Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So, let me explain everything.I never noticed this before hence I don't record for a long time, but this really gets me.I wanted to record with the camera for about 3 hours straight, but the camera stopped recording when the video reached 4GB and said something like "maximum video size reached"(or maybe it's different, i dunno, it was something like this anyway).I wanted to format the MicroSD card in NTFS or exFat to try and see if it keeps recording after it reaches 4GB, but I don't have a Goddamn card reader.So, I thought "I will download a movie that is well over 4GB and see if it goes in the Internal Memory".You guess it, I could copy the movie in the Internal Memory.So, there is no such as thing as 4GB limit for the Internal Memory, only for my MicroSD card since it's formated in FAT32.Does ANYONE has any idea why the **** would the camera stop recording after the video's size reaches 4GB? Why is this happening? It doesn't matter if I record in 1080p, 720p or any other resolution.Whenever the video reaches 4GB it stops recording telling me that the maximum video size has been reached, yet it can take a file that has a size over 4GB.Is the camera app ****ed up?

P.S I've tried this on my Galaxy S3 too, same ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

So, let me explain everything.I never noticed this before hence I don't record for a long time, but this really gets me.I wanted to record with the camera for about 3 hours straight, but the camera stopped recording when the video reached 4GB and said something like "maximum video size reached"(or maybe it's different, i dunno, it was something like this anyway).I wanted to format the MicroSD card in NTFS or exFat to try and see if it keeps recording after it reaches 4GB, but I don't have a Goddamn card reader.So, I thought "I will download a movie that is well over 4GB and see if it goes in the Internal Memory".You guess it, I could copy the movie in the Internal Memory.So, there is no such as thing as 4GB limit for the Internal Memory, only for my MicroSD card since it's formated in FAT32.Does ANYONE has any idea why the **** would the camera stop recording after the video's size reaches 4GB? Why is this happening? It doesn't matter if I record in 1080p, 720p or any other resolution.Whenever the video reaches 4GB it stops recording telling me that the maximum video size has been reached, yet it can take a file that has a size over 4GB.Is the camera app ****ed up?

P.S I've tried this on my Galaxy S3 too, same ****.

Highly doubting the camera app is messed up every thing has it's limits, these cameras are not made for long long long video recording to begin with they are still phones in the end.
It's just the way it is. Try other video recording apps to see if they have any limits set to them. You want to do long time video recording invest in a real dedicated camera for it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

The amount of time it can record has nothing to do with the amount of storage the phone has or how big of a file it can take.
Idk why they put a limit of 4GB, but like the above poster said, these phones aren't meant for recording extremely long videos like what you're trying to do.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

agnoslibertine

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

actually I still think this is a fat32 vs. NTFS kind of a thing... I think the phone basically can't handle bigger than 4gb files.. like PS3, or older computers..

let me ask you, did you manage the watch the movie that was bigger than 4gb?

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

As smart as these phones are they are not designed for long video recording. That said one suggestion put forward a different app may sort, or record in two parts a bit of editing (merging) and you will have your 4hrs dude :)

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

actually I still think this is a fat32 vs. NTFS kind of a thing... I think the phone basically can't handle bigger than 4gb files.. like PS3, or older computers..

Who says the PS3 can't handle files bigger than 4GB? :confused:

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I could watch that movie using MX Player, it was a BluRay Rip.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

My guess? Most users won't need more than 4 GB and ones that do could possibly be trying to video tape things in the theatre so to prevent things like this they set a limit.

Or they could have it set to that since most people won't need that much video and they think users may have left it on by accident.

Honestly it could be any number of reasons.. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Samsung and ask. Or you could maybe even try a 3rd party camera app from the Play store and it may bypass this restriction.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

jrisch

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Have you got the camera app set to save to the card automatically? Try changing the storage setting to device. FAT32 is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. You shouldn't have the same restriction on saving to the devices memory.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

My guess? Most users won't need more than 4 GB and ones that do could possibly be trying to video tape things in the theatre so to prevent things like this they set a limit.

Or they could have it set to that since most people won't need that much video and they think users may have left it on by accident.

Honestly it could be any number of reasons.. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Samsung and ask. Or you could maybe even try a 3rd party camera app from the Play store and it may bypass this restriction.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

The first is along the lines of what I was thinking. Under what other circumstances would you need to record for more than 3 hours non stop?

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

The first is along the lines of what I was thinking. Under what other circumstances would you need to record for more than 3 hours non stop?

Maybe he's recording his bedroom adventures.

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Have you got the camera app set to save to the card automatically? Try changing the storage setting to device. FAT32 is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. You shouldn't have the same restriction on saving to the devices memory.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

I'm always saving in device's memory...this happens no matter what.

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Maybe he's recording his bedroom adventures.

Cut that **** out! I wanted to set a camera to record all the night because I heard strange sounds in my house...

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Cut that **** out! I wanted to set a camera to record all the night because I heard strange sounds in my house...

Lol,Strange noises?...suuuuure lol. Can you take a joke?

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Lol,Strange noises?...suuuuure lol. Can you take a joke?

OK OK...maybe you were joking..but i'm NOT! Some strange bagings kept bothering me at night, now that i've discovered that my camera won't record for too long makes things even more nasty...

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

My take on this whole thing is that our smart phones are phones first. Yes, we want them to do lots of things but they do have their limits. The only way you're gonna have the surveillance camera effect is to get an actual camera since that's what they're meant for.

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

still think it is a fat32 vs. NTFS issue... :)

Yeah me too. I had a WD Passport Drive and I couldn't copy files bigger than 4GB onto it in Windows when the WD Passport was formatted in Fat32. NTSF solved that issue. I think exFat works as well. Haven't tried it with a memory card on the Note3 though.. I'll check it out and record 4K and see what happens.

duduscoke

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
OK, so I know I'm somewhat late, but I'm compelled to reply anyway.
First of all, just saying "why would you need to" or "phones aren't made for this" and even "we ask a lot, but there are just limits" doesn't help anyone including OP. OP feels, like me, that there isn't any good reason for the recording to stop at 4gb. Technically it would probably not be a problem to extend this period. For android to decide to just limit it just because no one would use it is just stupid. Just that you can't find any reason to record longer than an hour, doesn't mean there isn't any. And if it's a one time thing, it would be a waste of money to buy a dedicated video system for it.
To agnoslibertine: did you even read the ******* post? He did try to place a 4gb+ file which worked. So it isn't the fat thing either. Technically.

However, reading the instructions behind the link in the post above mine, it seems that the video recorder would just crash when it would reach the max file system file size. Android probably limited the file size to prevent this, even though you might use NTFS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae