Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Note 3 - Weird message with battery charger

I'm receiving a message each time I plug in my charger which says "Battery charges more quickly if you use original charger" and when powered down reads "The connected charger will take longer to charge. To charge faster, use the original charger and power cord." Further, even after charging an entire night, I only get a 75% charge.

I'm obviously charging using the charger Samsung provided and have also tried different AC switches, but no love.

Any thoughts?
    Thanked by:
    bebo69 

Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Weird message with battery charger

Sounds like it thinks it's using USB 2.0 or the voltage is wrong. Wondering if they put the wrong charger in your box.

Have you had this issue since the first day?

Posted via Android Central App
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,426 Global Posts

The stock charger IS USB 2.0; no such thing as a USB 3.0 AC charger. USB 3.0 cable is supplied, but has no effect on AC charger. The only benefit to USB 3.0 is when you connect to a 3.0 USB computer port. It has higher transfer speeds than 2.0 and does support up to 950 ma charging; that's where you would see the difference. The AC charger charges at 2100 ma IIRC, same as most other high speed chargers.

@ the OP, likely a bad cable or a bad charger. Have you rebooted the phone via a battery-pull yet? BlackBerry Z10's had this issue forever and it was eventually resolved through software updates, but this isn't the case here.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    boudicca00 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    The stock charger IS USB 2.0; no such thing as a USB 3.0 AC charger. USB 3.0 cable is supplied, but has no effect on AC charger. The only benefit to USB 3.0 is when you connect to a 3.0 USB computer port. It has higher transfer speeds than 2.0 and does support up to 950 ma charging; that's where you would see the difference. The AC charger charges at 2100 ma IIRC, same as most other high speed chargers.

@ the OP, likely a bad cable or a bad charger. Have you rebooted the phone via a battery-pull yet? BlackBerry Z10's had this issue forever and it was eventually resolved through software updates, but this isn't the case here.
    Tried a battery pull but to no avail. Other ideas?
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,426 Global Posts

Ya, a few actually. 1st thing I'd try is another USB cable on the stock charger, and if that fails, another charger. I don't believe that the issue is with the phone, but rather the cable or more likely, the charger. Do you have a car charger and if so, does it do it there too? I have tons of USB chargers here - and when I've had issue like this with other devices, I've always gone for another charger 1st. That's usually the cause.

Why bother with 3.0 cable? Is it worth the extra expense to fool people into thinking that it charges quicker? I can charge this battery as quickly (if not quicker) than I could my Razr, which had a considerably smaller battery.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but...

Plus, when I use a 2.0 charger, it charges much slower.

I think I might test this. I'm at 65% right now. I'm going to charge using the included charger and time it. When it hits 100%, I'll post the time.
    Then, I'll discharge to 65% and try it with a 2.0. Might be tomorrow before I can post the results.

I don't know who will be right. I'm keeping an open mind.

Time starts...NOW.

9:53.

OK 11:23. Time to let it discharge down to 65%. Probably be in the morning before I can carry on.

An hour and thirty minutes, right?

I have a retractable USB cord that causes my phone to display this same error message and the phone takes about 6 hours to charge. When I switch to a better USB cord the message disappears and the phone charges normally.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Must be a bad cable for me...after an entire night of chagrin, most I can get is 70%. Heading to verizon this AM to see about getting w new cable and seeing if that fixes the problem. Strange thing is that I did not have this issue when I first bought the phone a couple weeks ago.

So, I've got 79% so it's going to be a little while before I get down to the same level. When I do, I'll get back to the forum.
    msndrstood likes this.

OK, starting at 65 now. 9:04.

It's 10:37 and I'm still only at 92%, so clearly the stock 3.0 charger is faster and therefore takes advantage of 3.0 in some fashion. BTW, the 2.0 charger that I'm using is a stock Samsung model that I've had for awhile. I bought it from eBay for my Razr because it just happened to have a good price at the time. It's now 10:40 and it's at 93%. I mention that only because I have to run some errands and have to disconnect so I can't follow the test to its ultimate conclusion. But it's pretty clear that it would take 2 hours or more to accomplish what the 3.0 charger would accomplish in 1 1/2 hours.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by swisstrader View Post
    Must be a bad cable for me...after an entire night of chagrin, most I can get is 70%. Heading to verizon this AM to see about getting w new cable and seeing if that fixes the problem. Strange thing is that I did not have this issue when I first bought the phone a couple weeks ago.
    PROBLEM SOLVED! Bad cable Went to Verizon and initially they said it's the hardware, "gotta return the phone." I suggested trying a new charger and problem went away. It's a Verizon charger but got it at no cost. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by swisstrader View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED! Bad cable Went to Verizon and initially they said it's the hardware, "gotta return the phone." I suggested trying a new charger and problem went away. It's a Verizon charger but got it at no cost. Thanks for all the input.
    I have had multiple us cables and chargers go bad over time. Luckily I collect new ones every time I buy a new device so when one starts to have issues, in the garbage it goes and a new one comes out of the drawer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Same issue here. Original charger and cord. Verizon Note 3. Still charges but i get the same message every night. will try exchanging the cord?

I received the same message. I took the 3 week new phone back to Verizon they gladly replaced it with no answer as to why or what this could be. I have had this new replacement for a week and am getting the message again. I asked Verizon if this was a common problem let said no... I'm using all original equipment, no damage to phone and yet no explanation. I'm almost ready to go back to the dark side with apple.

I had the same issue. Verizon had me wipe the phone (saying it may have been an app I downloaded), replaced the power brick and replaced the USB cable. It was finally fixed on my 4th trip back to them when they supplied a Verizon branded charger to replace the Samsung one. The manager looked it up and told me there is an issue with the stock Samsung charger that Samsung has been made aware of but has yet to address. The phone side USB connection on the Verizon cord does not split like the proprietary Samsung. It fits snug into just one side of the port. My guess is that the Samsung connector does not seat properly and provide consistent power like the Verizon one. There is a noticeable difference in the way the Verizon plug fits tightly into the charge port as opposed to the Samsung which could easily be moved or jarred loose with even the slightest touch. I have had no issues since the swap and the phone charges a lot quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by kb9451 View Post
    I had the same issue. Verizon had me wipe the phone (saying it may have been an app I downloaded), replaced the power brick and replaced the USB cable. It was finally fixed on my 4th trip back to them when they supplied a Verizon branded charger to replace the Samsung one. The manager looked it up and told me there is an issue with the stock Samsung charger that Samsung has been made aware of but has yet to address. The phone side USB connection on the Verizon cord does not split like the proprietary Samsung. It fits snug into just one side of the port. My guess is that the Samsung connector does not seat properly and provide consistent power like the Verizon one. There is a noticeable difference in the way the Verizon plug fits tightly into the charge port as opposed to the Samsung which could easily be moved or jarred loose with even the slightest touch. I have had no issues since the swap and the phone charges a lot quicker.
    Ya.. I just got a new Note 3 at the beginning of March.. 13 days later it told me the same message about using the same charger that came with the phone. . Then it wouldn't charge over 1% the next day.. so of course Verizon gave me Another new phone. .. now I have only had this one for a Little over a week.. and it is now reading the same message

Same issue here. I stopped by the Samsung area in Best Buy and discussed the issue with the Samsung Experts. One of them opened a door on the display and handed me a brand new charger and cable and said Merry Christmas. It's been working fine for the past few days.

Quote Originally Posted by aqwesd View Post
    Same issue here. I stopped by the Samsung area in Best Buy and discussed the issue with the Samsung Experts. One of them opened a door on the display and handed me a brand new charger and cable and said Merry Christmas. It's been working fine for the past few days.
    Found the fix on another forum; can't find it again or I'd gladly give credit to original answers. Take off the back plate to the phone and using Phillips 00 (can be purchased at radioshack as a kit) tighten all screws a quarter of a turn. Finished about ten minutes ago... problem solved.
    boudicca00 likes this.
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,426 Global Posts

Are you serious? That works? Who'd a thunk it!! LOL
    This should be posted as a sticky...too many people having the issue here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast