Here's how to spot a fake Note 3! (For those looking at online marketplaces or unofficial retailers)

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
On December 30th of 2012, I purchased a "Samsung Galaxy Note 3" from eBay.

What I perceived to be a real phone, in my ignorance, was actually not. The details of how I came to understand this are chronicled HERE.

So how can you avoid being in this situation from the get-go? Here are some tell tale signs:
Please note that while some of these are "obvious" to an experienced or just a casual online shopper, some people aren't as savvy so read through this objectively.
1) Automatically disregard any listings with the word "clone" in them. They're being upfront with you. You WILL receive a visually convincing look-alike and will NOT be able to return it by claiming it's a counterfeit.
tVgXAKS.png

2) "Smart Care" stickers. As far as I'm aware, none of the original boxes are supposed to have this sticker. The knockoff I have has it, as well as knockoffs I've come across in my research. If someone has an original Note 3 that came in a box with one of these stickers, you may correct me. I'm not 100% sure on this bit. UPDATE(04/09/14): I've been informed that there are genuine boxes with smart care stickers, but I'd be wary of one with the sticker. Make sure everything else checks out.

z5t4U0M.png

3) Missing accessories. Not every eBay vendor has a picture with the box opened, but if there is, look for the bag with the S-Pen nib replacements. If you can't see it, there's a chance the phone is counterfeit. As seen in the above picture, the bag isn't there. If you're curious to how one looks like, here's a picture of mine:

GyiRmVLl.jpg

4) Look at the details in the description. Google the model you're looking at on eBay and see how the specs listed stack up to the verified information. Main things to look out for are storage capacity, RAM and display resolution. Storage should be 32GB or 64GB. Resolution should NOT go below 1920x1080. Ram is a little more flexible throughout all the models so make sure you have the correct one. The reason I'm stating this is because if the seller is unaware that they're selling a counterfeit(and aren't tech-savvy), they'll list all the original information. If the seller is intentionally trying to sell you a counterfeit, they'll state the lower specs and you will not be able to claim you were unaware that the phone was not an original.

Other things to consider while you're looking at the details: Some Note 3's only support 3G as opposed 4G/LTE. This is because not every country has 4G/LTE technology and the international versions sent to these areas don't support 4G/LTE to cut production costs. The phone itself will not suffer and performance will be near identical to other models.

5) Double check "Unlocked Phones". You should double check everything anyway, but I've found throughout my scavenging that the fakes I've spotted all claim to be Unlocked. It's not to say that there aren't legit Note 3's that are unlocked, but there's a higher chance of the handset being a fake if it's "unlocked".

6) Ask the vendor for verification. If you're still unsure after taking all of those steps and still want to buy the phone, there's something you can do to make sure you'll be covered by eBay's buyer protection. Send a message to the vendor(search for the link that says ask a question) asking the vendor to verify that the phone is an original Samsung Galaxy Note 3. WAIT FOR THE REPLY BEFORE BUYING THE PHONE. If the vendor says yes or that you can buy with confidence, go ahead and purchase the phone. This message will be kept on eBay's servers and can be used later as evidence in case the phone is a counterfeit.

What if you already have the phone? Or what if you've made sure to verify that the listing looked real enough but are still unsure if the phone is fake?

If you already own a Note 3 or know someone with one, you'll be able to IMMEDIATELY notice the difference.

For those of you who don't have access to an original Note 3 or don't know anyone who owns one, here are some things to look out for:

Pull out the S-Pen. Some things you'll notice immediately on a fake:
  • The "button" is unpressable.
  • The tip/nib is thicker than the original. And in my case, the fake one had a black tip even though the phone was the white version. Can you guess which the fake one is?
    MEZdzbb.jpg

Some things you'll notice about the phone itself and its other accessories:
  • The battery cover/back plate feels more "plastic-y". Although the original isn't much better, the texture is definitely there. There's also a good chance that the letters will peel off.
  • The battery on a knock-off will be made in China as opposed to an original's which is made in Korea. (If someone has a real Note 3 that came with a battery made in China, you may correct me) Note: User dpham00 said he received a Note 3 with a battery made in China.
  • As noted by androidcentral user msndrstood the voltage adapter of a knockoff is missing the Underwriters Laboratory seal, which looks like a "UL". Picture below.
    c3zO0Rb.png

There are other hardware differences that I haven't noted above.

