Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    So, let me explain everything.I never noticed this before hence I don't record for a long time, but this really gets me.I wanted to record with the camera for about 3 hours straight, but the camera stopped recording when the video reached 4GB and said something like "maximum video size reached"(or maybe it's different, i dunno, it was something like this anyway).I wanted to format the MicroSD card in NTFS or exFat to try and see if it keeps recording after it reaches 4GB, but I don't have a Goddamn card reader.So, I thought "I will download a movie that is well over 4GB and see if it goes in the Internal Memory".You guess it, I could copy the movie in the Internal Memory.So, there is no such as thing as 4GB limit for the Internal Memory, only for my MicroSD card since it's formated in FAT32.Does ANYONE has any idea why the **** would the camera stop recording after the video's size reaches 4GB? Why is this happening? It doesn't matter if I record in 1080p, 720p or any other resolution.Whenever the video reaches 4GB it stops recording telling me that the maximum video size has been reached, yet it can take a file that has a size over 4GB.Is the camera app ****ed up?

    P.S I've tried this on my Galaxy S3 too, same ****.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-09-2014 at 02:36 PM.
  2. #2  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rom

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaba517 View Post
    So, let me explain everything.I never noticed this before hence I don't record for a long time, but this really gets me.I wanted to record with the camera for about 3 hours straight, but the camera stopped recording when the video reached 4GB and said something like "maximum video size reached"(or maybe it's different, i dunno, it was something like this anyway).I wanted to format the MicroSD card in NTFS or exFat to try and see if it keeps recording after it reaches 4GB, but I don't have a Goddamn card reader.So, I thought "I will download a movie that is well over 4GB and see if it goes in the Internal Memory".You guess it, I could copy the movie in the Internal Memory.So, there is no such as thing as 4GB limit for the Internal Memory, only for my MicroSD card since it's formated in FAT32.Does ANYONE has any idea why the **** would the camera stop recording after the video's size reaches 4GB? Why is this happening? It doesn't matter if I record in 1080p, 720p or any other resolution.Whenever the video reaches 4GB it stops recording telling me that the maximum video size has been reached, yet it can take a file that has a size over 4GB.Is the camera app ****ed up?

    P.S I've tried this on my Galaxy S3 too, same ****.
    Highly doubting the camera app is messed up every thing has it's limits, these cameras are not made for long long long video recording to begin with they are still phones in the end.
    It's just the way it is. Try other video recording apps to see if they have any limits set to them. You want to do long time video recording invest in a real dedicated camera for it.
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  3. #3  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,646 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    The amount of time it can record has nothing to do with the amount of storage the phone has or how big of a file it can take.
    Idk why they put a limit of 4GB, but like the above poster said, these phones aren't meant for recording extremely long videos like what you're trying to do.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    VDub2174 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    actually I still think this is a fat32 vs. NTFS kind of a thing... I think the phone basically can't handle bigger than 4gb files.. like PS3, or older computers..

    let me ask you, did you manage the watch the movie that was bigger than 4gb?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    As smart as these phones are they are not designed for long video recording. That said one suggestion put forward a different app may sort, or record in two parts a bit of editing (merging) and you will have your 4hrs dude :-)

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,646 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by agnoslibertine View Post
    actually I still think this is a fat32 vs. NTFS kind of a thing... I think the phone basically can't handle bigger than 4gb files.. like PS3, or older computers..

    let me ask you, did you manage the watch the movie that was bigger than 4gb?
    Who says the PS3 can't handle files bigger than 4GB?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by agnoslibertine View Post
    actually I still think this is a fat32 vs. NTFS kind of a thing... I think the phone basically can't handle bigger than 4gb files.. like PS3, or older computers..

    let me ask you, did you manage the watch the movie that was bigger than 4gb?
    I could watch that movie using MX Player, it was a BluRay Rip.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    My guess? Most users won't need more than 4 GB and ones that do could possibly be trying to video tape things in the theatre so to prevent things like this they set a limit.

    Or they could have it set to that since most people won't need that much video and they think users may have left it on by accident.

    Honestly it could be any number of reasons.. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Samsung and ask. Or you could maybe even try a 3rd party camera app from the Play store and it may bypass this restriction.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  9. #9  
    jrisch's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Have you got the camera app set to save to the card automatically? Try changing the storage setting to device. FAT32 is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. You shouldn't have the same restriction on saving to the devices memory.


    Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,646 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    My guess? Most users won't need more than 4 GB and ones that do could possibly be trying to video tape things in the theatre so to prevent things like this they set a limit.

    Or they could have it set to that since most people won't need that much video and they think users may have left it on by accident.

