been 100% honest. Can you?