Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scottwood2
  • 1 Post By clevin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3: Why is my battery all of a sudden draining so fast?

Hey guys

So I never had problems with my Note 3 batteries until this morning. I went to sleep for 4 hours when phone had about 75% charge left and when I woke up 4 hours later it only had 22% charged.

I didn't have anything running and seemed like a program or App is draining my battery.

When I checked it showed that "Google Play Services" is using 62% of my batter when the screen is only using 15%

Does anyone know why Google Play Services using so much of the battery and how do I stop this?

I never had this happen before in the past

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-03-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Default Re: Why is my battery all of a sudden draining so fast?

Google play services is not even listed on my top battery usage apps. Maybe try to reboot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    mchi5 
    Alvin Sim likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post
    Google play services is not even listed on my top battery usage apps. Maybe try to reboot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Yeah I just did that. Hopefully it will reset itself

Google Play Services never is listed on my battery uses either before. Why I thought this is so weird. Never had battery drainage like this before

Global Posts
    17,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mchi5 View Post
    Yeah I just did that. Hopefully it will reset itself

Google Play Services never is listed on my battery uses either before. Why I thought this is so weird. Never had battery drainage like this before

I would guess an app got stuck while being downloaded. The reboot should help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    mchi5 

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I would guess an app got stuck while being downloaded. The reboot should help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by 2:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Default Re: Note 3: Why is my battery all of a sudden draining so fast?

Thanks for the replies. Must be an automatic update that got stuck while downloading.

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

I had this issue over the weekend (although I forgot to check battery usage stats). Only way I could resolve it was to hard reset my phone. If it happens again I will make sure to check the battery usage stats.

Don't some apps wait a long time for specific new permissions if set to auto update. Not sure, what I've seen, just asking.
    Also Google Play Music was always appearing as a running app on both my phones (+GS2) though I never used it, so I shut it.

@Mchi5 Hope you can pinpoint it if it recurs.

I had Google services taking up 7% golf battery then went to 4%
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well whatever it is, it's gone. I rebooted phone and now battery seems better. I left it alone for 2 hours and when I turned it back on battery had only dropped by 1%

Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Did you turn Google now on recently?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Did you turn Google now on recently?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    No I did not

But now note 3 is back to normal. Battery usage is good now. After powering off and then on phone

What scares me is I use note 3 for alarm clock. Imagine if this happens again and I'm late to work!

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Well, mine was caused by Exchange Services. Kind of sucks since I got the phone partially to make it easier to do work emails. Time to try Touchdown to see if it works better.
    Note 3: Why is my battery all of a sudden draining so fast?-2014-02-05-08-29-23.jpg

I had same issue with Exchange Services, I'm using Mailwise (Beta) now, working much better.
    I'd also reccomend "Fast" for Facebook, not updating in background so no battery drain, but works really well.

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass#IM View Post
    I had same issue with Exchange Services, I'm using Mailwise (Beta) now, working much better.
    I'd also reccomend "Fast" for Facebook, not updating in background so no battery drain, but works really well.
    The free price of Mailwise looks nice, but I need to know how it handles meeting invites etc first.

I've had my note for a couple of months, loved how great the battery was. All of the sudden the battery was draining so quickly! I used the suggestions on this forum - especially loved the tip on holding down the bottom button to bring up the active app screen. After shutting down all open apps, I powered off the phone. So far so good - battery life is back to normal.

i am using my note3 since nore than 1 month. I was happy with battery life better than note 1 old version. But since last week battery z draining so fast even if i am not using.charging very fast. Fully charged within 2 hours but within few hour already 20-30% left.cannot understand. Uninstalled all my battery saver n antivirus apps.thought maybe bevz of them

Quote Originally Posted by Suvd Undrakh View Post
    i am using my note3 since nore than 1 month. I was happy with battery life better than note 1 old version. But since last week battery z draining so fast even if i am not using.charging very fast. Fully charged within 2 hours but within few hour already 20-30% left.cannot understand. Uninstalled all my battery saver n antivirus apps.thought maybe bevz of them
    there maybe some rogue apps
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510

I had a similar problem on my S3 - exchange services draining my battery. I've posted a solution that solved it for me in another post.:
    Battery Drain Issue from Exchange Services Data

My battery is draining fast as well, but I could be spoiled as I just switched from the Droid RZR Maxx. I could go three days on a full charge. I don't see that happening with the Note 3. I'm bummed.

Wanted to add that I have searched for a battery with extended life, but the only ones available also come with a case to adapt to the larger (much thicker) battery. You can't use the extended life batteries without a special (thick) case, which is very unfortunate, since I like the slim profile of the N3. Wah!

Quote Originally Posted by laurmyer View Post
    Wanted to add that I have searched for a battery with extended life, but the only ones available also come with a case to adapt to the larger (much thicker) battery. You can't use the extended life batteries without a special (thick) case, which is very unfortunate, since I like the slim profile of the N3. Wah!
    There is a lot of advice and threads on settings and what drains the battery needlessly. I think people have been aiming for at least 5 - 6 hours of screen on time, maybe a lot more. (touch Screen in Battery - also touch grey graph in Battery for signal use and other aspects during the charging cycle) I don't know what the longer battery times are. I currently have 21 hours @ 27% remaining (5 hours screen time), but I low charged in a car for 25 minutes. I learned recently that it's good for the battery to charge mid cycle, and bad to let it go too low very often (5-15%?). others may correct me.
    *I edit a lot*

Anyone?
    Last edited by Madd54; 03-22-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    I know nothing.

I had this issue. Someone in this forum suggested a wipe cache in recovery mode. That fixed everything for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    There is a lot of advice and threads on settings and what drains the battery needlessly. I think people have been aiming for at least 5 - 6 hours of screen on time, maybe a lot more. (touch Screen in Battery - also touch grey graph in Battery for signal use and other aspects during the charging cycle) I don't know what the longer battery times are. I currently have 21 hours @ 27% remaining (5 hours screen time), but I low charged in a car for 25 minutes. I learned recently that it's good for the battery to charge mid cycle, and bad to let it go too low very often (5-15%?). others may correct me.
    *I edit a lot*

Anyone?
    check my master post here, How to realy, really prolong your battery life.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    A very handy reference. I was told also a mid charge counts as a half cycle, and it runs cooler then, ref @rusty502 last week.
    So, from your post link - avoid leaving it plugged in, when charged, if you definitely need 100% and may not be near a charger later; otherwise charge it to around 80% when you can and use 50%, but you have up to another 30% to use where necessary. The phones battery reading may not be accurate though. I'll keep those cycles as a reference.
    It's more of a shame now, as I said then, that there are no chargers that give you the option to select when to stop charging. Although apparently my Note 3 controls the charge not the charger, so I'm still a little unclear there.
    I am happy with my battery so far, though I had 2 GS2 batteries that degraded. I was trying to point the new poster in the right direction, very late at night.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Madd54; 03-24-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    I know nothing.