1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Poor auxiliary output from Note 3

Short version:
    Note 3 not providing proper auxiliary output, leaving the music sounding flat and nowhere near as good as the phone can provide. I'm looking for a fix rather than an amp app, as this just amplifies a poor signal rather than fixing the underlying issue.

Long version:
    I recently purchased a Galaxy Note 3 on contract and, while the overall function of the phone is stellar and a joy to use, I've been having a pretty annoying audio problem which is really taking away a large portion of that joy. Basically, I drive quite a lot, and I always use my phone to play music through my AUX port with a two way stereo cable. On my previous phone this sounded more than adequate, if not excellent, but with the Galaxy Note 3 I'm finding the auxiliary audio to be missing quite a lot - this isn't just a volume issue, there's definitely a bunch of frequencies just not pulling through to my sound system.

I'm 99% certain this isn't just poor audio quality from the phone itself as, about 30 minutes into a 45 minute journey, the music I was listening to exploded into life. It was the best I've ever heard this particular track sound (even on my previous phone), so I know the phone is capable of much better output - I just haven't been able to replicate this fluke in the few days since it happened.

I've tested it fairly extensively and even obtained a replacement handset as I had free tech support for a month as part of my contract, and they diagnosed a faulty audio jack. As the sound isn't intermittent, I don't believe this to be the case. The audio can also be set at an acceptable level on any other device I connect yet, when I connect my Note 3, you can't hear the audio until I raise the phone's headphones volume to full and crank my car volume up another 4 or 5 notches - and even then the audio isn't as 'full' as it should be; the vocals sound distant, there are instruments much, much quieter than they should be and overall the audio feels incomplete.

I've tested 4 different phones now (my original Note 3 purchased 6th January, an HTC1, an iPhone 4S and now my replacement Note 3 obtained 11th January). The differences between the iPhone or HTC1 playing the same track through the same program (Spotify) is like night and day.

I also tested 3 different auxiliary stereo cables with each of the above phones (2 belkin models and a bog standard cable) and all are perfectly fine with the other two phones but lacking on the Note 3.

Lastly, I tested to see if it was a software issue and ripped 5 tracks at CD quality that I had access to on Spotify, playing each track in the native music player followed by its Spotify version - both suffered the same 'incomplete' feel.

Given these tests and the fact that the phone *has* played amazing audio on one occasion so far, I'm at a complete loss as to what the issue could be. My AUX port and cables obviously work fine, and other phones work fine. It's not a software issue as far as media players are concerned and there's no equaliser setting that I have set up on the Note 3.

Thanks so much in advance if anyone can shed light on this, as it's really one of my main uses for my phone as far as day-to-day tasks are concerned, and the audio is bugging me so much that I've started listening to the radio for the first time in about 5 years

Cheers
    Matt

Default Re: Poor auxiliary output from Note 3

I use my Note 3 daily to listen to music with my aux cable and it works perfectly! Which player are you using, stock or Google play music? Spotify sounds bad also??

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi Mike,

As mentioned, the AUX output works, but I'm finding it severely lacking compared to both the same music on other phones and the fact that the output kicked in fully seemingly at random on a journey, so I know it's capable of much more than it's currently providing (which, having listened in the car on the way to work this morning, almost sounds mono).

I would usually use Spotify as I pay for premium, but I tested the native music app and find the same lack of quality.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

I'd say it sounds like a hardware fault on your particular handset. Can you try another Note 3?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

As mentioned in the OP, I've already obtained a replacement handset and performed the same testing on that Note 3.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

If I can't diagnose/fix the problem I'm contemplating a reasonably priced bluetooth audio receiver into the AUX port. If anyone has any suggestions for a good one I'd appreciate it

One car I use blutetooh and it sounds great and the other car I use the cord that comes with my ibolt car dock and it sounds very good. Not sure what's wrong with yours.. Try a different aux cord I guess.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

As also mentioned above, I've tried 3 separate aux cables, all of which work perfectly fine with other phones, and one of which produced the stellar sound output a few days ago in the middle of a journey.

It sounds like you have tried every thing that would make sense, my Note 3 seems fine, but I do use neutron as my music player, and I EQ it, might not be a "fix", but to my ears it sounds much better than stock and the sound profile is very customizable.

