Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Solrighal
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default File transfer utility for mac that works

    I am a proud mac user (macbook pro 2012 model)
    I am a even more proud Samsung note 3 user!

    This is an old problem of mine, have never got a working solution, maybe 2014 can help me?

    I have some 1 gb of music on my Note 3. Not any music - the complete albums of Beatles ( everyone from Please please me to Let it Be).
    But I have them on internal memory, not on the 64GB SD card, thats too bad.

    So:

    a) How do I copy this music to my Dropbox?
    b) How do I move this music to my 64GB sd card on my Note 3
    c) How do I best copy this to my Xperia Z which I use solely as music player (it has a 16GB sd card)

    I am not at all a computer genius, just an old retired gardener, but this Beatles music is so important to me,
    I have really forgotten howw my grandson ever managed to put them on my phone.

    Yes, I have tried Kies, but that didnt work at all, could never find the device, I have no time wating on that,
    and I found a program on my mac Android File Transfer, that wouldnt see my device either, will not start at all when I connect the usb cable

    There must be a software out there that is just plain and easy, just copy the music, nothing more fany than that ??
  2. #2  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Welcome to Android Central, and goo-goo-g'joob! You could consider transferring files wirelessly, but be aware that this could take a while. You can use apps like WiFi File Explorer or AirDroid to access your phone's files from your Mac's browser, and download those files. The tricky thing is that multiple files are usually downloaded as a ZIP file, which you can then unzip on your computer--I'm just not sure if there's a limit to how many files can be downloaded at a time.
  3. #3  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Just setup and install Google Drive. It's all wireless, seamless on the device, OS X and Windows. You get 15 GB of free storage included and there's no charge for any of it, unless you want to buy additional storage.The OS X clients I have tried are useless and cumbersome, not to mention that they don't work anyway. LOL
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    I used this to transfer my ITunes:

    Sync Your iTunes Music with Your Android Phone
  5. #5  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Android File Transfer works flawlessly for me on my Mac Pro 2009.

    I would persevere with that if I was you. It should work no problem.

    What is happening? Does it not open automatically when you plug in your phone?

    Do you get any error messages?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central, and goo-goo-g'joob! You could consider transferring files wirelessly, but be aware that this could take a while. You can use apps like WiFi File Explorer or AirDroid to access your phone's files from your Mac's browser, and download those files. The tricky thing is that multiple files are usually downloaded as a ZIP file, which you can then unzip on your computer--I'm just not sure if there's a limit to how many files can be downloaded at a time.
    Airdroid is the best and easiest way. Apple always has to make everything difficult when it comes to any other platform.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  7. #7  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryasanne View Post
    I am a proud mac user (macbook pro 2012 model)
    I am a even more proud Samsung note 3 user!

    This is an old problem of mine, have never got a working solution, maybe 2014 can help me?

    I have some 1 gb of music on my Note 3. Not any music - the complete albums of Beatles ( everyone from Please please me to Let it Be).
    But I have them on internal memory, not on the 64GB SD card, thats too bad.

    So:

    a) How do I copy this music to my Dropbox?
    b) How do I move this music to my 64GB sd card on my Note 3
    c) How do I best copy this to my Xperia Z which I use solely as music player (it has a 16GB sd card)

    I am not at all a computer genius, just an old retired gardener, but this Beatles music is so important to me,
    I have really forgotten howw my grandson ever managed to put them on my phone.

    Yes, I have tried Kies, but that didnt work at all, could never find the device, I have no time wating on that,
    and I found a program on my mac Android File Transfer, that wouldnt see my device either, will not start at all when I connect the usb cable

    There must be a software out there that is just plain and easy, just copy the music, nothing more fany than that ??
    Android File Transfer won't work if Kies is also installed. There's some sort of device/driver conflict.

    I've had great success with Kies 3.0. Sees my Note 3 each time. On the main Kies page that shows the device, double click on the folder for the internal or external SD card. This brings up a small "finder like" window. From there you can navigate to the stuff you want to move to/from your Mac's relevant Finder folder location.

    The WIFi based options others have shared are probably quickest option if you don't want to troubleshoot your Kies and AFT situation.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    I was using Android File Transfer too and it Worked fine. Then I read about kies and installed that. Of course then Android File Transfer stopped working for me.
    As I have no real use for Kies l uninstalled it but Android File Transfer still won't work! Now I'm stuck. I'm using a Mac Mini 2012.

    Sent from my SM-N9005
  9. #9  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    As I said, Google Drive. Fastest and easiest way for OS X. I tried Android File transfer and it never worked for me, but Google Drive is seamless.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Sadly for me 1 Live out in the sticks. My connection speed is 300 kbps! This makes the cloud a pipedream for me.

    Sent from my SM-N9005
  11. #11  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Quote Originally Posted by Solrighal View Post
    I was using Android File Transfer too and it Worked fine. Then I read about kies and installed that. Of course then Android File Transfer stopped working for me.
    As I have no real use for Kies l uninstalled it but Android File Transfer still won't work! Now I'm stuck. I'm using a Mac Mini 2012.

    Sent from my SM-N9005
    If you haven't already tried, I'd uninstall AFT, then reboot your Mini. This might help flush out anything still hanging around from the Kies install/uninstall, and the AFT uninstall. After the reboot, a new AFT install may work better.

    I've also used Droid NAS. Helps your Android device emulate and show up as an Apple like File System/device in Finder.

    AirDroid, or even Kies Air are other options to consider per everyone elses suggestion for WiFi based tools.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    When I uninstalled Kies I just did it the Apple way but I've now been reading elsewhere that I need to use the built-in Kies uninstaller. I'll try that now by re-installing Kies first. Getting sick of this nonsense to be honest.

    Sent from my SM-N9005
  13. #13  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    OK, problem solved. I re-downloaded Kies and ran the uninstaller which comes in the package (even though at this point Kies isn't actually installed) and rebooted the computer. I installed AFT and all is well in my world.

    Thanks very much for the help.

    Sent from my SM-N9005
    Dog5000 likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Me too thanks to your saying "I re-downloaded Kies and ran the uninstaller which comes in the package (even though at this point Kies isn't actually installed) before I did try to no avail, since I have the problem for 2 weeks I spent hours on Google and a few forum, to night half an hour and its working, most thanks everybody
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    How do you get kies to work on the mac? When I use it, it hangs forever...or crashes. I tried it 2 different macs
  16. #16  
    louee6's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    You won't find nothing easier than Airdroid!!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Kies worked fine for me on my Mac but I didn't really see the point in it when Android File Transfer does all I need it to and with a far smaller footprint. Sorry though, I have no idea why it hangs on your Mac.

    Sent from my SM-N9005
  18. #18  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    You use android file system to backup your phone?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    No I don't. That's actually a point I hadn't considered. Hmm.

    Sent from my SM-N9005
  20. #20  

    Default Re: File transfer utility for mac that works

    Quote Originally Posted by louee6 View Post
    You won't find nothing easier than Airdroid!!
    Ya Go Premium | AirDroid

    $20/year...OUCH!

Similar Threads

  1. My Headphones aren't working with my Moto X
    By Maxine Rawlinson in forum Moto X
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 02:16 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 11:26 PM
  3. Charging Dock for HTC ONE MAX with Rugged Case?
    By gd761 in forum HTC One Max
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM
  4. Kiew3 Backup not working on some items
    By washa1 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Posting Permissions