Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By back2Dfuture
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 v Digital Audio Player

It seems the N3 is capable of playing 24 bit/192khz lossless flac or wav sound files which are supposed to be CD quality and superior to mp3.I have downloaded a flac Mozart violin concerto and it sounds pretty good to my ears.I was wondering if anyone has compared the sound quality of the N3 to a dedicated DAP.I don't have one to compare to so was wondering if there was a noticeable difference.
    Thanked by:
    Solrighal likes this.

Default Re: Note 3 v Digital Audio Player

I'm also similarly impressed with the output from the GN3 but dedicated players will almost certainly do a better job as they generally employ better DAC 's. I'm currently looking for a separate portable DAC/amp which will give me the best of both worlds.

If you want more info go to Head-Fi. Those guys know everything. There are many threads dedicated to the Note 3 and what is and isn't compatible.

What player are you using right now? Stock Samsung, Poweramp, Neutron etc...

Sent from my SM-N9005
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Solrighal View Post
    I'm also similarly impressed with the output from the GN3 but dedicated players will almost certainly do a better job as they generally employ better DAC 's. I'm currently looking for a separate portable DAC/amp which will give me the best of both worlds.

If you want more info go to Head-Fi. Those guys know everything. There are many threads dedicated to the Note 3 and what is and isn't compatible.

What player are you using right now? Stock Samsung, Poweramp, Neutron etc...

Sent from my SM-N9005
    Thanks for the link.Interesting forum.I am just using the stock player ATM and I am not planning to get a portable dedicated player or amp/dac as I don't like carrying around too many devices.I have a Final Audio Adagio 3 earphone which is obviously better than the lousy stock ones but by no means high end.I don't really want to spend more money on the earphone than the price of the N3 itself.Pretty happy with the Adagio and it's great bass and sound staging for the price.The stock ones that come with the N3 are very poor quality.The ones that came with my old N1 was far superior so Samsung has gone backwards in this regard.

I am sure a dedicated player will provide better audio but I was just wondering if there was a day and night difference and would you actually hear the difference when you are commuting with all the noise.Also,there doesn't seem to be too many threads here discussing how to get the best sound out of the N3.I will have a look at Head Fi and see what I can dig up.

Final Audio Design make some great IEM's so you're sorted there. Why don't you try downloading a couple of demo music player apps? I think It's fair to say Poweramp is the most popular and its good, certainly way better than the stock Samsung Player. Another choice might be Neutron MP, my player of the moment. The UI is certainly friendlier on Poweramp but Neutron is catching up on that score. I personally think Neutron sounds just that wee bit better, YMMV. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N9005
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Do those players playback 24 bit HD music files and do they sound better?I understand they have more features and a better UI but I am looking for the best sound.

Anyway,thanks for the recommendation and I will try them out.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ok I have downloaded both Poweramp and Neutron and initial listening test suggest Poweramp does sound better than the stock player.At higher volumes of Mariah Carey's Emotion,it sounds less fatiguing with lower distortion particularly in the higher frequencies but I will have to listen some more to confirm.

For some reason or another Neutron sounds like it has quite a bit of background white noise.You can hear it during quiter passages of Mozarts violin concerto.When played with Poweramp,there is virtually no white noise.I have to say I prefer Poweramp but this is only after initial listening.

You maybe need to turn the preamp down on Neutron.