Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3: Problems after KitKat update

Is anyone experiencing problems after the update?

After I updated my Note 3, Action Memo doesn't work at all anymore and SNote crashes after I save a note. Also, Double Twist can't access the SD card to save podcasts anymore, but I still can save my photos on the SD, just as before.

Is anyone having similar issues? I own an unlocked N9005.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Bren K 

Default Re: Problems after KitKat update

External Sd card handling is changed in kitkat. 3rd party Programs need to be updated to work again.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jellybean

Default Re: Note 3: Problems after KitKat update

My phone is all kinds of messed up after kitkat. I'm getting the battery drain and slow charger. A lot of freezing. It will not let me downgrade via Odin or root. My SD card is almost useless. I filed a warranty exchange.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

SD Card writing policies CHANGED in KitKat, so non-system apps only have read access to external SD Cards. They can only write media files (pictures, video, standard audio) and that's after a special change in their codes. Apps with full write access like File Explorers are now rendered half-useless if you want to use it to modify things in your SD card (only the stock File Manager would be allowed to do this).

NOT a bug, it is a conscious, yet unpopular, decision made by Google and it's a part of the core code in KitKat.

If you're rooted, you can change a single line of code in a permission file to restore write access to non-system apps. Samsung used to include this 'hack' with their builds (that's how they brought back App2SD, for instance) but it seems that with the KitKat update they either forgot or didn't want to include it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    SD Card writing policies CHANGED in KitKat, so non-system apps only have read access to external SD Cards.
    This is not completely true. I believe each app can also write to a single private directory on the SD card as well.

Still a dumb decision, but a little better.

ROM
    4.0.3 ICS Leak

Only bugs I've noticed is a slight increase in battery drain and when I play music the music lockscreen will freeze up sometimes when trying to pause a track or even unlock my device. Other than that it's pretty smooth.

All Google.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

My phone is pretty useless after the update: Action Memo crashes on startup, SNote crashes when I save a note, multiwindow doesn't work, battery is draining faster than before the update and I'm having issues with the GPS.

massive battery drain. I have less and less confidence in google's handling of the AOSP. It apparently coded defective camera access API causing apps to access camera in the background unnecessarily (may or may not be a tactic to undermine skype), which led to battery drain. And now "android system" consumes most battery.

Google, is it incompetent? or just become dirty?
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

I blame Samedung for their software problems. Samey is a horrible SW company and has no design sense (have you seen TouchWiz--it pisses on you if you touch it).

The Note 3 is nice HW (except for Knox), but the Samey SW really stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltypack View Post
    I blame Samedung for their software problems. Samey is a horrible SW company and has no design sense (have you seen TouchWiz--it pisses on you if you touch it).

The Note 3 is nice HW (except for Knox), but the Samey SW really stinks.
    100% disagree. I appreciate the functions very much. Another layer of privacy protection from google is just icing on the cake.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

I know you hate to do it, but if clearing cache doesn't fix your issues, bite the bullitt and factory reset, other than the changes to SD card permissions, kitkat for the majority of note 3 users has worked just fine, no missing apps, no lag, as good or slightly better battery life, better RAM management. Now, the camera bug is a possibility, I did seem to run into it once after shooting a short 4k video, but it was possibly google+ uploading it that caused my battery hit, but a restart fixed the issue for me

My problems are sygic maps cant access my sd card, action memo wont minimized.

Have you dropped a note to Sygic?

Sent via my Note 8
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

I'm having the same problem after the update on my Note 3. Action Memo saves are not saved, Map will no longer give me directions, Video playback on downloaded play store videos will not longer play but causes my device to reboot.