Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Camera App?

Ok so I find the Note 3's camera stock app to be Meh imo. Of course I'm not going to get dslr quality with it I'll reserve that for my nikon d7000 but what's a good third party camera app?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Best Camera App?

Camera FX Zoom

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Camera MX is pretty cool. It comes with lot of built in effects and customizations.
    Camera FX Zoom is also good as previously stated.

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

ProCapture is the most DSLR-like in its layout and controls, and goes the furthest out in terms of ISO, but I found that in a single, one shot comparison of a low light subject, Camera FX edged it out slightly in terms of quality (to my eyes). FV-5 was slightly behind either by a small margin but all three were without question far better than stock.

I posted the shots in the lengthy thread asking who thought that the camera sucked (toward the very end). It's a very small and limited sample admittedly, but it represents conditions that test the limits of the camera. You can look at them and decide for yourself. Keep in mind that photos posted to the forum will suffer from some compression simply from posting so the real results, so the originals are a little better, but they all suffer equally from the compression so you have a basis for comparison.

The biggest difference between the camera phone and the DSLR/quality portable other than the obvious lens/sensor quality is the choice of exposure parameters that the phone is forced to make because of the size or lens and sensor. Whereas my Panasonic GF1/1.7 prime 20 mm combo (a great 4/3 machine and lens) chose 1/15 at 800 ISO for the same scene, the Note 3 various camera apps and stock generally had to go 1/10 at 1600 ISO. There's just no way to get around that when you're shooting with almost a pinhole camera, as you indicate. But any of those three apps can produce very good photos considering. ..

Shane Dowler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by teleburst View Post
    ProCapture is the most DSLR-like in its layout and controls, and goes the furthest out in terms of ISO, but I found that in a single, one shot comparison of a low light subject, Camera FX edged it out slightly in terms of quality (to my eyes). FV-5 was slightly behind either by a small margin but all three were without question far better than stock.

I posted the shots in the lengthy thread asking who thought that the camera sucked (toward the very end). It's a very small and limited sample admittedly, but it represents conditions that test the limits of the camera. You can look at them and decide for yourself. Keep in mind that photos posted to the forum will suffer from some compression simply from posting so the real results, so the originals are a little better, but they all suffer equally from the compression so you have a basis for comparison.

The biggest difference between the camera phone and the DSLR/quality portable other than the obvious lens/sensor quality is the choice of exposure parameters that the phone is forced to make because of the size or lens and sensor. Whereas my Panasonic GF1/1.7 prime 20 mm combo (a great 4/3 machine and lens) chose 1/15 at 800 ISO for the same scene, the Note 3 various camera apps and stock generally had to go 1/10 at 1600 ISO. There's just no way to get around that when you're shooting with almost a pinhole camera, as you indicate. But any of those three apps can produce very good photos considering. ..

This guy seems to know what he is talking about.... Good in-depth advice!

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

You must have missed this...

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

I just started using Camera FV-5. I love the interface. Very good so far.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

What's interesting is that my wife's s4 seems to have a better native camera app than the note 3. Her s4 doesn't do that random wierd painted effect like the n3.

Quote Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post
    I just started using Camera FV-5. I love the interface. Very good so far.
    Another vote for camera fv-5, very DSLR like interface wise.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I always steer away from the free camera apps, but I would sometimes download certain ones and play around with them. I purchased this one camera app a couple months ago called Focal Beta, and I really enjoyed the features it offers. I haven't really looking into any other camera apps though.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    Another vote for camera fv-5, very DSLR like interface wise.
    Ok but is the Note 3's annoying intermittent paint brush effect bug gone with this app?

Quote Originally Posted by zapfrog View Post
    Ok but is the Note 3's annoying intermittent paint brush effect bug gone with this app?

If your talking about the over aggressive noise control in low light situations, yes, but to get the most out of camera fv-5 you need to read and understand what you are doing. It gives you full control over ISO, up to ISO 1600, shutter, aperture, exposure compensation and more

The vast majority of people who use a smartphone camera are not going to be adjusting ISO,shutter speed and EV before they take a photo.The moment will be gone by the time they get the settings right.Most people won't have the patience either.

So which app has the best auto mode?I give the thumbs up to ProCapture.It goes all the way up to ISO1600 so the auto mode is good for day and night shots.Some other apps does this also but I have found ProCapture to be less noisy at ISO1600 yet doesn't have that oil painting effect.

In my original post, I meant to say that the FV-5 was the closest to SLR controls, not ProCapture, just as others have written.

Mea culpa.

ProCapture doesn't allow manual ISO setting which is strange considering it has pro to it's name.Nevertheless,I think it has the best auto mode.

Don't discount the stock camera app though.The HDR mode is great and of course the amazing 4K video which you can use as a 30 fps 8MP sports camera.

Quote Originally Posted by back2Dfuture View Post
    The vast majority of people who use a smartphone camera are not going to be adjusting ISO,shutter speed and EV before they take a photo.The moment will be gone by the time they get the settings right.Most people won't have the patience either.

