Note 3: Kernel Battery Drain

uday1577

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Guys. Need help. These days the Kernel (Os) takes up loads of my battery. :/ I left my phone at 40 yesterday night and today I found it was discharged. Major cause was Kernel, taking around 33% in like 6 hours.
imgur: the simple image sharer

Posted from my Note 3

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

uday1577

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I tried some stuff and the Kernel battery drain stopped. BUT... :/ now AudioOut_2 drains my battery. I listened to music using headphones (Sony) and then the media server went mad with wake locks and then this crazy battery drain. Any solutions?
http://imgur.com/KgfKE8a

Posted from my Note 3

Archy88

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I tried some stuff and the Kernel battery drain stopped. BUT... :/ now AudioOut_2 drains my battery. I listened to music using headphones (Sony) and then the media server went mad with wake locks and then this crazy battery drain. Any solutions?

What things did you do to stop the battery drain from android os/kernel? I lose about 1% every minute or so when im using the phone.

Posted from my Note 3

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Posted from my Note 3

Good to ask these questions as it helps to better understand what the OS is doing when the phone and it's resources are being used. Based upon the data shown in the image, I wouldn't be concerned. You got over 12 hours of use and still had 23% battery remaining.

Since you were listening to music, the media server procees worked to support media activities. Thus why it showed wake locks since music was playing.

Last edited:

Mark Batt

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently moved from iphone back to Android getting the LG G2(amazing phone!) and was having the exact problem of quick battery drain, with Android system account for 50-60% battery usage when checking battery stats and losing 4-6% battery per hour with the phone screen off and quicker drain when screen on. Being an old android user I knew something was amiss.

Follow your recommendations on this thread I installed GSam and found Android Kernal was accounting for 60% battery drain. After a bit of digging around on forums Google is indicated to possibly to be the culprit. Therefore I went to google settings via the app and done the following;

Connected apps > disconnected all apps bar mail. This seems to have no negative effects
Location > Turn OFF location reporting. Google play service + low battery use (not sure what this is)
Search and Now > Google now turned OFF, Phone search = no change,
Search and Now > voice> OK Google hotword detection > Turn off (think the phone is always listening for a voice command.

Since doing this last night I can report;
7hrs of phone sleep/standby and only 1-2% battery drain total
8hrs moderate use today and I'm on 71% remaining (massive increase before the changes. That includes out in the fields in low signal areas (I'm a farmer).
Sorry for the essey, hope this helps someone

Android kernel and android system still seem to be high up on usage stats but drain is soooo much slower. It may well be this is just something that is the norm for kitkat, but losing just 31% in 8 hours will about do me