1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3: Kernel Battery Drain

Guys. Need help. These days the Kernel (Os) takes up loads of my battery. :/ I left my phone at 40 yesterday night and today I found it was discharged. Major cause was Kernel, taking around 33% in like 6 hours.

Posted from my Note 3
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-09-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Kernel Battery Drain

Quote Originally Posted by uday1577 View Post
    Guys. Need help. These days the Kernel (Os) takes up loads of my battery. :/ I left my phone at 40 yesterday night and today I found it was discharged. Major cause was Kernel, taking around 33% in like 6 hours.

Posted from my Note 3
    Do you have a stock kernel? Or a custom kernel?
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Posted from my Note 3
    Welcome to the forums.
    Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have the stock kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?
    Thank you. How do I do that? I'm still kinda new to Android. Shifted from iPhone 5 recently.

Posted from my Note 3

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I have the stock kernel.

Thank you. How do I do that? I'm still kinda new to Android. Shifted from iPhone 5 recently.

Posted from my Note 3
    Sorry for the lack of information. [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Follow the steps for the S3. If you have any questions before starting, by all means ask.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Default Re: Note 3: Kernel Battery Drain

Okay so I tried some stuff and the Kernel battery drain stopped. BUT... :/ now AudioOut_2 drains my battery. I listened to music using headphones (Sony) and then the media server went mad with wake locks and then this crazy battery drain. Any solutions?

Posted from my Note 3

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Okay so I tried some stuff and the Kernel battery drain stopped. BUT... :/ now AudioOut_2 drains my battery. I listened to music using headphones (Sony) and then the media server went mad with wake locks and then this crazy battery drain. Any solutions?

What things did you do to stop the battery drain from android os/kernel? I lose about 1% every minute or so when im using the phone.

Posted from my Note 3

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Posted from my Note 3
    Good to ask these questions as it helps to better understand what the OS is doing when the phone and it's resources are being used. Based upon the data shown in the image, I wouldn't be concerned. You got over 12 hours of use and still had 23% battery remaining.

Since you were listening to music, the media server procees worked to support media activities. Thus why it showed wake locks since music was playing.
    Last edited by Dog5000; 03-24-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Hi,

I have recently moved from iphone back to Android getting the LG G2(amazing phone!) and was having the exact problem of quick battery drain, with Android system account for 50-60% battery usage when checking battery stats and losing 4-6% battery per hour with the phone screen off and quicker drain when screen on. Being an old android user I knew something was amiss.

Follow your recommendations on this thread I installed GSam and found Android Kernal was accounting for 60% battery drain. After a bit of digging around on forums Google is indicated to possibly to be the culprit. Therefore I went to google settings via the app and done the following;

Connected apps > disconnected all apps bar mail. This seems to have no negative effects
    Location > Turn OFF location reporting. Google play service + low battery use (not sure what this is)
    Search and Now > Google now turned OFF, Phone search = no change,
    Search and Now > voice> OK Google hotword detection > Turn off (think the phone is always listening for a voice command.

Since doing this last night I can report;
    7hrs of phone sleep/standby and only 1-2% battery drain total
    8hrs moderate use today and I'm on 71% remaining (massive increase before the changes. That includes out in the fields in low signal areas (I'm a farmer).
    Sorry for the essey, hope this helps someone

Android kernel and android system still seem to be high up on usage stats but drain is soooo much slower. It may well be this is just something that is the norm for kitkat, but losing just 31% in 8 hours will about do me
    Thanked by:

If your running kitkat, that's why. It's got a major flaw that drains batterys in multiple devices