So which app has the best auto mode?I give the thumbs up to ProCapture.It goes all the way up to ISO1600 so the auto mode is good for day and night shots.Some other apps does this also but I have found ProCapture to be less noisy at ISO1600 yet doesn't have that oil painting effect.
    You are correct, I was answering OP question, he stated he has a D7000 so I assumed he would be after more control than the stock camera app gives, and I find that camera fv-5 does fine in auto mode also.

You are correct, I was answering OP question, he stated he has a D7000 so I assumed he would be after more control than the stock camera app gives, and I find that camera fv-5 does fine in auto mode also.
    How does photos look at ISO1600 with FV5 compared to ProCapture?This is really the acid test as most apps do well in good lighting.

I have compared ProCapture with Zoom FX and prefer the former.Photos maybe slightly less detail as there is more noise reduction but they are less noisy and grainy.This is personal preference of course and another person might prefer more detail at the expense of more noise.

If you are after full manual control,then you can't go past FV5.It's the only app that allows control of shutter speed.

How does photos look at ISO1600 with FV5 compared to ProCapture?This is really the acid test as most apps do well in good lighting.

I have compared ProCapture with Zoom FX and prefer the former.Photos maybe slightly less detail as there is more noise reduction but they are less noisy and grainy.This is personal preference of course and another person might prefer more detail at the expense of more noise.

If you are after full manual control,then you can't go past FV5.It's the only app that allows control of shutter speed.
    To be honest, I haven't shot enough low light to answer, the few test shots I've done look really good on the phone, but i haven't looked at them on a bigger screen yet. Being a DSLR shooter i like having the control fv-5 offers and it's low light performance is head and shoulders above stock app, I've also not tried ProCapture but plan to.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Mmm, somewhat, I'm mainly looking to get rid of that pesky occasional painted look that the note 3 camera has.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by zapfrog View Post
    Mmm, somewhat, I'm mainly looking to get rid of that pesky occasional painted look that the note 3 camera has.

The oil painting effect is the result of the smart stabilisation mode.It appears to have very aggressive noise reduction and the result is an over processed look.I would turn it off unless you don't mind that effect and it seems a lot of people don't mind as long as the photo is bright enough and noise free.

I think the trick with night shots is finding an app that does well in the ISO 800 to 1600 range.I prefer ProCapture because it gets the right balance of detail and noise reduction in my opinion.

B2DF, you saw the photos I posted in the "camera sucks" thread, right? Which did *you* think did the best in low light auto mode (auto with the flash turned off that is)?

B2DF, you saw the photos I posted in the "camera sucks" thread, right? Which did *you* think did the best in low light auto mode (auto with the flash turned off that is)?

I would say ProCapture and FV5 are quite even as they both have the same exposure at ISO1600 and 1/15 shutter.However,the photo taken by FV5 appears as though there is a blue tinge to it but I am not sure if that is representative of the actual lighting in the room.Only you would know.The photo taken by Zoom FX undoubtedly looks brighter because it had a longer exposure at 1/10 shutter so I suppose that would be the most attractive but it did have the benefit of a slower shutter.

It's hard for me to judge because I am not in the room to compare the photos to and determine which one comes closest to the actual scene.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

The oil painting effect is the result of the smart stabilisation mode.It appears to have very aggressive noise reduction and the result is an over processed look.I would turn it off unless you don't mind that effect and it seems a lot of people don't mind as long as the photo is bright enough and noise free.

I think the trick with night shots is finding an app that does well in the ISO 800 to 1600 range.I prefer ProCapture because it gets the right balance of detail and noise reduction in my opinion.
    I've turned everything off and that effect still pops up. Very super annoying.

I would say ProCapture and FV5 are quite even as they both have the same exposure at ISO1600 and 1/15 shutter.However,the photo taken by FV5 appears as though there is a blue tinge to it but I am not sure if that is representative of the actual lighting in the room.Only you would know.The photo taken by Zoom FX undoubtedly looks brighter because it had a longer exposure at 1/10 shutter so I suppose that would be the most attractive but it did have the benefit of a slower shutter.

It's hard for me to judge because I am not in the room to compare the photos to and determine which one comes closest to the actual scene.
    There shouldn't be a blue tinge.

Yeah, FX is brighter. It chose a slower shutter speed. That's part of the calculus in deciding which is best for auto shooting. I was also looking at rug texture and the face of the speaker in terms of how detail and shadows were portrayed. I was kind of surprised that FX took the top prize.

There shouldn't be a blue tinge.

Yeah, FX is brighter. It chose a slower shutter speed. That's part of the calculus in deciding which is best for auto shooting. I was also looking at rug texture and the face of the speaker in terms of how detail and shadows were portrayed. I was kind of surprised that FX took the top prize.
    Having said that, my Panasonic GF1 chose 1/15 at 800 ISO. It would have been tricky to shoot a clean shot hand-held at that speed because of the weight of the camera (not that it weighs THAT much, mind you. Anything under 1/30 and you take your chances.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast