Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By DrSavant
  • 1 Post By Unicorn11B
  • 1 Post By violet182
  • 1 Post By int_architect
  • 1 Post By kj11
  • 1 Post By kj11
  • 1 Post By DrSavant
  • 1 Post By JudH
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Does anyone else think being able to cut, copy and paste is an essential requirement when writing and emailing, and it doesn't work any better on a Note 3.

Could someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong?

I can move the start and end tabs to where I want them only occasionally. Mostly they won't go to the start or finish of the line I want. Can I use the S-Pen for this? Am I missing another trick?

Surely one of the big failings of Android. Is it easier on a large tablet. I don't know.

I keep boring people about my old phone before a GS2, but on the Sony-Ericsson P910i (8 between 2004 and 2011) I could type on a resistive screen keyboard with a small stylus, which was heaven.

Even better I could highlight exactly the text I wanted to cut and paste with that stylus. It was childs play. Why can't I glide the stylus or a finger from the start or end of text to highlight it, and ditch those silly tabs. Yes I do start holding text from the middle, but either end doesn't work either.

Any useful input welcome, but not from writers who never make a mistake, or who never need to re-compose a paragraph! Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by Madd54; 01-17-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

Default Re: Cutting and pasting - no better on N3

I don't have a Note3, but i would imagine you should be able to use the S-pen. In fact as far as I know you can use the S-pen for anything you would use your finger for - and then some! I'm sure a few minutes digging around on Google would find you some S-pen tips and tricks, hints, and how-to's. I do feel your pain. Cut and paste is frustrating on my Gnex (No S-pen, 4.6" screen, and a tendancy to lag whenever copying and pasting... which makes trying to move the tabs by finger a irritating adventure at the best of times!!)
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

Have you tried drag and drop with the S-pen? Not sure what you're copying and pasting but I use it frequently to send text messages to multiple people

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

A few apps and texts may or may not allow you to copy them in the same way as most do

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Its a problem, and it was the same with the Note 2 - copying and pasting is very app dependent - some apps won't let you select text at all, or would screw up the selection completely.

The S-pen does NOT help in any way. It's a great tool for other things, but in many apps its just the way the software is designed. Potentially, with a non stock rom things might be better - ask on xda, or if anyone here is running something other than stock, please share.

To the OP - unfortunately, you are SOL.

To the ambassadors - guys, you are trying to help, but if you didn't use an S-pen, how does guessing help?

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    anon8380037 likes this.

The S pen only seems to help me because it's smaller and more precise. Other than that it's annoying as hell. I can't stand the start and stop tabs, I'd much rather be able to highlight the section of text I want to copy the way you said. Or, I'd be happy if the start and stop tabs were more able to be easily positioned. Even if I zoom in it doesn't help. I've found that I have to select a word of the block of text I want to copy, then move both beginning and ending tabs where I want them.
    Thanked by:
    anon8380037 likes this.

The spen can help! Just hold the button and draw a line through the text and it will select it. Took a bit of practice getting the timing right but works great in most apps.
    Thanked by 2:
    anon8380037 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Violet! Violet!

That's how I thought it might work before I bought it. I assumed the button was hijacked by the air stuff.

I'll have to wait a couple of hours before I can try it. Back to work.

I will give a few goes as you say.
    I hope you are right.

Thanks either way. Tony.

Posted via Android Central App on Note 3

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by violet182 View Post
    The spen can help! Just hold the button and draw a line through the text and it will select it. Took a bit of practice getting the timing right but works great in most apps.
    Many thanks. Worked for me but finicky. Also can select a word without pressing the button, but then you'd have to drag the word selection blocks or whatever they are.

N3 via AC App

HTC EVO 4G (cracked screen) > HTC EVO3D (eventual insurance replacement)
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer - 16gb
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer Dock
    Thanked by:
    anon8380037 likes this.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

Never heard of this feature but I just tried it. It's called easy clip. Hold the bouton down and draw a closed shape around an object to select it. A tutorial will pop up to walk you through it.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

There definitely is something to this but I haven't quite perfected it yet.
    It certainly helps make the blue tabs more stable and easy to position with the stylus if the blue highlight comes up. Not sure if it's meant to. It's getting the button timing righr, so still a work in progress but worth getting it right. It will try to create the scrapbook cut out image which is not what we want.
    I'll get there. Time for bed here.

Just shows, us men are only as clever as our last beer!

Thanks again. Tony.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

@KJ

Don't you mean the scrapbook feature, which copies part of the screen as well?
    I will look at it tomorrow. Cheers.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    @KJ

Don't you mean the scrapbook feature, which copies part of the screen as well?
    I will look at it tomorrow. Cheers.

No its something different, you can cut things out of web pages, emails, whatever and share them with several different apps. Give it a shot

Thanked by:
    anon8380037 likes this.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

See my screen shot. You can slide the bar on the bottom to choose from pretty much any sharing/editing app to paste whatever you selected into.

It may not be a solution for the OP's copy/paste problem, but a pretty cool feature I was unaware of and may find some use for

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting and pasting - no better on N3-1389784429195.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    anon8380037 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Oh, Ok. I got a screen like that yesterday and thought it was scrapbook. Again I have to wait to spend time on it later. Thanks for the trouble. I put the OP.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Oh, Ok. I got a screen like that yesterday and thought it was scrapbook. Again I have to wait to spend time on it later. Thanks for the trouble. I put the OP.

Thought that was you, but couldn't remember while I was mid reply.... Ha. The ? On the right of that little pop up menu gives you a nice walk through

Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I can get the blue end tabs to where I want them much more obediently by using the holding the stylus on a word rather than my finger, so thats a leap forward, but I thought I was onto something else.

@kj11
    I mainly wanted to cut a sentence or a series of words and move them to a different paragraph or delete them; rather than send an image somewhere else.

TBH I am a bit stylused out and it's been a strange week for me, so I will get the hang of it when I can give it more attention.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

@ DrSavant. Reading through all again and I love the SOL (easy to figure), never heard that before but I don't get out much.

Nice to hear the best of us had problems in this area. If you found Violet's contribution and tried it out, I would appreciate feedback. There is something to it, and its easier to locate the blue tabs anyway. I'm blowed if I can get myself to spend a lot of time with it as yet.

@int-architect, does it work for you?

@Madd54 - that's what years in the military do to you The acronyms just stick
    anon8380037 likes this.

You might consider a different keyboard. Kii Keyboard for example has a dedicated cursor panel with select, select all, home, end and arrows that move the cursor one char plus cut, copy and paste keys. MUCH easier than the built-in method. Several keyboards I've tried had something similar.
    Thanked by:
    anon8380037 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

@JudH
    I had no idea.

I moved to Swift Key a few months in to my first Android GS2, which of course is even tinier now. I stuck with the note 3 keyboard for a while, but have been using SwiftKey again mostly as I missed the arrow keys. Some things irritate me, and I still make errors so I will give other keyboards a try now I know they exist.

So a lot of cursor controls, select etc. I will either love it or hate it. You find it easier.

Great idea too on a keyboard.

I always use portrait mode, but have been meaning to try landscape more with the larger screen.

Thanks very much.
    I will try Kii tomorrow. (it's midnight here)

@DrSavant
    Over here, the first phrase that sprung to mind was ' Sod out of ....', but in the military I guess it starts with 4 letters: ' **** outta luck'. Great either way!

Last edited by Madd54; 01-17-2014 at 06:23 PM.