Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anote3fan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Note 3 is now on Kitkat 4.4.2!

Just installed it OTA here in Indonesia, directly from 4.3

Can't wait to see what's new.

(apologies for double thread if there has already been similar thread)

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: My Note 3 is now on Kitkat 4.4.2!

How do you like it so far?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

much difference?
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    How do you like it so far?
    Let me get back to you in an hour or so... I've just literally finished installing it (well not me, but the phone installed it by itself of course

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by anote3fan View Post
    Let me get back to you in an hour or so... I've just literally finished installing it (well not me, but the phone installed it by itself of course
    Ok. No sweat.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

OK.. Here's my first impressions:

- not that much I can feel and see at the moment, but I definitely think that the icons are now more "floating", that is, there is a depth between the icons and the wallpaper. This I like so much.
    - When I clicked on Knox, it installed immediately, but for some reason it didn't finish installing, maybe my wifi was unstable or something. I am not going to touch knox now for fear of breaking it.
    - It seem quite clear that the system is using noticeable less memory than 4.3. Using Clean Master, the normal RAM used is only around 70% (and I have TONS of apps running in the background). Previously with 4.3, the normal RAM used is around 80%. So that is a HUGE plus
    - I am using NOVA launcher, and have not noticed any differences in speed flipping pages etc., but i thought the "cube" effect when flipping is more pronounced
    - and this what I LOVE the most: Previouosly, when reading FLIPBOARD magazine, I had to wait for more than a few seconds, if at all, if my signal is not HSPA+ before the whole new article is opened, but now even with ordinary 3G, the whole article is opened immediately. GREAT! IT could also possibly that FLIP was already optimized for KitKat (and that means I HOPE ALL appas developers start doing the same)
    - I also feel the camera is launched a few miliseconds quicker. Or maybe it's just my feeling
    - I love how the BBM is now automatically searching my contacts to see who's already on BBM (blackberry messengers). GREAT!!!
    -I have only tried a fraction of my 300+ apps.. so not sure how this works on those apps.
    - So far I haven't experienced problems other have reported (freezes or reboot), or maybe this is a 4.4.2 and those problems are reported on device with 4.4?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I still can't get over how Flipboard now opens whole article almost instantaneously even with unstable connection, after a frustrating few months when Flip developers released updates.
    This is the biggest benefits for me so far with 4.4.2 as I love Flip.

It's certainly a lot smoother I flashed the Poland 4.4.2 and that was my first impressions. Then there is the quick access camera on the lockscreen and a mobile print feature.

I have since then rooted and flashed foxhound rom which has greatly improved my battery not that it was poor to begin with.

Posted via Android Central App

I am using note 3 SM-N900...Still not get kitkat. I live in bangladesh.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I was so pleasantly surprised that a popup said if I want to download the 4.4.2 now or scheduled laer. Obviously I downloaded and install it right away.

I think Google has succeded making kit kat light and zippy.

I was so pleasantly surprised that a popup said if I want to download the 4.4.2 now or scheduled laer. Obviously I downloaded and install it right away.

I think Google has succeded making kit kat light and zippy.
    Most certainly and with foxhound rom it just glides and the battery life well it's good and it's no placebo it really does extend the battery life very well indeed :-)

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Ok I have found the first bug:

Whenever I have split window, doesn't matter which app you put on the top, every time you try to type on that app using keyboard, as soon as you hit the first character, the keyboard SUDDENLY DISAPPEAR. THIS IS A MAJOR ANNOYANCE.
    so if you open two apps suing split windows, whenever you want to write something on that app text box, you have to make sure it is on the the bottom.

THIS IS A MAJOR BUG methinks.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Does anyone know how I can report this bug to google or android team?

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Does anyone know how I can report this bug to google or android team?
    I would email the bug and the specific conditions (basically similar to what you just wrote) to Samsung.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I would email the bug and the specific conditions (basically similar to what you just wrote) to Samsung.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Thanks just did it
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

More bug found:

For inexplicable reason, Chrome suddenly cannot be used side by side with another app in split window, even though every other apps can still continue using split window.

I think this Kit Kat 4.4.2 most affected unique features of Note 3 such as split window which is not found in any other android.

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

More bug found:

For inexplicable reason, Chrome suddenly cannot be used side by side with another app in split window, even though every other apps can still continue using split window.

I think this Kit Kat 4.4.2 most affected unique features of Note 3 such as split window which is not found in any other android.

Very valid point. I would suggest to keep exploring, write down bugs on a sheet of paper and then give Samsung one more email.

Phone Timeline
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

After exactly one week after I installed KitKat 4.4.2, here's my review and conclusion:

I WISHED I HAD NOT DONE IT!

Kitkat 4.4.2 may be perfect for mid range phones with limited RAM and processor, but for Note 3, Kitkat is actually limiting the ability of Note 3. It may save few hundreds MB of RAM, but for Note 3, RAM is the least of its problem, if any.

There have been problems apart from what I have described above that I never experienced with Jellybean 4.3:
    - Now and then, my Note 3 suddenly has intermittent random lag/pause, which is very annoying
    - every couple of days, my phone went into random rebooting
    - It now keeps asking me whether I want to keep messaging or SMS Go Pro as my default messaging app, every time I used one or the other.
    - After rebooting, some of default app like Swiftkey is no longer the default app, and I have to change the setting again.

So, for those of you who are still on 4.3... my advice is no need to rush to 4.4.2 until Samsung fixes all of these problems..
    Thanked by:

Is it available in the Philippines already?

How do we check the region of my note 3 , I think its from singapore or UAE

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by marktika View Post

I don't know.
    I'm in Indonesia, and I suppose it should be available in the Philippines as well.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

4.4.2 was available in Malaysia since a few weeks ago. Things have been smooth. Some users are having reboot issue. The only way to go about that is to factory reset it. It is a great update.

Quote Originally Posted by marktika View Post

Got it few weeks ago. Try it now..

Quote Originally Posted by whitezee10 View Post
    Got it few weeks ago. Try it now..

I still haven't got it , can anyone tell me how do we check the region of our device