Note 3's Camera

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I am not saying the Note doesn't come up short in low light, but so does basically every other mobile phone on the market.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not true. My old Lumia 920 produced really incredible low-light images, and the 1020 is evidently even better (as it should be with 41mp + OIS). Don't get me wrong, I love my Note 3 and would never go back to a Lumia but the Note 3's camera definitely comes up short in some aspects compared to "some others" in the market. The camera may not be one of them, but this phone still has a very long list of very strong selling points regardless.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Not true. My old Lumia 920 produced really incredible low-light images, and the 1020 is evidently even better (as it should be with 41mp + OIS). Don't get me wrong, I love my Note 3 and would never go back to a Lumia but the Note 3's camera definitely comes up short in some aspects compared to "some others" in the market. The camera may not be one of them, but this phone still has a very long list of very strong selling points regardless.

Trust me I was blown away at some of the pics the lumia 1020 can take. If you read my post you'll notice I said BASICALLY every mobile phone.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
For the best low light performance, download Camera Zoom FX. I did some comparison shots between all three camera apps that I have including stock and posted the results in another older thread and it was the best at low light. The interface is a bit cartoonish but it beat out the more "professional" FV-5 by a hair (which surprised me) and wiped the floor with the stock app (which didn't surprise me one bit since the stock app is so bad with low light.) But I'd also get the FV-5 as well because it has a DSLR-like interface and you can do a lot more with changing the parameters if you need to just like with a DSLR and the quality is very good, even in low light (well, as good as one might hope for).

Posted via Android Central App

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

The 920 produced pictures with decent light in them. The image quality, however, was not great... Almost every review concluded the 920 produced soft images and sometimes struggled with focus. This is most apparent once you move the pictures off the phone to a machine with a bigger display. The HTC One also produces brighter images than a lot of phone, but its resolution affects the image quality as it cannot capture details as well as higher MP sensors.

The 1020's camera prowess is much greater because it has a HUGE fabulous sensor, glass lens, etc. and yes when you pixel bin images down from 41MP to 5MP the quality is going amazing (especially when a sensor that great is taking the images, they are still good even at 41 MP) - this is no different than resizing the Note's 13MP images down to 4MP - the quality in almost every scenario will still trump the HTC One's 4MP images, or the 8MP images from the iPhone when resized to a similar size there as well. Most tests have shows OIS in smartphones to not perform nearly as well as the hype would indicate (especially in video where software stabilization seems to yield consistently better results while still delivering smooth frame rates and avoiding frame drops/artifacts/distortions on phones like the Note 3) but I reckon the 1020's OIS is a bit better than the average smartphone. The 1020 is also a rather "slow shooter."

I noticed the iPhone [5S] does a lot of [aggressive] post processing and in low light which is clearly evident. Here is a crop from a low[er] light (but not dark, it was taken in a shopping mall) image taken on the iPhone 5S, and you can see the camera does some aggressive post processing which destroys a lot of detail in the image. If you're looking at it at a small size (like on the iPhone's screen) it looks fine, but it's clearly evident once you move the image to a real monitor and look at it at a larget size:

IMG_0045_2.png

Then there's the issue of the iPhone taking low light images with a yellow cast over the whole image (Samsung's phones tend to balance the colors much better), and oversaturating colors even in daylight images (Yellows and Greens tend to be pumped up quite a bit). The post-processing tends to kill details even in daylight, especially in long shots.

All phones have their drawbacks as well as their benefits. It's up to the user to do a proper review for themselves before purchasing the device and decide which is better suited for their needs. I suggest giving yourself a couple weeks to play with the phones and make a few visits to a couple carrier stores before making a purchase (to rule out display model issues). It's good to let the adrenaline and anticipation run its course so that you can actually move past the hype and evaluate the purchase choices based on how the phones actually perform for you and not necessarily what you read on a website or what someone else is peddling (humans often overstate things, overhype things, push what they think is best in their opinion, have their favorite/least favorite OEMs, etc.).

As someone who does Sports and use my phone a lot to take video, there's no way the Lumia devices or the iPhone can compete with the Note 3 for that. Not only can you do the 720p super slow Mo the iPhone does, but you can also do 1080p at 60 FPS, with some fantastic quality and much better focus tracking than the iPhone. Additionally, the sound recorded by the Note 3's speaker setup blows away almost every other device on the market.

Which phone has the better camera for you depends largely (though not always completely) on how you use the camera on your phone.

Last edited:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The number of megapixels doesn't automatically mean better results. In fact, oftentimes it doesn't, as in the case of the Note 3. If you don't address the size of the pixels and/or the density, you're likely to have a worse result. More pixels on the same sensor real estate almost always results in more noise and worse low light results.

If you want more megapixels, you need to either enlarge the sensor or figure out a configuration that doesn't compromise the noise amount (Foveon, which is used by Sigma actually stacks the pixels on top of each other).

The megapixel race at this point is something that marketers, with a couple of notable exceptions, use to entice the average consumer. Hopefully, with some of the technology that Samsung is exploring, we'll see some real improvements. Yes, I realize that you alluded to this, but I wanted to put a fine point in it.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
For those on 4.4, have you noticed any improvements to the stock camera app and it's low light capabilities?

wendy5001

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
yseba7a8.jpg
I'm still having issues as not a camera genius

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

taposbd

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Do not see the 4k resolution in camera setting.

I did 4k recording from my note3 few days back. But suddenly I realize the option is no more in my note3. I upgraded the OS to kitkat and regularly check for updates. Im not sure if I lost this feature because of these upgradation.

Please help.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Do not see the 4k resolution in camera setting.

I did 4k recording from my note3 few days back. But suddenly I realize the option is no more in my note3. I upgraded the OS to kitkat and regularly check for updates. Im not sure if I lost this feature because of these upgradation.

Please help.

Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Are you sure it's not in the Camera - Video settings. It should still be there after KitKat.
If you can post a screenshot of what you see in the settings below, that will help. You can post a screenshot directly on your AC app.
y3u4uju8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

taposbd

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Are you sure it's not in the Camera - Video settings. It should still be there after KitKat.
If you can post a screenshot of what you see in the settings below, that will help. You can post a screenshot directly on your AC app.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/01/y3u4uju8.jpg
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Madd, thanks for your replay. Here is the screenshot of my camera setting

Attachments

• 2014-08-01-17-20-42.jpg
    2014-08-01-17-20-42.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 18

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I 've seen this mentioned in a thread before. I can't remember what the solution was. Stick around while posters in other time zones log in. If I can't find it someone should know.
If no joy it could be worth starting a new thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech