Root or Not Root?

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Tmo note 3 that I want to root, but the question is, after the kit kat upgrade will still rooted? will I receive the update? Is it worth it or not? Benefits from been rooted?
Best Regards

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
If you root now and you accept the kitkat OTA then that will break root. You can then Re-Root after the update and start flashing the rom of your liking. But it all depends on what you want to do?

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you root now and you accept the kitkat OTA then that will break root. You can then Re-Root after the update and start flashing the rom of your liking. But it all depends on what you want to do?

They don't even let modified devices grab the OTA.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1393435487389.jpg
    1393435487389.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 139

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Jezzz so I'm better wait for the ota and then root...
But lets say I do that, what can I dot with a rooted device that I can't do without rooting it??

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Jezzz so I'm better wait for the ota and then root...
But lets say I do that, what can I dot with a rooted device that I can't do without rooting it??

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Yes wait for the Update then root, it allows you to tweak various aspects of your device and you will then be able to flash custom roms & kernels. Basically customising it to your liking and Not manufacturers and or carriers.

tee86

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Lol, it sounds like "be or not to be " question :) and for this question is difficult answer too. I think that there's no reason to root. There will be official 4. 4. 2 update so why being hurry? If you'll root it what you'll have? Better Note? I don't think so. Just battery drain issues, warranty lost... I think that Note 3 is the perfect phone and there is no need to root! Yes I rooted my Evo 3D 2 years ago but it has got 768 MB RAM so I replaced stock ROM with ROM with better RAM management. It was root for a reason but here I see no reason. This phone is fast and stable... why to change it?

Sent from SM-N9005

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol, it sounds like "be or not to be " question :) and for this question is difficult answer too. I think that there's no reason to root. There will be official 4. 4. 2 update so why being hurry? If you'll root it what you'll have? Better Note? I don't think so. Just battery drain issues, warranty lost... I think that Note 3 is the perfect phone and there is no need to root! Yes I rooted my Evo 3D 2 years ago but it has got 768 MB RAM so I replaced stock ROM with ROM with better RAM management. It was root for a reason but here I see no reason. This phone is fast and stable... why to change it?

Sent from SM-N9005

Hey Mr Anti - Root yes points are valid bar battery drain and stability. I have tried various roms for my Note 3 not all perfect by any means but neither has had battery drain and only one out of 4 had any stability issues.

The one I'm referring to is Beanstalk where video playback was funky (framerate).

There are many many plus sides to rooting & Romming. I can say from experience that it does come with a few negatives. But in my opinion the positives outweigh the negatives.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from SM-N9005

I am rooted and have zero battery drain issues.....

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Sent from SM-N9005

Rooting allows for a lot more changes and some tweaks that even IMPROVE battery life over the stock ROM. Plus you can make full system backups and use apps that are root only, so yes, rooting can make the Note 3 better, no matter how good it already is.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

tee86

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
There are many many plus sides to rooting & Romming.

Listening... tell me few of them.

I'm not Mr Anti - Root. Just saying that it has no sense to me. It's like when in early 90' s most of my friends had 286's few luckers 386's... Now I'll be traveling in the time and I take my i7 PC with me and I will want to overclock it... wtf?! For what? To playing pacman... this makes me same sense like root Note 3 at this moment.

Sent from SM-N9005

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Listening... tell me few of them.

I'm not Mr Anti - Root. Just saying that it has no sense to me. It's like when in early 90' s most of my friends had 286's few luckers 386's... Now I'll be traveling in the time and I take my i7 PC with me and I will want to overclock it... wtf?! For what? To playing pacman... this makes me same sense like root Note 3 at this moment.

Sent from SM-N9005

Rooting is great if it helps you gain access to things you need. If you have everything you need without rooting, then of course it makes no sense to root. The answer to root or not is a personal one and won't apply to everyone across the board.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Rooting is great if it helps you gain access to things you need. If you have everything you need without rooting, then of course it makes no sense to root. The answer to root or not is a personal one and won't apply to everyone across the board.

+1 sorry just had to lol yup I do agree with this though :)

tee86

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Rooting allows for a lot more changes and some tweaks that even IMPROVE battery life over the stock ROM. Plus you can make full system backups and use apps that are root only, so yes, rooting can make the Note 3 better, no matter how good it already is.

Ehm, bro I know what rooting is. question is do I need full system backup if I don't change ROMs like a sox? Do I need root only apps? With Note 3 is an answer on both questions no I don't. I'm not newbie on android devices so I can truly say that yep root is perfect solution for most devices to help them out from issues which comes with stock ROM but I stand by my words for Note 3 it's not necessary. Why repair something what's not broken?

Sent from SM-N9005

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ehm, bro I know what rooting is. question is do I need full system backup if I don't change ROMs like a sox? Do I need root only apps? With Note 3 is an answer on both questions no I don't. I'm not newbie on android devices so I can truly say that yep root is perfect solution for most devices to help them out from issues which comes with stock ROM but I stand by my words for Note 3 it's not necessary. Why repair something what's not broken?

Sent from SM-N9005

Not necessary for you. I know I and a lot of others here aren't fond of TouchWiz, so that alone is reason enough to root and flash custom ROMs. My S4 worked fine and was not "broken" but I chose to do it anyway. Like mentioned above, it's not for everyone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from SM-N9005

Okay so you said it.. For you... You don't need root.

How do you know the OP doesn't need it? I root and think it's necessary for my needs.. But that's where we differ. If you don't need it that's fine but there are advantages to rooting for some people's needs. :)

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

How do you know the OP doesn't need it? I root and think it's necessary for my needs.. But that's where we differ. If you don't need it that's fine but there are advantages to rooting for some people's needs. :)

Rooting and flashing roms ain't for everyone. For some it simply is not required but for others that like to tinker with THEIR phone and optimise it beyond manufacture settings. Then yes it is required, and yes it does have its advantages.

tee86

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Not necessary for you. I know I and a lot of others here aren't fond of TouchWiz, so that alone is reason enough to root and flash custom ROMs. My S4 worked fine and was not "broken" but I chose to do it anyway. Like mentioned above, it's not for everyone.

TouchWiz? What's it? :) wanna tell that only way to change launcher is root? Hm. I saw TW only after first boot up.

Exactly. We all are individuals and everybody needs something different to happiness. I just would to know why is your phone better than mine or what you can do with your phone what I can't and how do you use that "root features " in usually day... It's really so helpful?

Sent from SM-N9005

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835