Help please for an iPhone user

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Note 3 since Friday and find it's everything I thought it would be and more. It's looking beautiful too in my Spigen Neo Hybrid in yellow.

I am confused though when it comes to apps and home screens.

Apple in their infinite wisdom keep things simple by not letting you do anything in the first place, so the APPS icon is confusing me.

Some of my apps that I have downloaded appear on my home screens but others I only see when I tough the APPS icon.

On the iPhone you just had up to 11 screens all showing apps.

I don't really know what to search for for help.

Also Touchwiz is a little confusing as I am a new user to Android, I don't really know what is TW and what is AOSP.

I love learning new things which is one of the reasons I went for the SGN3 in preference to the 5S.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the good side bro lol. First off android is your choice so u have to get out of the closed source mindstate apple likes. The app icon is an app drawer with all of your apps in your phone. U can choose to have all of your apps on the homescreen or some or none at all its your choice. Touchwiz is samsungs android skin they put on their products. Mostly every major android oem uses different skins aosp is pure android with no added skins or bloat wear.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Note 3 since Friday and find it's everything I thought it would be and more. It's looking beautiful too in my Spigen Neo Hybrid in yellow.

I am confused though when it comes to apps and home screens.

Apple in their infinite wisdom keep things simple by not letting you do anything in the first place, so the APPS icon is confusing me.

Some of my apps that I have downloaded appear on my home screens but others I only see when I tough the APPS icon.

On the iPhone you just had up to 11 screens all showing apps.

I don't really know what to search for for help.

Also Touchwiz is a little confusing as I am a new user to Android, I don't really know what is TW and what is AOSP.

I love learning new things which is one of the reasons I went for the SGN3 in preference to the 5S.

Central got it pretty well. The app drawer, or Apps is like the Start menu for Windows, and the home screens is like the desktop screen, except you have several of them. Basically, when you install a new app, a shortcut is placed on the home screen and it's permanent place is also in the app drawer.

- - - Updated - - -

In case no one has said so yet, Welcome to the forums, and Android! :D

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
One thing that helps is changing the settings under Google Play so that it does not automatically add icons for new apps to your home screen and clutter it up. That way you can install new apps and try them out for a while. If you decide to keep the app you can then drag the icon from the main app drawer to any of your home screens.

Open Google Play, touch the menu button and select settings:

1389130306823.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Desktop vs Start Menu I get that idea. It's clearer now. I think I will set it so that it does not add apps automatically.

Now to customise my screens.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Also, make sure you check out the widgets section under apps. These can come in very handy!

That is the beauty of being able to customize, not just put apps in folders (which you can also with Android). You set the pages up HOW YOU LIKE, based on what YOU USE. Go here and look at how people truly customize their phones!

Nemephosis

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
As someone who went from an iPhone to an HTC One (and now a Note 3) I will tell you this. Yes, it will be hard to transition. Yes, you will look at your iPhone and yes, even if it is unreasonable, the thought of flaking and heading back to it will cross your mind. A few times.

But absolutely, give Android a try. Give it a fair shake, it took me about a week before I saw my HTC One as my daily driver. I would still carry my iPhone with me for the games, music etc. for the next month as well, but I managed to break away from that too, and was able to start leaving it at home.

Now I have a huge, beautiful Note 3, I can customize it exactly the way I want to, I can modify it, I can do whatever I like to it. I can't imagine ever going back to such a closed off platform like iOS.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the other side!

The sheer volume of things you can now do is almost limitless.

There are several very very good threads in the General Help Forum. Milo and Diddy (and others) did wonderful work on a couple of these that will really help you out a lot.

If you get stuck, many here are very helpful.

Cheers!