Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BMWBig6
  • 1 Post By Johnly
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Note 3: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    My Note 3 has worked great since purchased new a few months ago. But starting this week, it seems that while the proximity sensor (or software) to automatically turn the display off when the phone is pressed against my ear is working fine, when I remove the phone from my ear, the screen remains off (black) unless I manually press the center or side buttons. It used to work properly (instantly turn display back on) as soon as I removed the phone from my ear, and my wife's Note 3 works correctly too. But mine suddenly stopped doing this a couple days ago and the checkbox under Settings > Device > Call Settings > Turn off screen during calls "Turn on proximity sensor during calls" is checked. Unchecking it and checking it again makes no difference.

    Is there a problem with my phone, or another related setting that I need to check too?

    I am completely stock (not rooted).
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-27-2014 at 09:09 PM.
  2. #2  
    JimSmith94's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    I have heard of dust or dirt getting into the sensor and that blowing or picking it out is the fix.
  3. #3  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,458 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
    My Note 3 has worked great since purchased new a few months ago. But starting this week, it seems that while the proximity sensor (or software) to automatically turn the display off when the phone is pressed against my ear is working fine, when I remove the phone from my ear, the screen remains off (black) unless I manually press the center or side buttons. It used to work properly (instantly turn display back on) as soon as I removed the phone from my ear, and my wife's Note 3 works correctly too. But mine suddenly stopped doing this a couple days ago and the checkbox under Settings > Device > Call Settings > Turn off screen during calls "Turn on proximity sensor during calls" is checked. Unchecking it and checking it again makes no difference.

    Is there a problem with my phone, or another related setting that I need to check too?

    I am completely stock (not rooted).
    Go to your dialer and type in *#0*#
    Then click on the option for sensor and it will tell you how to test the proximity sensor.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Go to your dialer and type in *#0*#
    Then click on the option for sensor and it will tell you how to test the proximity sensor.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    I have never been able to get that key sequence to work. Do you have to be rooted?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
    I have heard of dust or dirt getting into the sensor and that blowing or picking it out is the fix.
    I have had this happen a couple of times and just blowing hard into the earpiece(above SAMSUNG logo) has immediately fixed the problem.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,458 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by thebear View Post
    I have never been able to get that key sequence to work. Do you have to be rooted?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    No. Just tried it on my phone and it didn't work either

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  7. #7  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,354 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
    My Note 3 has worked great since purchased new a few months ago. But starting this week, it seems that while the proximity sensor (or software) to automatically turn the display off when the phone is pressed against my ear is working fine, when I remove the phone from my ear, the screen remains off (black) unless I manually press the center or side buttons. It used to work properly (instantly turn display back on) as soon as I removed the phone from my ear, and my wife's Note 3 works correctly too. But mine suddenly stopped doing this a couple days ago and the checkbox under Settings > Device > Call Settings > Turn off screen during calls "Turn on proximity sensor during calls" is checked. Unchecking it and checking it again makes no difference.

    Is there a problem with my phone, or another related setting that I need to check too?

    I am completely stock (not rooted).
    Had this same issue. I am on note number 3 (yes, third phone,) cpu-z in the play store will tell you about every sensor on the device. My third note 3 has been great. It is refurbished. You can blow dust out of the sensor. Not all sensors are sealed properly.
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the power button while you're in a call? I've done this and it disables the sensor. You would have to press the button while on a call when the screen is turned on. This could happen if you move the phone slightly off angle and than press the power key.

    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    I just checked the sensor using the test screen and as soon as I press the SENSOR button, the screen turns green and the phone starts vibrating. Is my sensor blocked?

    I'm having the issue that the second I press the button to start dialing, the screen goes blank as if I've already placed the phone up to my face.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Omg, the compressed air in the ear speaker hole did the trick. It took a couple blasts but eventually proximity function was restored. I think this is a bad design though and will just keep happening again and again. I don't use a screen protector btw. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm happy my Note is working again!
    Johnly and UJ95x like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    hey..on cpu-z, does your proximity sensor reading vary by distance that your hand (for example) is near the sensor? e.g. my reading reads 0 (when I cover the sensor after blowing out with air), but it won't show any other distance as I move my hand near / far ... I have the sensor issue when using my phone app ... should I see a variable reading out of the sensor value in cpu-z? thx.

    edit: when my reading is blank, I cover the sensor and the reading shows as 0 cm . but then nothing else I do changes the reading either back to blank or any other value .. sound like it's not working?
  12. #12  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,354 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by daves221 View Post
    hey..on cpu-z, does your proximity sensor reading vary by distance that your hand (for example) is near the sensor? e.g. my reading reads 0 (when I cover the sensor after blowing out with air), but it won't show any other distance as I move my hand near / far ... I have the sensor issue when using my phone app ... should I see a variable reading out of the sensor value in cpu-z? thx.

    edit: when my reading is blank, I cover the sensor and the reading shows as 0 cm . but then nothing else I do changes the reading either back to blank or any other value .. sound like it's not working?
    It should read 0 then 8 for a working reading. 0 it is sensing something static, and at 8, it is not.
    UJ95x likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

    None of these worked for me. The only thing that worked for now is "SETTINGS-MY DEVICE-SMART SCREEN-SMART STAY". The phone will stay on as long as you are looking at it.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Note 3: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymo

    I was having the same issue... I took it to an att store which also is a device support center... they told me that if u got it on launch day (which I did) then it's probably a bad batch.. they swapped it out and I was on my way in about 15 mins...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Note 3: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymo

    I'm just not happy about having to do a full backup, hard reset (which Verizon asked me to do as a last step), then they FedEx me a new one, I have to switch everything over, etc.. I suppose I have to make a guide for this to be sure I get everything. But, I would like it to work...

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Note 3: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymo

    There are already few threads on this issue.. The blowing air works for a while and again stops working.. I had to get the module changed at Samsung while under warranty.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Update my AT&T Galaxy S4 to KitKat. "Software Update Interrupted"
    By kingofk1ngs in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 03:48 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
  3. Difference between All New HTC One with and without the "HTC bar"
    By Eljazz in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 11:52 AM
  5. Phone keeps calling in pocket while 'shaking'
    By dzordzyk in forum T-Mobile HTC One
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

B