Note 3: Wireless charging compatable case, without signficantly adding width

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I tried the cases thread, but for some reason a search of the thread, though it will show hits for "charging", most of the hits don't actually have the word in it. Broken in some way?

Anyway, I have several things I am concerned in a case,
#1, It needs to be compatible with a wireless charging solution (Loosing an $800 phone to a bad charging socket is not good)
#2, I don't have the biggest hands, so I have to be careful about adding too much to the middle of the phone.
#3, The corners need some fall protection.

About #1, Most of the messages about covers don't mention wireless charging, like the Qi compatible charging solutions. The official Qi back from Samsung, seems to add enough thickness that it would seem to rule out most cases. But, there seem to be 3rd party Qi receivers that fit under the existing cover. However, I wonder if the extra thickness of a case will be an issue with wireless charging.

In regards to #2 & 3, I know that most impacts with the floor will first be on a corner. So, that is where the padding needs to be. The S-View covers seem to omit covering the corners entirely. So they would be useless in a fall. Even a little leather covering the corner would reduce the severity of the impact. Ideally, the corner would have a silicon-type of rubber covering, and the thickness would be OK there. The extra thickness would be of little benefit to the middle edges of the phone, and perhaps make holding it a problem for me.

Is there a case that meets all of my needs?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Wireless charging compatable case, without signficantly adding width

I have the charging pad used with an otterbox commuter case and the Nokia dt-900 wireless charger. It probably charges around half the speed of the stock charger but other than that, it works ok. The charging pad does cause the otterbox commuter case to bulge and not fit as well, but it is minimal, imo

I am sure that there are thinner cases that would work too, just depends on how much protection you want.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the info about the Otterbox. If the Otterbox, works with that wireless charger, then it would seem that non-metalic cases are not an issue, in terms of function. Rather, it is fit that is the only issue I need to consider. I had an Droid X that I have and was generally pleased with it, but I am quite concerned about the thickness added to the middle.

I wonder if I might get a simple silicone skin, and cut away much of it, so that the corners are protected? And then use that with one of the flip covers. See the attached drawing to see how I am thinking of trimming the silicone. I will try it with my Droid X silicone skin.

I am concerned about how well it will hold on to the Note, once it is trimmed. Even without trimming, I already have problems with my screen protector coming off at the edges,when the edge of the silicone skin gets flipped under it, when I pull it out of my pocket. The Note will definitely NOT be put into my pocket because of its size. So, I will need to put it into some sort of holster. Perhaps I can simply make some sort of pouch I hang from my belt. But, for this idea to work, it would have to be added to fit over a flip cover, and not interfere with its function. Perhaps I also trim the flip cover?
Trimmed Silicone Skin.PNG

-Joe

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

I found a great review of 10 different cases for the Note 3. Here is the link,
10 Best Galaxy Note 3 Cases | Digital Trends

There was one case, the "Tough Jacket Max" that used the concept in my message above, in that it has extended bumpers on the corners. It also has several layers of protection, which normally translates to "thick" but I think I may try it. It was $50 on their web site, though I did see it on e-bay for as low as $30, including shipping.
https://www.goballisticcase.com/shop/samsung/galaxy-note-3/tough-jacket-maxx/

-Joe

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

regarding charging compatibility, i have one of those qi chips, and an otterbox defender and the phone charges fine. i use a nokia charging pad and also the samsung one. So basically, just find a case you like, and they should all charge ok.

Qoheleth

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I found two that work and one that wouldn't. When I got my Note 3, the folks at the T-Mobile Store recommended a very thin Techzi case that is rubberized plastic impregnated with metal braces. I recently got an Otter Box case and it also works. In both cases (pun intended), it took a little pressing to get the case around the wider Note 3, but I was able to do so. The one caveat on the Otter Box is that the screen protector bulges up just a tad due to the extra crimping pressure on the sides. It still works, but it might not be as satisfying. I also tried a Spigen case, but could not get it to close around the Note 3 at all.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Why not just punch out the built in screen protector?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2