128gb microSDXC card works on the Note 3!

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: 128gb microSDXC card works on the note 3!

Sure thing. One of the "Advantages" of being on Verizon is that more apps are updated before a version update is pushed, since Verizon usually is one of the last to update

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Sansung Galaxy S3

The problem though is once Verizon decides they want to update you, they force it down your throat. Oh and damn you for stealing my thunder!! I bet you saw my thread about it didn't you? I would've had the card by Friday, but alas I'm not home to play with it.....Damn you anyways!!! THUNDER STEALER!!! :p

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I only use an 8GB card, because that's enough for me...but was always curious as to the impact on battery with higher capacity cards. There's more work to be done indexing, searching etc...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO, when you load it up passed 64gb, that will be the proof that it works.

Filled to the brim! uploadfromtaptalk1394425252700.jpg

e2emy5e2.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
jytegete.jpg
buvejyzu.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1394429174673.jpg
arenetyb.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
4yju7yga.jpg
udyjezan.jpg
a2a8umat.jpg
umu4abaq.jpg
myma7u7e.jpg

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
What would lead you to believe it wouldn't when it works in the older Note 3?

{iRiidium} Technophile. 1 of 4 

I don't, just hope there are no issues from phone to tablet on the new software as some have said there have been issues with SD cards.

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Nice! although gonna have to wait for the prices to drop a bit as other brands get released. I snagged my 64GB for $22 ( genuine Sandisk Ultra) on a SD last fall so $120 for 128GB is a bit steep at the moment. That sure is nice for those who want to carry a lot of video with them - for me ~50GB of music and a few other things is plenty.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I ordered mine on 2/55 at 9:04 AM and it isn't coming until tomorrow. What time did you place your order?

5 Am PST. I also have Prime, so that might make a difference. I don't remember where it shipped from, maybe I am closer to the shipping center as well, so it is possible that I got it in one day.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Messed up = fixed a glaring security hole that allowed any app to write to any folder on an entire partition.

No, messed up is the correct term.

I'm not sure what security hole you think they fixed. Sure, a rogue app can now no longer delete all of the data on your sd card, but I just did a quick web search, and I couldn't find anyone who ever complained about that having happened to them. You would think if this problem was so glaring, someone would have run into it.

This was more about making uninstalls easier, and with Google biases against removable SD cards and much less to do with security.

Perhaps this was related to the glaring security hole they fixed when they blocked apps from battery use data or from turning on/off airplane mode. IMO, Google is making a fair number of changes related to "looking like its more secure, even if it doesn't change anything that needed changing."

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

No, messed up is the correct term.

I'm not sure what security hole you think they fixed. Sure, a rogue app can now no longer delete all of the data on your sd card, but I just did a quick web search, and I couldn't find anyone who ever complained about that having happened to them. You would think if this problem was so glaring, someone would have run into it.

This was more about making uninstalls easier, and with Google biases against removable SD cards and much less to do with security.

Perhaps this was related to the glaring security hole they fixed when they blocked apps from battery use data or from turning on/off airplane mode. IMO, Google is making a fair number of changes related to "looking like its more secure, even if it doesn't change anything that needed changing."

No, I meant exactly what I typed.

If you can't grasp why this was a problem, continue to cluck about the sky falling with the rest. People who can understand will continue to ignore you.

On the other hand, you can easily educate yourself about Linux user and group security via Google.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

No, I meant exactly what I typed.
If you can't grasp why this was a problem, continue to cluck about the sky falling with the rest. People who can understand will continue to ignore you.

Wow, that a pretty hostile email. I guess that's why the call you Cowboy.

I'm sure you meant what you typed. I'm also equally sure you didn't read what I responded, because I didn't say anything about the sky falling. I just said I thought it was a mistake.

On the other hand, you can easily educate yourself about Linux user and group security via Google.

Perhaps that's good advice for everyone. From the Google documentation about this change (bolding mine):
-----
The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions. Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled.
----

To me, that looks like they are making a change to make apps easier to uninstall. Which is what I said.

While it is very nice to make app easier to uninstall, restricting access to secondary external storage in this way seems like a very big hammer for a small amount of value. They could have accomplished the same thing by treating the SD card the same way they do internal storage. They could have divided it into a restricted area and virtual area that programs could share. That would have made it easy to uninstall programs without killing the shared space that people have been using for a while.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2