Question on build quality and durability

skirush2014

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
My brother got a new note from t-mo. He had it a few short weeks. He said he had a light Spigen case on it and dropped it from waist high (he's 6'2") and the phone feel on a wood floor. Afterward, he said the screen went black..it didn't crack...just went black like it died. This rendered the phone useless.

He was able to get a replacement phone from t-mo... But my question is about the build quality of this phone. I dropped my old iPhone 5 many times from this same height (with a minimalist case) and never had any issues. It was like it never happened.

Was the situation with my brothers phone a freak event? Or, is the durability of this phone suspect?

Posted via Android Central App

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I have dropped mine several times workout issue. However. It really is a matter of luck. Depending on how it falls anything is possible. I have seen iPhone break after one fall as well. anything can break it all just depends really

Rockin my Note 3

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had the iPhone and drop it once and the screen shattered.
Like areyes said, it really all depends.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
.....my Echo dropped fifteen feet onto polished, hardened concrete (no case). That 7.5oz ******* chipped the concrete. The Echo got a 0.2mm rounding off on the corner that hit, and lost a little paint. It didn't even open up or eject the battery that time, took the hit cold. Still works great!

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I personally know a single person that hasn't cracked/shattered their iPhone screen (a couple of them have done it multiple times). Yeah yeah, I know. I'm sure some of you haven't.

It's made me very cynical of the iPhone for that very reason.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's not just how high the device is dropped, but so the angle and speed at which it hits the floor. It's likely that something disconnected or was damaged from the fall. I wouldn't say it's representative of the Note 3 's build quality. Instead, just a matter of an unfortunate accident. Aside from using a beefier case, which won't prevent damage, just try and be a little more careful with handling the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I drop my phone at least once a week maybe more and my phone is occasionally thrown too. No issues so far though I do have an otterbox commuter case.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro