Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do S-View Covers Work?

I was wondering how does the S-Veiw covers actually work.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Sprint with Tapatalk 2
    For the sake of protecting you, my precious person, I shall turn into the Chronicle Key.

Default Re: How do S-View Covers Work?

The case has a magnet in lower half of the front and has a chip on the back of the case. I have attached a picture showing where the magnet is located.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 3:

Here you go. A good video reviewing the S cover

Thanked by:
    Spencerdl likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ah now that's cool. I assume the chip has to be in the back of the case to work?
    For the sake of protecting you, my precious person, I shall turn into the Chronicle Key.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    Ah now that's cool. I assume the chip has to be in the back of the case to work?
    Yeah. I believe the case will replace your stock back cover. So many people who get the case says it doesn't add any extra weight.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

I like the case except one thing,,, I have 9 cases and this is the only case I can't use my bed side charging dock with .. I had the case on for 30 mins, took it off and put it back in the box., bummer.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

I had the S-view case that also enables wireless charging. I have tried many other cases but always go back to this one. I totally love the convenience of wireless charging.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGo View Post
    I had the S-view case that also enables wireless charging. I have tried many other cases but always go back to this one. I totally love the convenience of wireless charging.
    How do you find the thickness on the wireless s view cover?
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2

Man, I almost purchased this tonight. Really wanted to. The case looks slick and doesn't add much weight or heft to the phone. And the S View window access is really fantastic.

But as I expected, typing on the phone is just impossible, unless you fold the front cover all the way behind the phone. Do that dozens of time every day and I doubt if the case will not show tears on the spine's top and bottom edges after some time. And for the price of this case, that'd be a damn shame.

Unless others who've had it for months now can confirm that theirs are still pristine and without tears even after hundreds or thousands of times of folding the cover all the way back, I might revisit this case again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by superairwolf View Post
    Man, I almost purchased this tonight. Really wanted to. The case looks slick and doesn't add much weight or heft to the phone. And the S View window access is really fantastic.

But as I expected, typing on the phone is just impossible, unless you fold the front cover all the way behind the phone. Do that dozens of time every day and I doubt if the case will not show tears on the spine's top and bottom edges after some time. And for the price of this case, that'd be a damn shame.

Unless others who've had it for months now can confirm that theirs are still pristine and without tears even after hundreds or thousands of times of folding the cover all the way back, I might revisit this case again.

I don't know about the Note 3's S-view case, but I had one for my S4. I used to fold it back all the time to do things. It's still in good condition 5 months on. I gave the phone to my Boyfriend and he is using the case. It still looks pretty good. The Note S view cover looks and feels a lot more premium than the Note's so I expect it to last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by superairwolf View Post

My case has been on since December and it is folded back a lot and still looks new. The only issue I have is when it is folded back for awhile the cover does not like to close. So I set the phone face down and it will relax after a couple of mins.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuc794 View Post
    My case has been on since December and it is folded back a lot and still looks new. The only issue I have is when it is folded back for awhile the cover does not like to close. So I set the phone face down and it will relax after a couple of mins.

Yes, this is the other thing I anticipated, but I'm more concerned on the potential tearing of the top and bottom edge of the spine area from all the stress of folding the front cover all the way back every time you need to type on the phone.

So how's yours holding up? No tears so far?

Appreciate your feedback as it looks like I won't be able to resist purchasing this thing for the s view functionality.

Not even a crease or mark from folding it back. When I am in the car I fold the cover back and put the phone in my car mount.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuc794 View Post
    Not even a crease or mark from folding it back. When I am in the car I fold the cover back and put the phone in my car mount.

Thanks, man. That settles it then, I'm going back tomorrow and am going to purchase it.

How do you activate the screen ? Do you always have to open the case then close it ? Or can you hit the power button ? Or does it respond to movement ?

Pushing power button turns the Window on for like 10 secs then goes to sleep again. Or hut the button a second time to turn it off sooner.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    913 Global Posts

For anyone thinking about picking up the Samsung S View, I would recommend getting the Spigen magnetic clip as well.
    For the first few weeks I had the S View it drove me nuts that the cover wouldn't stay closed when I put my Note down. With the clip on, the problem no longer exists. And I find that it actually adds to the case as well.

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by vpblaze View Post
    For anyone thinking about picking up the Samsung S View, I would recommend getting the Spigen magnetic clip as well.
    For the first few weeks I had the S View it drove me nuts that the cover wouldn't stay closed when I put my Note down. With the clip on, the problem no longer exists. And I find that it actually adds to the case as well.

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    I'm looking into one of these as I only just bought the case yesterday. I think eventually it will break in but a bit painful at first.
    Anyone know the best place to get this clip in Australia or am I going to have to rely online?

I ordered a knock-off S-View off of Ebay today for $6.50. They have all the colors Samsung offers, have the magnet, the chip, and full S-View capabilities. Even reviews saying that people had it working on 4.4.2. I'll let everyone know how it is once I get it (I bought from a reseller in California instead of China direct, costs $1-$1.50 more, but shipping is much faster). From all the pictures it looks identical to the Samsung covers (which I have handled and will compare quality with).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigmouthmedia View Post
    How do you activate the screen ? Do you always have to open the case then close it ? Or can you hit the power button ? Or does it respond to movement ?
    Power button or open and close. If it responded to movement (the way Moto X active notifications do) that would be an awesome addition.

Global Posts
    913 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceEpyon View Post
    I'm looking into one of these as I only just bought the case yesterday. I think eventually it will break in but a bit painful at first.
    Anyone know the best place to get this clip in Australia or am I going to have to rely online?

I have only seen them available online. Check out Amazon or the Spigen site directly. Even after a while, without the clip, the case will not fully close on its on. The clip is a must. Keeps it closed all the time.

Sent from my ballin Tab 3 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vpblaze View Post
    I have only seen them available online. Check out Amazon or the Spigen site directly. Even after a while, without the clip, the case will not fully close on its on. The clip is a must. Keeps it closed all the time.

Sent from my ballin Tab 3 using Tapatalk
    I was an early adopter of the Samsung case, when the Spigen case came out I bought it. The chip was bad and it would only go into S-View mode on occasion. 3 replacement chips later and it worked flawlessly. Then after only 3 months use, the hinge crumbled. I am back using the Samsung case. It's a shame as I liked the extra protection of the Spigen and the locking front. But I am not going to throw more money at it. Plus in only about 6 more months we should expect the Note 4 (or at least I hope so).

I like s view cover, mine has no problem closing even after folding back for very long periods of time.

The only thing I dont like is that I can't see the notification LED with the cover closed.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

I decide to get the Spigen Clip with my S-View case. I like the case, but I don't use it for my everyday case.
    How do S-View Covers Work?-uploadfromtaptalk1397770426164.jpg
    How do S-View Covers Work?-uploadfromtaptalk1397770482971.jpg
    How do S-View Covers Work?-uploadfromtaptalk1397770524407.jpgHow do S-View Covers Work?-uploadfromtaptalk1397770550257.jpg
    Sent from MY BLACK G'NOTE3

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I ordered a knock-off S-View off of Ebay today for $6.50. They have all the colors Samsung offers, have the magnet, the chip, and full S-View capabilities. Even reviews saying that people had it working on 4.4.2. I'll let everyone know how it is once I get it (I bought from a reseller in California instead of China direct, costs $1-$1.50 more, but shipping is much faster). From all the pictures it looks identical to the Samsung covers (which I have handled and will compare quality with).

- - - Updated - - -

Power button or open and close. If it responded to movement (the way Moto X active notifications do) that would be an awesome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    I decide to get the Spigen Clip with my S-View case. I like the case, but I don't use it for my everyday case.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397770426164.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	113261

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397770482971.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	113262

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397770524407.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	113263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397770550257.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	113264
    Sent from MY BLACK G'NOTE3
    Like everyone, the thing that really miffs me is the S-Cover not folding flat on the display especially after using the phone with the cover folded back after typing on the phone for SMS, social chat, etc. Not seeing the LED notifications is another kink.

The looks of the S-Cover, for me though, makes up for all these downsides. I've three other various cases, but the S-Cover is what I've been using the longest since I finally purchased it. Took a while because of the hefty price, but finally bit the bullet and never looked back.

I saw this Spigen magnetic clip accessory, and it seems to be a good solution in keeping the cover stay put, but it totally ruins the professional look of the S-Cover for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast