Note 3: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

BMWBig6

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 has worked great since purchased new a few months ago. But starting this week, it seems that while the proximity sensor (or software) to automatically turn the display off when the phone is pressed against my ear is working fine, when I remove the phone from my ear, the screen remains off (black) unless I manually press the center or side buttons. It used to work properly (instantly turn display back on) as soon as I removed the phone from my ear, and my wife's Note 3 works correctly too. But mine suddenly stopped doing this a couple days ago and the checkbox under Settings > Device > Call Settings > Turn off screen during calls "Turn on proximity sensor during calls" is checked. Unchecking it and checking it again makes no difference.

Is there a problem with my phone, or another related setting that I need to check too?

I am completely stock (not rooted).

Last edited by a moderator:

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

I have heard of dust or dirt getting into the sensor and that blowing or picking it out is the fix.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

My Note 3 has worked great since purchased new a few months ago. But starting this week, it seems that while the proximity sensor (or software) to automatically turn the display off when the phone is pressed against my ear is working fine, when I remove the phone from my ear, the screen remains off (black) unless I manually press the center or side buttons. It used to work properly (instantly turn display back on) as soon as I removed the phone from my ear, and my wife's Note 3 works correctly too. But mine suddenly stopped doing this a couple days ago and the checkbox under Settings > Device > Call Settings > Turn off screen during calls "Turn on proximity sensor during calls" is checked. Unchecking it and checking it again makes no difference.

Is there a problem with my phone, or another related setting that I need to check too?

Go to your dialer and type in *#0*#
Then click on the option for sensor and it will tell you how to test the proximity sensor.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site

Then click on the option for sensor and it will tell you how to test the proximity sensor.

I have never been able to get that key sequence to work. Do you have to be rooted?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site

I have heard of dust or dirt getting into the sensor and that blowing or picking it out is the fix.

I have had this happen a couple of times and just blowing hard into the earpiece(above SAMSUNG logo) has immediately fixed the problem.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I have never been able to get that key sequence to work. Do you have to be rooted?

No. Just tried it on my phone and it didn't work either :eek:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Had this same issue. I am on note number 3 (yes, third phone,) cpu-z in the play store will tell you about every sensor on the device. My third note 3 has been great. It is refurbished. You can blow dust out of the sensor. Not all sensors are sealed properly.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the power button while you're in a call? I've done this and it disables the sensor. You would have to press the button while on a call when the screen is turned on. This could happen if you move the phone slightly off angle and than press the power key.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I just checked the sensor using the test screen and as soon as I press the SENSOR button, the screen turns green and the phone starts vibrating. Is my sensor blocked?

I'm having the issue that the second I press the button to start dialing, the screen goes blank as if I've already placed the phone up to my face.

BMWBig6

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

Omg, the compressed air in the ear speaker hole did the trick. It took a couple blasts but eventually proximity function was restored. I think this is a bad design though and will just keep happening again and again. I don't use a screen protector btw. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm happy my Note is working again!

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

hey..on cpu-z, does your proximity sensor reading vary by distance that your hand (for example) is near the sensor? e.g. my reading reads 0 (when I cover the sensor after blowing out with air), but it won't show any other distance as I move my hand near / far ... I have the sensor issue when using my phone app ... should I see a variable reading out of the sensor value in cpu-z? thx.

edit: when my reading is blank, I cover the sensor and the reading shows as 0 cm . but then nothing else I do changes the reading either back to blank or any other value .. sound like it's not working?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

hey..on cpu-z, does your proximity sensor reading vary by distance that your hand (for example) is near the sensor? e.g. my reading reads 0 (when I cover the sensor after blowing out with air), but it won't show any other distance as I move my hand near / far ... I have the sensor issue when using my phone app ... should I see a variable reading out of the sensor value in cpu-z? thx.

edit: when my reading is blank, I cover the sensor and the reading shows as 0 cm . but then nothing else I do changes the reading either back to blank or any other value .. sound like it's not working?

It should read 0 then 8 for a working reading. 0 it is sensing something static, and at 8, it is not.

Baier

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

None of these worked for me. The only thing that worked for now is "SETTINGS-MY DEVICE-SMART SCREEN-SMART STAY". The phone will stay on as long as you are looking at it.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same issue... I took it to an att store which also is a device support center... they told me that if u got it on launch day (which I did) then it's probably a bad batch.. they swapped it out and I was on my way in about 15 mins...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm just not happy about having to do a full backup, hard reset (which Verizon asked me to do as a last step), then they FedEx me a new one, I have to switch everything over, etc.. I suppose I have to make a guide for this to be sure I get everything. But, I would like it to work...

