Best Camera App?

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I find the Note 3's camera stock app to be Meh imo. Of course I'm not going to get dslr quality with it I'll reserve that for my nikon d7000 but what's a good third party camera app?

Posted via Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Camera MX is pretty cool. It comes with lot of built in effects and customizations.
Camera FX Zoom is also good as previously stated.

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
ProCapture is the most DSLR-like in its layout and controls, and goes the furthest out in terms of ISO, but I found that in a single, one shot comparison of a low light subject, Camera FX edged it out slightly in terms of quality (to my eyes). FV-5 was slightly behind either by a small margin but all three were without question far better than stock.

I posted the shots in the lengthy thread asking who thought that the camera sucked (toward the very end). It's a very small and limited sample admittedly, but it represents conditions that test the limits of the camera. You can look at them and decide for yourself. Keep in mind that photos posted to the forum will suffer from some compression simply from posting so the real results, so the originals are a little better, but they all suffer equally from the compression so you have a basis for comparison.

The biggest difference between the camera phone and the DSLR/quality portable other than the obvious lens/sensor quality is the choice of exposure parameters that the phone is forced to make because of the size or lens and sensor. Whereas my Panasonic GF1/1.7 prime 20 mm combo (a great 4/3 machine and lens) chose 1/15 at 800 ISO for the same scene, the Note 3 various camera apps and stock generally had to go 1/10 at 1600 ISO. There's just no way to get around that when you're shooting with almost a pinhole camera, as you indicate. But any of those three apps can produce very good photos considering. ..

GravityMan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
ProCapture is the most DSLR-like in its layout and controls, and goes the furthest out in terms of ISO, but I found that in a single, one shot comparison of a low light subject, Camera FX edged it out slightly in terms of quality (to my eyes). FV-5 was slightly behind either by a small margin but all three were without question far better than stock.

I posted the shots in the lengthy thread asking who thought that the camera sucked (toward the very end). It's a very small and limited sample admittedly, but it represents conditions that test the limits of the camera. You can look at them and decide for yourself. Keep in mind that photos posted to the forum will suffer from some compression simply from posting so the real results, so the originals are a little better, but they all suffer equally from the compression so you have a basis for comparison.

The biggest difference between the camera phone and the DSLR/quality portable other than the obvious lens/sensor quality is the choice of exposure parameters that the phone is forced to make because of the size or lens and sensor. Whereas my Panasonic GF1/1.7 prime 20 mm combo (a great 4/3 machine and lens) chose 1/15 at 800 ISO for the same scene, the Note 3 various camera apps and stock generally had to go 1/10 at 1600 ISO. There's just no way to get around that when you're shooting with almost a pinhole camera, as you indicate. But any of those three apps can produce very good photos considering. ..

This guy seems to know what he is talking about.... Good in-depth advice!

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
What's interesting is that my wife's s4 seems to have a better native camera app than the note 3. Her s4 doesn't do that random wierd painted effect like the n3.

RockoB8

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I always steer away from the free camera apps, but I would sometimes download certain ones and play around with them. I purchased this one camera app a couple months ago called Focal Beta, and I really enjoyed the features it offers. I haven't really looking into any other camera apps though.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok but is the Note 3's annoying intermittent paint brush effect bug gone with this app?

If your talking about the over aggressive noise control in low light situations, yes, but to get the most out of camera fv-5 you need to read and understand what you are doing. It gives you full control over ISO, up to ISO 1600, shutter, aperture, exposure compensation and more

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
The vast majority of people who use a smartphone camera are not going to be adjusting ISO,shutter speed and EV before they take a photo.The moment will be gone by the time they get the settings right.Most people won't have the patience either.

So which app has the best auto mode?I give the thumbs up to ProCapture.It goes all the way up to ISO1600 so the auto mode is good for day and night shots.Some other apps does this also but I have found ProCapture to be less noisy at ISO1600 yet doesn't have that oil painting effect.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
In my original post, I meant to say that the FV-5 was the closest to SLR controls, not ProCapture, just as others have written.

Mea culpa.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
ProCapture doesn't allow manual ISO setting which is strange considering it has pro to it's name.Nevertheless,I think it has the best auto mode.

Don't discount the stock camera app though.The HDR mode is great and of course the amazing 4K video which you can use as a 30 fps 8MP sports camera.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The vast majority of people who use a smartphone camera are not going to be adjusting ISO,shutter speed and EV before they take a photo.The moment will be gone by the time they get the settings right.Most people won't have the patience either.

So which app has the best auto mode?I give the thumbs up to ProCapture.It goes all the way up to ISO1600 so the auto mode is good for day and night shots.Some other apps does this also but I have found ProCapture to be less noisy at ISO1600 yet doesn't have that oil painting effect.

You are correct, I was answering OP question, he stated he has a D7000 so I assumed he would be after more control than the stock camera app gives, and I find that camera fv-5 does fine in auto mode also.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
You are correct, I was answering OP question, he stated he has a D7000 so I assumed he would be after more control than the stock camera app gives, and I find that camera fv-5 does fine in auto mode also.
How does photos look at ISO1600 with FV5 compared to ProCapture?This is really the acid test as most apps do well in good lighting.

I have compared ProCapture with Zoom FX and prefer the former.Photos maybe slightly less detail as there is more noise reduction but they are less noisy and grainy.This is personal preference of course and another person might prefer more detail at the expense of more noise.

If you are after full manual control,then you can't go past FV5.It's the only app that allows control of shutter speed.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
How does photos look at ISO1600 with FV5 compared to ProCapture?This is really the acid test as most apps do well in good lighting.

I have compared ProCapture with Zoom FX and prefer the former.Photos maybe slightly less detail as there is more noise reduction but they are less noisy and grainy.This is personal preference of course and another person might prefer more detail at the expense of more noise.

If you are after full manual control,then you can't go past FV5.It's the only app that allows control of shutter speed.

To be honest, I haven't shot enough low light to answer, the few test shots I've done look really good on the phone, but i haven't looked at them on a bigger screen yet. Being a DSLR shooter i like having the control fv-5 offers and it's low light performance is head and shoulders above stock app, I've also not tried ProCapture but plan to.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Mmm, somewhat, I'm mainly looking to get rid of that pesky occasional painted look that the note 3 camera has.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Mmm, somewhat, I'm mainly looking to get rid of that pesky occasional painted look that the note 3 camera has.

The oil painting effect is the result of the smart stabilisation mode.It appears to have very aggressive noise reduction and the result is an over processed look.I would turn it off unless you don't mind that effect and it seems a lot of people don't mind as long as the photo is bright enough and noise free.

I think the trick with night shots is finding an app that does well in the ISO 800 to 1600 range.I prefer ProCapture because it gets the right balance of detail and noise reduction in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995