Note 3 just got toast

jechtosi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am kind of terribly depressed right now, i bought a Samsung Note 3 (N9005) december last year and just about 20 hours ago I woke up and it is not working anymore..it had this burned smell and a smear of something that got burned on the backcase (in the area in fron of the ext sd card, and it kindof even has the shape of the sd card slot) and i really dont know what caused it.
I just left it on standby as i normally do before i slept, it had about 70% battery level so i am pretty sure i did not charge.it, and morning came the thing is not working anymore. It has a warranty but i really would like to know what might have happened to avoid it in the future(should it have burned with a live fire i would have woken up with my whole house toast along with me) it really worries me.
Here are some details before i slept (if it helps)
it has a power bank cover (turned off that time,i am very sure) and has a full battery (used only once a week)
It has a 16gb ext sd (sandisk class 10 that had this "compatible with android phones" thing)
it has a lot of apps (but not much as it cannot handle)
Few widgets
Am using a buzz launcher in 7 pages home screen
power saving mode on
Backlight display below 1/4
Wifi was off
Mobile data was off
gps off
Background app that is always.on are just th defaults and the applock thing
Cleaned the memory before put on standby

I hope somebody can help me, am afraid of using it again..:'(

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Too many apps...had you had one more on, the house would have almost certainly burned to a crisp. Feel fortunate that you got out alive. You may also want to contact that show "How I Survived", cuz this would make a heck of a story.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to say what the issue could have been to cause that. Could have been a power surge to the device, it's defective device (though I don't recall this type of issue happening to anyone else) or something else. I would see if Samsung will give a warranty repair, and if possible, express your concerns and see what they can do for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
If you call Samsung, they will replace your phone immediately. They do not want to hear that their phones are melting or catching on fire - that's very dangerous.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
should it have burned with a live fire i would have woken up with my whole house toast along with me

If you and your whole house were toast I'm guessing you're probably not waking up, so at least you won't have to worry about that.

Definitely call Samsung and have them replace it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I almost thought this was a thread going to complain how new phones are coming out by the title.

Any who, one word;
Warranty :)
Be glad for one.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
SD card can get very hot very fast. I usually only keep pictures, musics and videos on it, no applications.

I can't really pin down what happened, but i would remove powerpack so it doesn't trap heat. I would also change SD card just in case.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Someone claimed an s4 fire did burn his house down

How bad is the phone? Is it toast like this s3?

Btw, in that case Samsung blamed the third party battery.

uploadfromtaptalk1390566709448.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

jechtosi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Gladly it is not as bad as this one and the battery is not damaged but alli can see are smears ofcburn marks specially on the sd card area.is there any cases where sd cards might have been a cause?

jechtosi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
But what i really want to know is what factors might have affected it to overheat in such extent as to it getting toast inside.
might it be the ext sd? The power suit even if its on standby? The apps? The battery? That's what i would like to know from you guys who are a lot better than me when it comes to this things..i am afraid of using it again after repair or replacement since it might happen or it might get worse so i would really really appreciate some answers about those factors from you good sirs.

Thank you so much in advance :)

jechtosi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
If you and your whole house were toast I'm guessing you're probably not waking up, so at least you won't have to worry about that.

Hhahah yeah my bad about the toast thing ^_^

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for your loss. Likely a short/surge somewhere. Extremely rare, but I guess always a possibility. Sammy will surely replace it immediately.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Take it back to Samsung.

They'll surely replace it with a new device.

No one, especially Samsung, wants to hear horror stories of their devices becoming a ticking bomb.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Gladly it is not as bad as this one and the battery is not damaged but alli can see are smears ofcburn marks specially on the sd card area.is there any cases where sd cards might have been a cause?
Only if they short. Which can happen if you use off-brand cards.

SanDisk/Tppshiba (a joint venture) and Samsung are the only manufacturers of the chips in the cards. Everyone else, even the "big name" brands, gets what they can get, and sometimes gets stung with counterfeits and defective chips.

Buy SanDisk if you want to avoid problems. (Samsung is also good, but usually overpriced.)

I won't say that you're risking a lot bu using an SD card in a phone. I have a Lexar SD card on my desk that I got the day they released such large cards - 256MB. It's been in use (in a little computer) for years, 24/7/365. It's rare that a card burns - it's much more common that batteries do, and that's rare. So what do you do to avoid the problem in the future? Buy SanDisk and hope you aren't the most unlucky person in the world, because that's what it would take.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm noticing that people who are reporting these fires are USING THIRD PARTY EXTENDED BATTERIES OR BATTERY PACKS like you are.

Maybe there's something about these aftermarket batteries and not the phones which are unsafe???

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing that people who are reporting these fires are USING THIRD PARTY EXTENDED BATTERIES OR BATTERY PACKS like you are.

Maybe there's something about these aftermarket batteries and not the phones which are unsafe???

Posted via Android Central App

Low quality batteries are unsafe. Now the question is what is low quality and what isn't. Obviously original batteries are good quality. once you go to third party, this is harder to determine. Some third party batteries maybe popular or even expensive but that doesn't necessarily indicate a quality build.

Even if you were to get a quality third party battery, of there happens to be a fire, even if it wasn't caused by the third party battery directly, the manufacturer may tilt the guilt to the third party battery.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Oh, no. You can wake up dead. I've had a couple of personal experiences and have seen it happen.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22