    Honestly it could be any number of reasons.. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Samsung and ask. Or you could maybe even try a 3rd party camera app from the Play store and it may bypass this restriction.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    The first is along the lines of what I was thinking. Under what other circumstances would you need to record for more than 3 hours non stop?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The first is along the lines of what I was thinking. Under what other circumstances would you need to record for more than 3 hours non stop?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Maybe he's recording his bedroom adventures.

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrisch View Post
    Have you got the camera app set to save to the card automatically? Try changing the storage setting to device. FAT32 is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. You shouldn't have the same restriction on saving to the devices memory.


    Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app
    I'm always saving in device's memory...this happens no matter what.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    Maybe he's recording his bedroom adventures.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Cut that **** out! I wanted to set a camera to record all the night because I heard strange sounds in my house...

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaba517 View Post
    Cut that **** out! I wanted to set a camera to record all the night because I heard strange sounds in my house...

    Posted via Android Central App
    Lol,Strange noises?...suuuuure lol. Can you take a joke?

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    Lol,Strange noises?...suuuuure lol. Can you take a joke?

    Posted via Android Central App
    OK OK...maybe you were joking..but i'm NOT! Some strange bagings kept bothering me at night, now that i've discovered that my camera won't record for too long makes things even more nasty...

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    My take on this whole thing is that our smart phones are phones first. Yes, we want them to do lots of things but they do have their limits. The only way you're gonna have the surveillance camera effect is to get an actual camera since that's what they're meant for.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    still think it is a fat32 vs. NTFS issue...
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by agnoslibertine View Post
    still think it is a fat32 vs. NTFS issue...
    Yeah me too. I had a WD Passport Drive and I couldn't copy files bigger than 4GB onto it in Windows when the WD Passport was formatted in Fat32. NTSF solved that issue. I think exFat works as well. Haven't tried it with a memory card on the Note3 though.. I'll check it out and record 4K and see what happens.
  19. #19  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rom

    Default Re: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    [MOD] [N900] [ROOT] Camera "Smooth motion" extended record time. Update 12.11.2013 - xda-developers

    It's a Camera app thing AND NTFS/Fat thing but here are some files to help you destroy the limit..
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    OK, so I know I'm somewhat late, but I'm compelled to reply anyway.
    First of all, just saying "why would you need to" or "phones aren't made for this" and even "we ask a lot, but there are just limits" doesn't help anyone including OP. OP feels, like me, that there isn't any good reason for the recording to stop at 4gb. Technically it would probably not be a problem to extend this period. For android to decide to just limit it just because no one would use it is just stupid. Just that you can't find any reason to record longer than an hour, doesn't mean there isn't any. And if it's a one time thing, it would be a waste of money to buy a dedicated video system for it.
    To agnoslibertine: did you even read the ******* post? He did try to place a 4gb+ file which worked. So it isn't the fat thing either. Technically.

    However, reading the instructions behind the link in the post above mine, it seems that the video recorder would just crash when it would reach the max file system file size. Android probably limited the file size to prevent this, even though you might use NTFS.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    “Why do you need that”, “people don't need that much”, “everything has its limits” ?! Are you all sh*tting me ? Holy oversight, Batman—not one of you jokers knows that the 4 GB limit comes about because it is 2 raised to the 32nd power ( 2³² ) and these are all… you know… THIRTY-TWO BIT DEVICES ?!? Jesus wept. ;^>
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Tssk tssk!
    We all knew THAT.....

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    Ok so we know we can't record a video bigger than 4gb (or over 1 hour in my experience) but is there an app out there that will start another video recording automatically after the first one has reached its limit? The videos could then be joined together afterwards.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    FAT32 does have a limit of 4GB. The phone is written to work with the most common configuration.

    Most removable flash drives are formatted using fat32. So the limit is by design to not break the most common setup.

    The newer notes can use evFat formatted sd cards, but that isn't required to work.

    Pretty much all sd cards 32GB and below are sent out pre formatted as fat32

    Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Note 3: Camera won't make a video bigger than 4GB?

    This also happens with actual camcorders when they record AVCHD or MP4 videos. Only difference is that with actual camcorders, the camcorder will continue to record the video seamlessly, you just have to merge the 4GB videos after on a computer... it's not unique to the Note 3, just merge the videos on a computer after you record everything you need
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon Galaxy Note 2 won't turn on
    By Suey Chu in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 07:19 AM
  3. Samsung Galaxy S3 won't start or enter recovery mode
    By gulic in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 12:11 PM
  4. Need help with video calls between the Galaxy S Blaze and an iPhone
    By androidfan4000 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 11:21 AM
  5. Autocorrect deletes words rather than replacing them
    By kyyadifan in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Posting Permissions