About battery drainage.

Amir

Nov 17, 2013
plus.google.com
Guys I have not put any sim in my note 3. When I use phone without turning on airplane mode battery goes like crazy. But when I turn it on it does not drain that much. What is the cause? Is it that I am not using any sim? Or some other issue??

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Could be location services or the phone searching for a radio connection. If you don't need location reporting on, turn off location services in settings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Amir

Nov 17, 2013
plus.google.com
Here are GSM stats.

a2e4u7uj.jpg

9uju5ava.jpg

Check 72% to 65% huge drain then I turn on airplane mode then return to normal.

9upa4asa.jpg

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Amir

Nov 17, 2013
plus.google.com
Thanks but I use fb all time but did not saw that much drain. Drain started at 72%, upto 65% then I turned on airplane mode then it returns to normal

Amir

Nov 17, 2013
plus.google.com
I used with airplane mode all time battery functions normally. But without it after 75% battery drains like crazy. 😟

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks but I use fb all time but did not saw that much drain. Drain started at 72%, upto 65% then I turned on airplane mode then it returns to normal

It's likely Facebook. You need to go into the app settings and change the refresh interval to manual instead of push. And turn off location services for the app

Posted via Android Central App

Amir

Nov 17, 2013
plus.google.com
It's likely Facebook. You need to go into the app settings and change the refresh interval to manual instead of push. And turn off location services for the app

Thanks i will try that out.. but why turning on airplane mode consume less battery? I use fb same way but battery drain faster if airplane mode turned off. Is it because I am not using any sim or other reason?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks i will try that out.. but why turning on airplane mode consume less battery? I use fb same way but battery drain faster if airplane mode turned off. Is it because I am not using any sim or other reason?

Without airplane mode the phone is using the radio to try and get those notifications. Airplane mode = no radio...no radio = no drain

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Using N3 for the last 20 days, I've been extremely pleased with its battery, nowhere close to my previous phone, HTC Rezound. But, after seeing 96% this morning, I was thrown off seeing only 15% six hours later, and the phone was unusually warm. I've never seen a number less that 40. All I know was that avast antivirus was running a scan at the time.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The phone was warm because a) the CPU/GPU was being used intensively, b) the screen was on for an extended period, c) phone searching for signal, d) an app stuck using background data or e) a combination of those things.

Amir

Nov 17, 2013
plus.google.com
If there is no sim and you are not on airplane mode. The phone still search for signal and drains more battery or it does not?

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If there is no sim and you are not on airplane mode. The phone still search for signal and drains more battery or it does not?

This is the reason that I put my phone in airplane mode while on an airplane. I am not afraid that the airplane will crash. Rather my phone will be dead from continuously searching for a network. I have landed with many dead batteries for failing to do so.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The phone was warm because a) the CPU/GPU was being used intensively, b) the screen was on for an extended period, c) phone searching for signal, d) an app stuck using background data or e) a combination of those things.

All of it is true theoretically, but none applied to my case. The six hours that drained the battery 70% were no different in phone use than any other six hour period prior.

Amir

Nov 17, 2013
plus.google.com
This is the reason that I put my phone in airplane mode while on an airplane. I am not afraid that the airplane will crash. Rather my phone will be dead from continuously searching for a network. I have landed with many dead batteries for failing to do so.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

But on MJ6 there was no problem with phone radio. I did not have any sim that time i could get descent battery life without turning on airplane mode. But on MJ7 a lot of battery being sucked up by phone radio. Phone standby for me sucks on MJ7