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

howdidoo

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
There are already few threads on this issue.. The blowing air works for a while and again stops working.. I had to get the module changed at Samsung while under warranty.

twarden1

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My Note 3 is NOT going black while on a call, causing my cheek to mute, hang up, turn on the speaker, activate other apps, etc. It's driving me bonkers! It just started doing this, and I've had the phone for a couple of months now. I tried blowing out the earholes, but no change. My Proximity test reads zeros across the board for the sensor. Do you think I need my phone serviced or replaced? :(

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I didnt know there was an option menu. I will look again
There was another thread on this
THIS service option is locked out of most carrier phones, Verizon for sure. *#0*# wont work.
Mine is factory but I didn't know how to understand the results. Thanks, I'll try later. S-PEN is still off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

dragonshadow

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

SOLUTION

PLEASE READ ADDED EDIT

I have a solution for this problem that I want to share as I came across it via searching several threads. This solution should fix any calibration issues with dust getting on the proximity sensor which causes your screen to not revert back and remain black when you are in a call and move the phone away from your ear. Before I get into the fix I want to also explain how to get the *#0*# code working. Some phones have this menu unlocked but it seems many carriers (like US Cellular) block this menu. If you dial that code from your dialer and nothing happens, then it is blocked and you will need to root your phone to gain access to not only the file you need to change to allow access to this menu, but the solution as well.

Here are the exact steps for both problems:

NOTE: I do not assume responsibility for any actions taken. If you do these solutions then you assume full responsibility for any damages, voiding of warranty, or any other problems that may arise.

Problem 1: *#0*# does not bring up the LCD Test Menu (where you can look at the Sensor function and test your phone as well as get values and an idea for how dirty the sensor is)
Solution: As mentioned, your phone must be rooted. You will need a file browser, I recommend Root Explorer but I am sure there are other options that will work just fine. You need to navigate to the following location and file /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu . Open this file and change the only value there from OFF to ON. Save the file and restart your phone, the *#0*# code should work now. If it does not make sure the file saved the ON change, if it is showing OFF still then the menu is disabled for you.

Problem 2: Your phone remains on a black screen, during a call, when you move the headset away from your ear. This is more than likely due to dust particles that got onto the Proximity Sensor that is located in the earpiece above the Samsung logo of your phone. Do not use a can of compressed air or blow on it. It may clear it up but you risk damaging the phone by doing so.
Solution: Re-calibrate your Proximity Sensor to make up for the dust throwing it off. Follow this thread for the exact step by step actions:
Samsung Galaxy note 3 proximity sensor issue Fix
Make sure that you use a good terminal program as the first one I downloaded did not work for me. Also make sure to take your time entering the command lines as a misplaced space or typo can cause issues. To be safe, I recorded the original values myself and I am glad I did as the hexadecimal conversion did not takr the first time and I got a bloated stored value. I redid the process and now my phone is perfectly re-calibrated and working smoothly. I take no credit for either fix, I am simply sharing what I found after a very frustrating day of searching and trial and error. My hat is off to the man in the above post and to the community at large for sharing.

Edit: The Kit-Kat update adds a new feature that detects changes to the phone, the Knox Counter, and this is separate from the counter people are used to resetting maybe with something like Triangle Away. Tripping this counter will void your warranty and methods of rooting without tripping the Knox Counter sound a bit tricky and not proven from what I have read. Just threads of people proclaiming a means but with nothing concrete for follow-up. Triangle Away does not currently remove/reset the counter and once tripped there appears to be no way to reset it as of yet. I mention the root method only for ppl not worried about the counter or to whom it may not apply (i.e. you voided your warranty already or for some reason are not covered). I was unaware of the new Knox counter in Kit-Kat and I am lucky that the service center let it slide. The solution still works but I agree with those saying to send it under warranty if you can before considering voiding it.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

There is a post on XDA about this very fix (it was done there first I believe) and it does work for a period of time. Problem is, you need to do this every time the amount or location of dust changes. It is not a permanent fix, just a bandaid. I would still recommend folks take full advantage of the one year warranty and get a device with a properly sealed sensor. I am on my third note, and it is working perfectly I'm regards to the proximity sensor. I am glad it was a warranty issue and I was not on the hook to fix it myself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac