Is booting into Recovery and booting into Odin the same thing? Please help!

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
I was trying to root my Note 3 yesterday. I followed all directions and read through the instructions step by step before beginning. I was in the middle of flashing (I believe) when the power flickered. (Maybe trying this in the middle of a snow day wasn't the best idea). Anyway, I now have the "go to recovery mode in Kies" screen on my phone. I tried doing the recovery in Kies, as well as the emergency recovery, and neither worked, so I tried several of the instructions that say to flash a custom rom. Those go all the way through the steps and flash FAIL at the very last part. I'm not totally sure what to do. Upon trying the Kies one more time, I saw (again) where it said to boot into recovery. I double checked, and from what I understand, Recovery has several options that you can scroll through with the volume buttons, but Odin mode is, well .. Odin mode. Is this correct? Could the Kies recovery have not worked because I actually wasn't in recovery mode on my phone? If that's the case, how do I get to recovery mode? I've tried the button hold to reboot, and it either goes to the "go to recovery mode in Kies", or to the Odin. After trying the Kies recovery, a note pops up that says it had to stop recovery due to an error on my Note 3, so I figured maybe it needed to be in the recovery mode and not Odin. I found a site online that said I could download the ADB things for my computer to enter recovery mode using the command prompt, and that didn't work either - I can't get my computer to recognize the device. (It recognizes it initially, and says drivers are installed and ready to use, but about halfway through the ADB process, there is a step where I'm supposed to go to control panel and find my device and update drivers - I can't find it then).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was hoping that if I could figure out how to actually get my phone into recovery mode. Any suggestions would be so much appreciated. I'm a stay at home mom and this is my only phone (no landline), so I need a working phone! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
have you tried from the phone........volume up-home button and power button...to go to recovery mode to wipe data/factory rest?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to root my Note 3 yesterday. I followed all directions and read through the instructions step by step before beginning. I was in the middle of flashing (I believe) when the power flickered. (Maybe trying this in the middle of a snow day wasn't the best idea). Anyway, I now have the "go to recovery mode in Kies" screen on my phone. I tried doing the recovery in Kies, as well as the emergency recovery, and neither worked, so I tried several of the instructions that say to flash a custom rom. Those go all the way through the steps and flash FAIL at the very last part. I'm not totally sure what to do. Upon trying the Kies one more time, I saw (again) where it said to boot into recovery. I double checked, and from what I understand, Recovery has several options that you can scroll through with the volume buttons, but Odin mode is, well .. Odin mode. Is this correct? Could the Kies recovery have not worked because I actually wasn't in recovery mode on my phone? If that's the case, how do I get to recovery mode? I've tried the button hold to reboot, and it either goes to the "go to recovery mode in Kies", or to the Odin. After trying the Kies recovery, a note pops up that says it had to stop recovery due to an error on my Note 3, so I figured maybe it needed to be in the recovery mode and not Odin. I found a site online that said I could download the ADB things for my computer to enter recovery mode using the command prompt, and that didn't work either - I can't get my computer to recognize the device. (It recognizes it initially, and says drivers are installed and ready to use, but about halfway through the ADB process, there is a step where I'm supposed to go to control panel and find my device and update drivers - I can't find it then).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was hoping that if I could figure out how to actually get my phone into recovery mode. Any suggestions would be so much appreciated. I'm a stay at home mom and this is my only phone (no landline), so I need a working phone! Thanks in advance.

You can use Odin to try reflashing your stock ROM. That should get you back up and running.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-samsung-how-flash-stock-rom-via-odin.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
Thank you both very much. @Alain_A, yes, I have tried that - it just boots back into Odin mode no matter which volume button I push. If I push down, then it pops up the warning about continuing with root, and goes into Odin. When I push up, it goes into Odin with the warning: "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." I try that and the recovery stops because it says there is an error with my note 3.

Which brings me to @GoldDriver97, I've tried using the Odin to reflash my stock ROM. That's when it goes all the way through the process, then shows FAIL at the very end. I have been trying this on my husband's windows laptop, because it doesn't work on a Mac, right? (Odin, I mean.)

