Unlocked Galaxy Note 3 Questions

shintastic48

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I've been reading the forums here quite a bit. But, never really made an account because I didn't really have anything to ask, nor am I very good at contributing. My Galaxy S2 died the other day and am in the market for a new phone. I've been extremely keen on the Note line ever since the first Note model came out and want to make the switch to a Phablet. Ordinarily this would be easy as I would just buy the phone directly from my current service provider (NTT DoCoMo) but, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a job that forces me to travel and basically live in 3 different continents during the year. I have Cell Phone contracts in all 3 continents with NTT DoCoMo, Verizon Wireless, and Vodafone. I have most of my time in Europe and Japan equally. Then the US is generally only a month or two. It would be very nice to have one Note 3 where I can just switch the SIM card out depending on which country I am in at the time. I have done a bit of research but, it seems like there is tons of conflicting information which makes things hard to believe when you read them.

I was currently looking at the N9005 from this website here. I've read online that there have been problems with the European and American Model Unlocked Galaxy Note 3's in that they are not SIM locked but are Region Locked to only work with a European or American SIM card. Whether this is true or not, I do not know as there were reports that if you used a same as the phone region phone, it would then be ok to use SIM cards from anywhere. As stated here on Android Central. So, if what I'm reading is true, then as long as I get a Japan or Asia region Unlocked Galaxy Note 3, then I should be fine as I would setup the phone with my NTT DoCoMo SIM card.

On to the next point, I figured that if the 4G LTE frequencies match up to the frequencies that your Service provider has, you should be able to get 4G LTE wherever the frequencies match up. A lot of people have said this but, a lot of people have said that that is not true as well. A lot of people have also said that it will only get 4G LTE in the region that the phone is from; Asia, Europe, America. Which side correct?

If my theory about the 4G LTE frequencies is correct then, where could I go about getting an Asian version of the N9005 model? I am most likely going to be looking for a trustworthy place online, or if anyone knows any trustworthy stores in the Tokyo area, that would work as well.

Thanks in advance for the replies. Cheers.

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, the way article here on Android Central explains it is correct. To avoid the region lock you have to use a SIM for your local carrier FIRST (even on an unlocked device) and after that all SHOULD be well. For example, if you buy an unlocked Asian version, as long as you use an Asian carrier SIM while in Asia first before using an American SIM, everything should work.

As for LTE, again I'm no expert, I believe as long as all frequencies match up between the phone and the carrier (and the SIM you're using is LTE enabled) everything SHOULD work.

Hopefully someone smarter then myself can clear things up for you. 90% of my Android knowledge is from these forums so maybe someone with "hands on" experience can help you out more!

shintastic48

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, the way article here on Android Central explains it is correct. To avoid the region lock you have to use a SIM for your local carrier FIRST (even on an unlocked device) and after that all SHOULD be well. For example, if you buy an unlocked Asian version, as long as you use an Asian carrier SIM while in Asia first before using an American SIM, everything should work.

As for LTE, again I'm no expert, I believe as long as all frequencies match up between the phone and the carrier (and the SIM you're using is LTE enabled) everything SHOULD work.

Hopefully someone smarter then myself can clear things up for you. 90% of my Android knowledge is from these forums so maybe someone with "hands on" experience can help you out more!

Thanks for the quick reply. Your thought process is in line with mine. So, hopefully we are correct.

Anybody here with experience on the topic?

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
For the unlock phone. If remember well, here in Canada, I had to put my At&t sim card in it (which is US carrier) to unlock it.
So whenever I go to the States it works very well and I get the 4 G LTE where ever it is available.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

shintastic48

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
For the unlock phone. If remember well, here in Canada, I had to put my At&t sim card in it (which is US carrier) to unlock it.
So whenever I go to the States it works very well and I get the 4 G LTE where ever it is available.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Have you ever left the North America region? Just curious how things worked in Europe or Asia.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You mention Verizon, if so then you would need the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (900v) to work on Verizon's network. Now, the 900v is factory sim unlocked, and should work on GSM carriers worldwide, however it only supports b4 and 13,which are mostly used in the usa. So you won't get 4glte on docomo or Vodafone, but I believe both are gsm so you would get service with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Also, for now Verizon is owned by Vodafone (minority owner). My old Verizon 3g phone had a Vodafone sim in it.

Also frequency match up doesn't necessarily mean the It would work. For example, b12 consists of 700 mhz lower blocks a, b, and c. B17 consists of 700 mhz lower blocks b and c. Basically b12 fully encompasses b17.yet a device that is only b17 would not work on a b12 network. And vice versa

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

shintastic48

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
You mention Verizon, if so then you would need the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (900v) to work on Verizon's network. Now, the 900v is factory sim unlocked, and should work on GSM carriers worldwide, however it only supports b4 and 13,which are mostly used in the usa. So you won't get 4glte on docomo or Vodafone, but I believe both are gsm so you would get service with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Also, for now Verizon is owned by Vodafone (minority owner). My old Verizon 3g phone had a Vodafone sim in it.

Also frequency match up doesn't necessarily mean the It would work. For example, b12 consists of 700 mhz lower blocks a, b, and c. B17 consists of 700 mhz lower blocks b and c. Basically b12 fully encompasses b17.yet a device that is only b17 would not work on a b12 network. And vice versa

Sorry, I should have explained in my original post that I spend 10 months of my year in Europe and Japan. So, I think my 4G Priorities would definitely have to be in those two areas rather than the US.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I should have explained in my original post that I spend 10 months of my year in Europe and Japan. So, I think my 4G Priorities would definitely have to be in those two areas rather than the US.

Well, currently a non verizon phone would not work on Verizon period. So if you want to use Verizon's network then you must have a Verizon phone. Optionally, you can use us gsm carriers like att or tmobile, if they provide the services that you need. But you won't get 4glte on us carriers with an international note 3.

shintastic48

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, currently a non verizon phone would not work on Verizon period. So if you want to use Verizon's network then you must have a Verizon phone. Optionally, you can use us gsm carriers like att or tmobile, if they provide the services that you need. But you won't get 4glte on us carriers with an international note 3.

Right, so does the 3G work then? Or will that not work either.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get 4G LTE in Japan and Europe with the International Galaxy Note 3 model?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right, so does the 3G work then? Or will that not work either.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get 4G LTE in Japan and Europe with the International Galaxy Note 3 model?

On Verizon, you would not get any service with the International note 3. On att or tmobile you would get service but no lte. Not sure about 3g.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Best comments on Amazon UK (before I found AC) for someone buying in the UK and wanting to go to Asia for example, and bereft of precise information from Samsung apart from vague official statements,
- - -
is more people were successful on their later travels with using a European / UK sim in their European Region Note 3 FOR A FEW DAYS TO A WEEK, to include a low minimum of regular calls (a few minutes daily) and data.

This should apply the other way around.

Phones from Hong Kong are readily on sale online here which are N9000 models not officially supported here, and I don't know how people are faring with these.

Posted via Android Central App on Note 3

Last edited: