Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

GuccizBud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
?Why do you need that?, ?people don't need that much?, ?everything has its limits? ?! Are you all sh*tting me ? Holy oversight, Batman?not one of you jokers knows that the 4 GB limit comes about because it is 2 raised to the 32nd power ( 2?? ) and these are all? you know? THIRTY-TWO BIT DEVICES ?!? Jesus wept. ;^>

loll_l

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok so we know we can't record a video bigger than 4gb (or over 1 hour in my experience) but is there an app out there that will start another video recording automatically after the first one has reached its limit? The videos could then be joined together afterwards.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
FAT32 does have a limit of 4GB. The phone is written to work with the most common configuration.

Most removable flash drives are formatted using fat32. So the limit is by design to not break the most common setup.

The newer notes can use evFat formatted sd cards, but that isn't required to work.

Pretty much all sd cards 32GB and below are sent out pre formatted as fat32

Posted via Android Central App

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
This also happens with actual camcorders when they record AVCHD or MP4 videos. Only difference is that with actual camcorders, the camcorder will continue to record the video seamlessly, you just have to merge the 4GB videos after on a computer... it's not unique to the Note 3, just merge the videos on a computer after you record everything you need

loll_l

May 21, 2014
Visit site
This also happens with actual camcorders when they record AVCHD or MP4 videos. Only difference is that with actual camcorders, the camcorder will continue to record the video seamlessly, you just have to merge the 4GB videos after on a computer... it's not unique to the Note 3, just merge the videos on a computer after you record everything you need

Yes but the problem with this is you have to be there in person to start the recording over again... which is no good if you are recording through the night for security purposes. Surely someone somewhere has created an app which will start another recording automatically once the first has finished?

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I see, that is an issue. I honestly can't recommend any apps because I've only recorded a few clips on my Galaxy S4. The HD video and audio just isn't as good as even a low end Canon HD camcorder, so I really didn't know that the phones couldn't seamlessly continue to record video after it exceeds the 4GB size.

Maybe there is an app available, but you have to see if quality is downgraded or if issues arise with the cpu or something. I would recommend a dedicated camcorder if you need such long recordings, but if that's not an option for you, then maybe an app is available for it. Good luck!

GuccizBud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
> Tssk tssk!
> We all knew THAT.....*

Hahaha ? we are prone, myself included, to overlook the forest because of all the damn trees in the way ? I'm aware it isn't as immediately obvious as I implied. ;)

The limit's implications extend even further :  plug a device's FAT32 microSD card into a desktop, select a bunch of video files on the desktop whose collective size exceeds the 4 GiB ( 4,294,967,296 bytes ) limit, and try moving them to the card. The process will run until 4 GiB have been transferred? and then just hang there. You won't even get an error message, because it's not an OS error, it's a fundamental base level error, so to speak?the fact you're asking 32-bit architectures to understand and deal with a number larger than it can in terms of integers, memory addresses? any and all data units.

aquaculture01

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

There should be a way to get around the recording limit, that is just ridiculous to spend money on another device when the phone you have also does a wonderful job taking HD video. Stick with it man! But be sure you have the dedicated space available as GB was explaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34