Software differences + other things you'll notice once you've turned the phone on:

• When the phone begins booting, the make and model of the phone SHOULD appear. If it doesn't, this is a clear indication that either the OS has been tampered with or the device is fake. However, if it does appear, this does not validate the phone's genuineness.
  • If you bought a new phone, or it's been factory resetted, the first time you turn it on you SHOULD be greeted by a "set-up".
  • If you notice any colors bleeding on the screen, the device is defective or, more likely, fake.
  • Take out the S-Pen again. Bring the tip close to the screen. A small circle should appear over the place you're hovering. If it doesn't, your s-pen/device is defective or, more likely, fake.
  • You'll find that the phony's S-Pen is a glorified stick. Writing with it should be difficult overall on a fake as the touchscreen won't recognize most strokes.
  • The "Menu" button and "Back" button should also be selectable with the S Pen. I noticed that on the fake, no matter how hard or how much I tapped both buttons, neither would react.
  • Search for your phone's settings. Either by placing your finger at the top of the screen and dragging down+selecting the gear icon, or by pressing the "menu" button from the main screen and selecting settings and then press the "controls" tab. The available options should be these(+more not visible in the screenshot provided by msndrstood):
    Xx9uNmq.jpg

On a fake, the options will be very limited, as demonstrated below(also note that there are no "S Pen settings, due to the fact that the "S Pen" is pretty much useless on a fake).:

vBL0MB8.png

• Run a hardware test. Download an app that will tell you the phone's specs(like this one: Spec Device) and run it. If it's real, the results should look like this(screenshot provided by msndrstood):
    7n6yEWy.jpg

Note the Display, RAM and Flash.

Now look at the results from the same app run on my counterfeit:
    rVCQe3L.png

Compare the results with msndrstood's, most noticeably the display, RAM and flash.

What do I do after I've determined that my device is counterfeit?

Note that this only applies to users who purchased their device from eBay.
What you'll want to do is, first of all, contact the seller. Often times you'll find that the seller is willing to refund you without much of a hassle. If the seller will not budge on the issue, you bring the case to eBay.

Instructions are for the desktop website. You'll want to go to your summary page(should be in a drop down list from the "My eBay" link in the top toolbar). Find the item you wish to return and look for the "more actions" drop down tool on the right side. Select "Return this item". From here on out, follow website instructions. For the reason you're returning the item, make sure you select that it's a counterfeit.

You'll be contacted by eBay telling you that a case has been opened. The seller will be notified of this and you'll have about a week to hear from them. If they don't respond or you don't receive a satisfactory reply from them by the date eBay tells you, you'll be able to elevate the case to eBay. This is where the buyer's protection comes in.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with anything further as my vendor was very understanding. S/he was not aware that the phone was a counterfeit(I was fooled for a couple of days a well) so she complied with a full refund. You may or may not encounter a similar situation. Whatever the case, I hope everything goes well!

And that's it for my experience.

Last edited:

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
re: Here's how to spot a fake Note 3! (For those looking at online marketplaces or unofficial retailers)

On December 30th of 2012, I purchased a "Samsung Galaxy Note 3" from eBay.

What I perceived to be a real phone, in my ignorance, was actually not. The details of how I came to understand this are chronicled HERE.

So how can you avoid being in this situation from the get-go? Here are some tell tale signs:

1) Automatically disregard any listings with the word "clone" in them. They're being upfront with you. You WILL receive a visually convincing look-alike and will NOT be able to return it by claiming it's a counterfeit.
http://i.imgur.com/tVgXAKS.png

2) "Smart Care" stickers. As far as I'm aware, none of the original boxes are supposed to have this sticker. The knockoff I have has it, as well as knockoffs I've come across in my research. If someone has an original Note 3 that came in a box with one of these stickers, you may correct me. I'm not 100% sure on this bit.

http://i.imgur.com/z5t4U0M.png

3) Missing accessories. Not every eBay vendor has a picture with the box opened, but if there is, look for the bag with the S-Pen nib replacements. If you can't see it, there's a chance the phone is counterfeit. As seen in the above picture, the bag isn't there. If you're curious to how one looks like, here's a picture of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/GyiRmVLl.jpg

4) Look at the details in the description. Google the model you're looking at on eBay and see how the specs listed stack up to the verified information. Main things to look out for are storage capacity, RAM and display resolution. Storage should be 32GB or 64GB. Resolution should NOT go below 1920x1080. Ram is a little more flexible throughout all the models so make sure you have the correct one. The reason I'm stating this is because if the seller is unaware that they're selling a counterfeit(and aren't tech-savvy), they'll list all the original information. If the seller is intentionally trying to sell you a counterfeit, they'll state the lower specs and you will not be able to claim you were unaware that the phone was not an original.

5) Double check "Unlocked Phones". You should double check everything anyway, but I've found throughout my scavenging that the fakes I've spotted all claim to be Unlocked. It's not to say that there aren't legit Note 3's that are unlocked, but there's a higher chance of the handset being a fake if it's "unlocked".

6) Ask the vendor for verification. If you're still unsure after taking all of those steps and still want to buy the phone, there's something you can do to make sure you'll be covered by eBay's buyer protection. Send a message to the vendor(search for the link that says ask a question) asking the vendor to verify that the phone is an original Samsung Galaxy Note 3. WAIT FOR THE REPLY BEFORE BUYING THE PHONE. If the vendor says yes or that you can buy with confidence, go ahead and purchase the phone. This message will be kept on eBay's servers and can be used later as evidence in case the phone is a counterfeit.

What if you already have the phone? Or what if you've made sure to verify that the listing looked real enough but are still unsure if the phone is fake?

If you already own a Note 3 or know someone with one, you'll be able to IMMEDIATELY notice the difference.

For those of you who don't have access to an original Note 3 or don't know anyone who owns one, here are some things to look out for:

Pull out the S-Pen. Some things you'll notice immediately on a fake:
  • The "button" is unpressable.
  • The tip/nib is thicker than the original. And in my case, the fake one had a black tip even though the phone was the white version. Can you guess which the fake one is?
    http://i.imgur.com/MEZdzbb.jpg

Some things you'll notice about the phone itself and its other accessories:
  • The battery cover/back plate feels more "plastic-y". Although the original isn't much better, the texture is definitely there. There's also a good chance that the letters will peel off.
  • The battery on a knock-off will be made in China as opposed to an original's which is made in Korea. (If someone has a real Note 3 that came with a battery made in China, you may correct me)
  • As noted by androidcentral user msndrstood the voltage adapter of a knockoff is missing the Underwriters Laboratory seal, which looks like a "UL". Picture below.
    http://i.imgur.com/c3zO0Rb.png

There are other hardware differences that I haven't noted above.

