Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anon8154066
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3: Stock email app vs. Gmail app

Hi Folks - I've been trying to figure out how to either disable the stock eMail app (and thus rely instead on Google's GMail application for my email needs) and setting the GMail app to open email and notifications by default instead of the stock app that Samsung includes on the Note 3.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? It's a bit annoying getting new message notifications from both apps, and even moreso since I have 3 gmail accounts that I get notifications from, often at the same time as mail comes in.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-09-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Default Re: Stock email app vs. Gmail app

You don't need to use the stock email app. Just delete the email accounts from that one and you'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphill39 View Post
    You don't need to use the stock email app. Just delete the email accounts from that one and you'll be set.
    And to remove accounts head into settings> General> Accounts, click on the account you want to remove and there should be an option top right :-)

Posted via Android Central App
    boudicca00 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks folks. Just so I'm clear, you're talking about opening the stock Samsung email app, then hitting the menu key, going to settings,a nd deleting the accounts from there?

I'm asking 'cause I get a warning that this will delete contacts, calendars, etcetera, insinuating that the accounts here also represent system wide accounts. Is that not the case? Or will I need to re-add them to the GMAil app, or somewhere else entirely?

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions.

It won't be since you already have those emails in the Gmail app I'm assuming. That's why you're getting the double notifications. You won't lose anything. You can go to settings
    Note 3: Stock email app vs. Gmail app-uploadfromtaptalk1394396599748.jpg and there. I just wanted to use the screen write feature. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,291 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    Thanks folks. Just so I'm clear, you're talking about opening the stock Samsung email app, then hitting the menu key, going to settings,a nd deleting the accounts from there?

I'm asking 'cause I get a warning that this will delete contacts, calendars, etcetera, insinuating that the accounts here also represent system wide accounts. Is that not the case? Or will I need to re-add them to the GMAil app, or somewhere else entirely?

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions.
    It WILL remove your contacts and calendar appointments as well but, if they came from Gmail and the Samsung app, you probably would see them listed more than once in your contact list and calendar appointments anyway.

Go to your contact list and look at the groups to see if that's the case. It also depends on what you allowed the app to write to the contacts and calendar when you created the accounts in the Samsung app. It asks you when you setup the accounts.

You can remove contact groups in the contacts app, if you find double lists, or let the system remove it when you remove the e-mail account from the Samsung app. It will remove the contacts and calendar appts.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.

Default Re: Note 3: Stock email app vs. Gmail app

Hi guys - I did the above a while ago and it worked dandy. Actually ended up replacing all the stock Samsung Note 3 apps with their google equivilant.
    Problem I'm having now is that when I want to email a photo to someone, it tells me that there is no email installed - i.e., it wants me to re-enable the stock email system (very annoying).

How do I point android at the gmail system for email?

- Keith
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,291 Global Posts

Default Re: Note 3: Stock email app vs. Gmail app

If you select the photo in your Gallery App - and hit the Share icon, Gmail should be one of the options...

When I do this, I show 3 different e-mail apps, including Gmail, SMS, Whatsapp, and about 10 other apps I can use...
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.