Is this overkill?? (128GB SD card) Now even cheaper!

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I told myself I wouldn't buy another Sandisk, but I wanted to out-geek some of my geeky friends.....

World's highest capacity card for Android tablets and smartphones
Twice the speed of ordinary cards
File transfer speeds up to 30MB/s
Lifetime warranty (US: Lifetime limited warranty)
Records up to 128GB of Full HD video
Highest capacity, twice the speed
Water-proof, temperature proof, X-ray proof, magnet proof, shock proof

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSDQUA-128G-G46A): Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is this overkill??

Note 3 doesn't support it. The S5 does

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

I'm wondering if the Kit Kat update will fix that. I'm also in the market for a new tablet, so if I don't get to use this on my Note 3, then I'm sure I'll find something to use it with.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

The note 3 will probably be able to read it fine. They also said my old now one wouldn't support the 64GB one and it did fine.

Once you get to the Note 3 and S4 they are designed with sdxc in mind. That is the standard to be concerned about. Now will it be over kill really depends on your use case. For most it probably would be.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

The note 3 will probably be able to read it fine. They also said my old now one wouldn't support the 64GB one and it did fine.

Once you get to the Note 3 and S4 they are designed with sdxc in mind. That is the standard to be concerned about. Now will it be over kill really depends on your use case. For most it probably would be.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

I figure it would be nice for shooting in 4K, of course then I'll probably need a 4K TV, and then I'll probably need a nicer place to put that 4K TV, sigh then I'll need to find me a better paying job.........ugh maybe I don't need 128GB......

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Good and bad.

Good
Shooting 4k is actually a ok idea because better source material means better video after editing.

Bad
The Note 3 can only record in short clips so that may end up being a pain.

My impression on having a large card like this was always for large media content you want to take with you. My example would be if you had a video that was 1080p and encoded at a bitrate of like 10mbps. That would be a fairly large file. In the realm of 10-15GB. It wouldn't take many of those to fill up even a 128GB card.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Good and bad.

Good
Shooting 4k is actually a ok idea because better source material means better video after editing.

Bad
The Note 3 can only record in short clips so that may end up being a pain.

My impression on having a large card like this was always for large media content you want to take with you. My example would be if you had a video that was 1080p and encoded at a bitrate of like 10mbps. That would be a fairly large file. In the realm of 10-15GB. It wouldn't take many of those to fill up even a 128GB card.

24 hours is what they're claiming

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

All based on resolution and bitrate though.

I did a quick test with my Note 3 and a 2min 43 second video was .91GB. This was recorded in 4k mode. After doing some math that translates to just under 3 hours on my 64GB sandisk ultra card. This can really depend on the content to.

Being someone that has worked allot with content at home, it drives me crazy when companies make comments like that..

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

All based on resolution and bitrate though.

I did a quick test with my Note 3 and a 2min 43 second video was .91GB. This was recorded in 4k mode. After doing some math that translates to just under 3 hours on my 64GB sandisk ultra card. This can really depend on the content to.

Being someone that has worked allot with content at home, it drives me crazy when companies make comments like that..

Looks good for advertising...

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

It depends how much music you have :p

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I love it! I want it! Is it overkill, probably. Will the Note 3 read it, probably. But the bad I've incountered, the photo machines at Walmart or Walgreens won't recognize anything over 16gb. Not a big deal, but I have to either 1. Order prints from home.
2. Put them on a thumb drive.
Possibility that other third party machines won't read it either. Again, not the end of the world. But in our fast technology world we want it now. Lol

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

It depends how much music you have :p

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

I've already come close to maxing out my 32GB with just a couple of 720p movies and I'm not sure if it's the card or the phone (secretly hoping it's the card), but from time to time I get some artifacts on the video.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I love it! I want it! Is it overkill, probably. Will the Note 3 read it, probably. But the bad I've incountered, the photo machines at Walmart or Walgreens won't recognize anything over 16gb. Not a big deal, but I have to either 1. Order prints from home.
2. Put them on a thumb drive.
Possibility that other third party machines won't read it either. Again, not the end of the world. But in our fast technology world we want it now. Lol

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

My local sams club has a way to print via Bluetooth connection. It's rather slick.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

My local sams club has a way to print via Bluetooth connection. It's rather slick.

Very cool. I feel that's the way to go. Bluetooth...

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Very cool. I feel that's the way to go. Bluetooth...

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! ������

Initially you think it would be like a car rental, where your bluetooth information stays and thus is out there for everyone else that rents that car, but the kiosk seems secure enough, and once you remove the kiosk from your phone, you shouldn't have any issues.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Are they claiming 24 hours of 4k video? I thought that the claim was 24 hours of hd video, which is certainly possible at hd or even fHD.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Are they claiming 24 hours of 4k video? I thought that the claim was 24 hours of hd video, which is certainly possible at hd or even fHD.

That is actually more reasonable then I originally thought. A bit rate of 12mbps would put it right at 24 hours give or take a little bit. Most of my home recordings for 1080i video is around 13 so isn't bad, and even longer with VBR encoding.That still only translates to 11-12 movies give or take based on how close they are to 2 hours each.

Probably great for kids video's because animation compresses great. It is probably possible to get 20-30 kids shows on one of those bad boys..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad