Note 3: Battery power dropping fast overnight

assood

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I charged my phone before midnight last night, by the time I slept it was at 80%ish and woke up to find it at around 25% (the WiFi was off all night), currently at 12 noon it is around 15%. I am having this problem for a few weeks now and this wasn't the same for me, at least when I first bought it last October when I had to charge it once a day. I use the phone for mostly whatsapp, facebook and listenning to music but non of the apps show that they are using the battery heavilly except the OS, I'm not sure what causing the OS to drop that much power. Please help.

YNzsq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery power dropping fast overnight

When was the last time you rebooted the phone?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

assood

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Hi z06mike I rebooted the night before I charged the phone. Does rebooting the phone affect the battery consumption? (I assume starting with a fresh RAM after reboot saves power).

I tried to turn off Location Services from the Phone's settings and I started to see a little change. this night it only droped from 89% to 70% in about 8 hours idle.

Thanks

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site

@Assood

Download an app called Wake lock detector here. Let it run for a day after a full charge then when you see the drop in battery go to the app and look under the wakeup triggers. You will see which app is burning your battery.

Watch out the video on the app site, it will help you understand how to play with it.

Good luck

assood

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Yathani, I have just downloaded it and will let it run for about a day then report to you here later.

assood

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Thanks thegame161, I have downloade battery doctor, unfortunately it doesn't give much more information about which app is draining my battery compared to the running apps list that can be found in the phone's settings.

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Yeah this has happened to me a few times. The problem will last only a day or so. For me the longest this persisted was a day. It is a problem with a certain wake lock keeping your phone from going into deep sleep. It will go away most likely on its own but you could try restarting your phone and see how that goes.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Hi z06mike I rebooted the night before I charged the phone. Does rebooting the phone affect the battery consumption? (I assume starting with a fresh RAM after reboot saves power).

I tried to turn off Location Services from the Phone's settings and I started to see a little change. this night it only droped from 89% to 70% in about 8 hours idle.

Thanks

A reboot can clear out any rogue apps that are draining battery.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I've had my phone for two months and very happy with it. I always go to bed with my phone fully charged. I go off the grid, terminate all tasks, and then set my Alarm Clock Extreme. After about eight hours of sleep, I turn the phone on, and the battery shows 96-97% full. App Mobie runs in the background and sometimes indicates an unusual battery drain, never sure due to what, but with 96%, it didn't worry me much. But, this morning, I woke up and my phone had shut off, battery at 7%. (This is the second time that it happened in the exactly same way.) Having run GSam Battery monitor, the battery was almost full at 3:35am and then precipitously discharged by 8:10am. The only thing I could think of was that my Sense Time/Weather widget was stuck when I went to bed. According to Mobie, that widget consumed 80% of the battery power in the last 24 hours. I last rebooted the phone less than 24 hours ago bc it couldn't connect to the network inside the store.

Any suggestions, guys?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Well, you wrote this " The only thing I could think of was that my Sense Time/Weather widget was stuck when I went to bed. According to Mobie, that widget consumed 80% of the battery power in the last 24 hours. I last rebooted the phone less than 24 hours ago bc it couldn't connect to the network inside the store."

Sounds to me like that's the roque app - which is the one I'd get rid of!

No single app should eat 80% of battery over 24 hours...

Also, Gsam Battery monitor is a great app for determining root causes of things like this...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Something is weird with my note 3 too. Android os is eating 50%

uploadfromtaptalk1393860915162.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393860950367.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Gsam, note I did restart my phone a few hours before this.

uploadfromtaptalk1393861078906.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393861108716.jpg

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Hadn't changed anything last night, and this morning the battery was at 97%, but Mobie again reported an unusual battery drain. This is so odd that out of the last 60 days, the battery got completely discharged overnight exactly twice, with no change in the routine. Is there any app that could tell what ran within a specific time period?

jakedsnake

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its the temperature? I've taken big hits to my battery when my phone was on top of my electric blanket during sleep. But keeping the phone in a regular temp place overnight left me with little battery drain.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Higher Temps will cause the battery to drain faster

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members