Is the phone in a case? I had the same issue with mine and removed the case and reset the cable and the problem went away. It seems that you were very thorough in your testing but it only took a small amount of movement in the cable to cause the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Y'know that's the one thing I hadn't even considered! I got the official Samsung flip case with it when I purchased the phone, so I've never had it caseless for any comparison. I'll definitely give that a go and report back, cheers

That would be my bet. I had the same problem with a large headphone plug and the official case.

yes180914yes

Quote Originally Posted by putsometrebleinit View Post
    Is the phone in a case? I had the same issue with mine and removed the case and reset the cable and the problem went away. It seems that you were very thorough in your testing but it only took a small amount of movement in the cable to cause the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I'm gonna be that is exactly the issue. I would say the plug is not fully being inserted into the phone and that's why the sound is so bad. The reason for the "sudden" jump in volume is because it probably momentarily got pushed in enough to get a strong connection.

I noticed the other day on my TMO note 3 that the BT sound will fluctuate and its very noticeable.
    It only happens when im using Google Play Music. It also seems to happen when switching from tracks or if the app goes into backroung and i start doing something else..
    I literally have to stop the song and start it again to bring up full volume.
    When i listen to music on SiriusXM app i have no problems.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Hi again guys, I tried it tonight with both the original back and no back, with all 3 variants of the 3.5mm aux cables I have. No connection issues and the cable definitely can't go any further in - still the same issue!

I've received an email from Samsung telling me to take my device to a repair center but I'm certain they can't help, as this is the second handset I've had (my contract only started a week ago) and I don't see 2 handsets having the same crap audio output as a hardware fault. Still at a loss! Pricing bluetooth audio receivers just now but it's pretty annoying being more out of pocket on this when I feel the phone doesn't perform as well as it should. Hopefully can find the root of the problem before I have to fork out more dough.

I would definitely get another replacement. Very unlikely, but it could happen that both happened to have the same problem.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Did anyone suggest that the audio component that your plugging into has a faulty aux jack?

love my evo.

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Did anyone suggest that the audio component that your plugging into has a faulty aux jack?

He said that it works fine with other phones, it looks like he has done a thorough job of trouble shooting to me, no idea what his problem could be as my Note 3 does fine with everything I've tried it on.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    It sounds like you have tried every thing that would make sense, my Note 3 seems fine, but I do use neutron as my music player, and I EQ it, might not be a "fix", but to my ears it sounds much better than stock and the sound profile is very customizable.
    Do you use an EQ from within Neutron or do you have a dedicated EQ app you could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMatt View Post
    Do you use an EQ from within Neutron or do you have a dedicated EQ app you could recommend?
    From within Neutron, Neutron has a learning curve, but I find the sound quality on a powerful device such as the note 3, to be excellent.

Neutron uses a true parametric equaliser. There's definitely a learning curve but it's worth the effort. It won't cure the OP's problem though. What about the actual cable itself? Have you tried another? Have you tried it with headphones?

Sent from my SM-N9005
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Yeah I tried over-ear headphones, in-ear earphones and 3 separate aux cables (2 different belkin models and 1 bog standard cable).

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input (I'll click through the thank buttons when I have more time after work). I ended up just biting the bullet and ordering one of these:

Can't really be bothered getting another handset, and the Samsung repairs department are pretty unlikely to be able to do anything with a 4 day old phone having the same day 1 problems as another phone obtained less than a week earlier.

One of these bluetooth audio receivers and an NFC tag to raise the audio, keep the screen on and activate bluetooth should result in a streamlined, niggle-free experience compared to this aux buggery.

Thanks again for your suggestions and input, it's much appreciated!

Have similar symptoms and choose the same solution. Waiting for arrival. It would be nice if they fixed the phone however.

I am having the same issue. This happens whether I use the 3.5mm output, or connect via bluetooth. One thing I have noticed, when the volume fades, I open up the chrome browser and the volume is restored. It doesn't make sense, but that's what I've noticed. My only music player is Google music. Haven't tried any other. I could be playing music and the navigation in the background is about twice as loud as the peak music volume. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,065 Global Posts

I gave up on the Note 3 for music long ago. iPOD beats it out in a big way.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.