I will try it again, and write down specifically what happens, to see if anyone can recognize something I'm doing wrong. Again, I appreciate all the help!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both very much. @Alain_A, yes, I have tried that - it just boots back into Odin mode no matter which volume button I push. If I push down, then it pops up the warning about continuing with root, and goes into Odin. When I push up, it goes into Odin with the warning: "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." I try that and the recovery stops because it says there is an error with my note 3.

Which brings me to @GoldDriver97, I've tried using the Odin to reflash my stock ROM. That's when it goes all the way through the process, then shows FAIL at the very end. I have been trying this on my husband's windows laptop, because it doesn't work on a Mac, right? (Odin, I mean.)

I will try it again, and write down specifically what happens, to see if anyone can recognize something I'm doing wrong. Again, I appreciate all the help!

Well...Odin and Samsung do have a preference toward Windows. Can you borrow a windows PC and try again?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
You can get Heimdall for the Mac - does exactly the same thing Odin does, but on OSX.

Posted via Android Central App

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm slightly baffled by this one, can you get into download mode? Power> home> volume down? And then hit volume up, is this what you are referring to as odin mode?

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
I'm slightly baffled by this one, can you get into download mode? Power> home> volume down? And then hit volume up, is this what you are referring to as odin mode?

Yes, I can get into download mode. I thought there was a recovery mode as well? Accessed by power>home>volume up, where it then enters a menu to reset phone, and make other changes. My question was - is that (recovery) the mode I need my phone to be in in order for the Kies recovery to work? I can't get my phone into it at all. And I'm going to try to get a PC to try GolfDriver97s suggestion.

Thanks for answering!

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
To fully recover your phone you need to be in Odin. Stock recovery will only let you clear cache, do a factory reset or install a stock update.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
To fully recover your phone you need to be in Odin. Stock recovery will only let you clear cache, do a factory reset or install a stock update.

This is correct and maybe why your having difficulty.

Only custom recoveries will allow you to flash zip files.

So first you will need to root via booting into download mode and connecting to your PC.

Then root your device via odin and flash a custom recovery also via odin whilst your phone is in download mode.

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
This is correct and maybe why your having difficulty.

Only custom recoveries will allow you to flash zip files.

So first you will need to root via booting into download mode and connecting to your PC.

Then root your device via odin and flash a custom recovery also via odin whilst your phone is in download mode.

Thank you all for your help!

My next question is - what am I doing wrong? Ive done this several times in Odin, and it keeps flashing FAIL. That's why I thought I might have been in the wrong mode.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
How far does it get before it stops? What version of Odin are you using? Are the drivers installed correctly?

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
The very last time I did it it went all the way to the end - the progress bar in Odin, and the progress bar on my phone went all the way across. As it completed, then it flashed to Fail. I was using Odin 3.0.9 I believe (it's on my husband's computer and he's at work so I can't double check), and I believe the drivers were installed correctly. I installed them directly from the link provided, but I'm also willing to admit that that doesn't mean that I did it correctly!

How far does it get before it stops? What version of Odin are you using? Are the drivers installed correctly?

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Does it get to 100% and then fail? Have you tried to factory reset after using Odin?

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
The very last time I did it it went all the way to the end - the progress bar in Odin, and the progress bar on my phone went all the way across. As it completed, then it flashed to Fail. I was using Odin 3.0.9 I believe (it's on my husband's computer and he's at work so I can't double check), and I believe the drivers were installed correctly. I installed them directly from the link provided, but I'm also willing to admit that that doesn't mean that I did it correctly!

This is how I went about rooting and I believe it to be correct as I have extensively watched videos and reading oh and i'm rooted and running a custom rom.

I also used odin 3.0.9 so step by step.

1) Make sure you have the correct Cf - auto root for your variant.

2) well seeing that you have downloaded odin ill skip this. Oh make sure kies is installed which you have.

3) Enter Download mode power off and hold power> home>volume down. Then hit volume up. Connect to pc. Open odin, the status should be a light blue, and honestly can't remember the wording in the status Window but there should be something along the lines of ready.

4) place the file Cf - auto root in the box AP and make sure it's ticked. Then hit Start.

This should hopefully help you and it's the same process to flash a custom recovery. Also making sure you have the right recovery for your variant.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if your on 4.4.2 kitkat but if you are even after root it will appear not to have worked. I just downloaded super su from the play store to complete the process and then I had successful root access.

You must have that pass first though.

If your still on 4.3 you won't or shouldn't have to worry about the above issue.