Software differences + other things you'll notice once you've turned the phone on:

• When the phone begins booting, the make and model of the phone SHOULD appear. If it doesn't, this is a clear indication that either the OS has been tampered with or the device is fake. However, if it does appear, this does not validate the phone's genuineness.
  • If you bought a new phone, or it's been factory resetted, the first time you turn it on you SHOULD be greeted by a "set-up".
  • If you notice any colors bleeding on the screen, the device is defective or, more likely, fake.
  • Take out the S-Pen again. Bring the tip close to the screen. A small circle should appear over the place you're hovering. If it doesn't, your s-pen/device is defective or, more likely, fake.
  • You'll find that the phony's S-Pen is a glorified stick. Writing with it should be difficult overall on a fake as the touchscreen won't recognize most strokes.
  • The "Menu" button and "Back" button should also be selectable with the S Pen. I noticed that on the fake, no matter how hard or how much I tapped both buttons, neither would react.
  • Search for your phone's settings. Either by placing your finger at the top of the screen and dragging down+selecting the gear icon, or by pressing the "menu" button from the main screen and selecting settings and then press the "controls" tab. The available options should be these(+more not visible in the screenshot provided by msndrstood):
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/thumbnail/gyvyta4y.jpg

On a fake, the options will be very limited, as demonstrated below(also not that there are no "S Pen settings, due to the fact that the "S Pen" is pretty much useless on a fake).:

http://i.imgur.com/vBL0MB8.png
  • Run a hardware test. Download an app that will tell you the phone's specs(like this one: Spec Device) and run it. If it's real, the results should look like this(screenshot provided by msndrstood):
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/thumbnail/gytuveve.jpg
    Note the Display, RAM and Flash.

Now look at the results from the same app run on my counterfeit:
    http://i.imgur.com/rVCQe3L.png

Compare the results with msndrstood's, most noticeably the display, RAM and flash.

What do I do after I've determined that my device is counterfeit?

Note that this only applies to users who purchased their device from eBay.
What you'll want to do is, first of all, contact the seller. Often times you'll find that the seller is willing to refund you without much of a hassle. If the seller will not budge on the issue, you bring the case to eBay.

Instructions are for the desktop website. You'll want to go to your summary page(should be in a drop down list from the "My eBay" link in the top toolbar). Find the item you wish to return and look for the "more actions" drop down tool on the right side. Select "Return this item". From here on out, follow website instructions. For the reason you're returning the item, make sure you select that it's a counterfeit.

You'll be contacted by eBay telling you that a case has been opened. The seller will be notified of this and you'll have about a week to hear from them. If they don't respond or you don't receive a satisfactory reply from them by the date eBay tells you, you'll be able to elevate the case to eBay. This is where the buyer's protection comes in.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with anything further as my vendor was very understanding. S/he was not aware that the phone was a counterfeit(I was fooled for a couple of days a well) so she complied with a full refund. You may or may not encounter a similar situation. Whatever the case, I hope everything goes well!

And that's it for my experience.

Very good

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
re: Here's how to spot a fake Note 3! (For those looking at online marketplaces or unofficial retailers)

Excellent detailed write up! Thank you for sharing -

Question - how can I tell if my wife is counterfeit?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Look at the model number and android version. Fakes usually have an older OS or different model #

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Very nice write-up OP. Thanks! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Outstanding! Hopefully helps someone in the future.

snc0921

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

1. Complaints are minimal if any.
2. The sweet spot (mid way down from the head -to the feet-... you know where I mean) is longitudinal axis of the body... And you don't even care

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I explain all the differences I found halfway through my post. If you want a quick verification, check the S Pen. I believe all the counterfeits' buttons are only carved on so you will not be able to hear it "click" when you press it.

If you're not satisfied by that, read the rest of the differences on the first post.

EDIT: I just got the joke. Lol

Last edited:

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I think this should be a sticky

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Great job! I agree this should be a sticky. If anyone else has had this happen with other phones, I would encourage them to post a similar comparison for reference.

I'm glad it all worked out for you, you were lucky to get an honest seller. Imagine if this would have happened on Craigslist?! Horror!

I was glad to help in any way that I could. You went about the discovery in a very logical and ordered way, I can appreciate that diligence!

Good luck with your new Note 3, I'll be seeing you around the forums! :)

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE: Displays better on a PC now I've seen it, so even more impressive.
----------------------

Great reference for new buyers.

There must be more of these doing the rounds.

I didn't catch if the original lady seller said how she got it. Online presumably.

There are N9000 models (not fakes, but 3g) on sale here which are not backed by Samsung UK and not correctly Region Locked; and you can tell some listers try to hide the specs more than others. They must be selling in numbers and many complaints raised. Thanks eBay.

When is the sequel coming out?
Seriously it needed to be long and you covered everything succinctly.

Kudos!
-------------------------

@ FBA Like he said for the Note 3, try to check the seller out thoroughly.
I was once recommended to bring a mechanic along but I think that was for something else.
I'm sure she's a lovely lady. LOL.

Posted via Android Central App on Note 3

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My note 3 battery is made in China. The cell is made in Korea though.

You can also check the imei, there are various checkers online.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Is it correct in assuming that these fakes only affect GSM carriers (T-Mobile AT&T)and their CDMA counterparts (Verizon Sprint) essentially immune because of the whole ability to verify the ESN??

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

UPDATE: Displays better on a PC now I've seen it, so even more impressive.
----------------------

Great reference for new buyers.

There must be more of these doing the rounds.

I didn't catch if the original lady seller said how she got it. Online presumably.

There are N9000 models (not fakes, but 3g) on sale here which are not backed by Samsung UK and not correctly Region Locked; and you can tell some listers try to hide the specs more than others. They must be selling in numbers and many complaints raised. Thanks eBay.

When is the sequel coming out?
Seriously it needed to be long and you covered everything succinctly.

Kudos!
-------------------------

@ FBA Like he said for the Note 3, try to check the seller out thoroughly.
I was once recommended to bring a mechanic along but I think that was for something else.
I'm sure she's a lovely lady. LOL.

Posted via Android Central App on Note 3

The seller said it was a gift. The person who actually bought it got it from someone at a store(store was unnamed) but apparently the guy doesn't work there anymore.

As for the 3G only capable devices, those are most likely the international versions(some of them) which were destined for areas with no 4G/LTE coverage. Presumably they're missing this feature to cut costs.

My note 3 battery is made in China. The cell is made in Korea though.

You can also check the imei, there are various checkers online.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the input. I'll add in a note to the first post.

The IMEI is actually not the best way to verify if the phone is real or not. My fake had a (presumably) valid IMEI. I went to activate it at Metro PCS but I was told it was already under a contract in Florida, which was incredibly strange because the phone came from North Carolina and it had never been activated before. The seller and I thought it may have been an issue with Metro PCS so I decided I would wait until the 28th(which is when the other contract was supposed to end) to activate the phone. Obviously I figured out it was a counterfeit before I could test it so I'm not sure what would have happened if I had brought it in on the 28th.

I'm assuming the IMEI belonged to a real Note 3(or possibly another fake) already under contract.

Is it correct in assuming that these fakes only affect GSM carriers (T-Mobile AT&T)and their CDMA counterparts (Verizon Sprint) essentially immune because of the whole ability to verify the ESN??

I'm not too certain on how to answer this because it never occurred to me to go to another carrier, but it's possible.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

It looks like someone is at it again...

8abu7u8e.jpg

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
So it said "CLONE" in the title and you were not aware it was a fake?? Or simply did not read the title.

No, in my case, the seller was not aware the phone was a clone so it was listed as an original Note 3. I briefly touch on this subject in the first post, but don't go into too much detail. Honestly, not ever eBay seller is out there to get you and they're just making honest mistakes, but there's no real way of telling. I gave mine the benefit of a doubt.

Thanks. :D

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
No, in my case, the seller was not aware the phone was a clone so it was listed as an original Note 3. I briefly touch on this subject in the first post, but don't go into too much detail. Honestly, not ever eBay seller is out there to get you and they're just making honest mistakes, but there's no real way of telling. I gave mine the benefit of a doubt.

Thanks. :D

I think most know they're selling counterfeits...they just always have a canned answer that seems half plausible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37