Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Gator352
  • 1 Post By Amia BooMaster
  • 1 Post By Alain_A
  • 1 Post By Spencerdl
  • 2 Post By TXGTOU
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Buy the Note 3 or wait for Note 4?

Hello dear Android users! This is officially my first post on the forums after reading through alot of threads.

Anywho, I dropped my lovely HTC one in saltwater some days ago, and now I need to get a new phone.
    So the simple question is, should I get the Note 3 now and upgrade to the Note 4 later which will hopefully be released in about 6 months, or go with a cheap Android device until the release? (Maybe even some other recommendations instead of a note 3? I do not want any other kind of Samsung device.)

I use smartphones all the time, so the phone itself is very important to me. I have atleast 1000 USD right now to spend on whatever I'd like, and the insurance will bring in atleast 300USD, so money isn't the biggest concern (keep in mind that phones are much more expensive in Sweden then in the US) but is to keep in mind. I get 150USD every month.

Do you think that it's worth getting a phone the day it's released? When is the best time to upgrade? I've never bought a phone on release.

Thank in in advance, I hope to get some answers from you guys!
    -Adam Dew

Default Re: Buy the Note 3 or wait for Note 4?

The Note 3 is a very capable device and the specs will hold out for the rest of this year anyway. The Note 4 will be incremental I may eat my words there though and it will feature a 2-4k screen at 5.9", and 4gb Ram and the 805 processor clocked at 2.6ghz. It will obviously have software tweaks aswel and no doubt enhancements to the air command and various other goodies.

The Nexus 5 is cheap enough for a device to get you through to the Note 4 release.

But even if you buy the Note 3 and upgrade to the Note 4 early January next year all will be good.

But as you haven't bought a phone on release maybe the Nexus 5 is an option.

Sent From the one the only the magnificent Note 3.

Buy the note 3 and use it like you stole it. Then sell it when the note 4 hits.

Posted via the porcelain throne.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
    Thanked by 2:
    msndrstood, akdj and Madd54 like this.

You can't always worry about the next thing. Get the phone you want now and if the next note is so good just sell then.

Sent from my BEAST Note 3 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Assassin Droid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Duncan View Post
    The Note 3 is a very capable device and the specs will hold out for the rest of this year anyway. The Note 4 will be incremental I may eat my words there though and it will feature a 2-4k screen at 5.9", and 4gb Ram and the 805 processor clocked at 2.6ghz. It will obviously have software tweaks aswel and no doubt enhancements to the air command and various other goodies.

The Nexus 5 is cheap enough for a device to get you through to the Note 4 release.

But even if you buy the Note 3 and upgrade to the Note 4 early January next year all will be good.

really, 5.9".....too big...will never go there....may as well buy a tablet
    alhc78 likes this.
    beh

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

Get the Note 3 now. It is the best of the larger phones on the market at this time. When the Note 4 does come out you will have a solid basis to decide on whether to upgrade or wait for the Note 5. As we have seen, there are dozens of new phones every year. I have gone both routes on new phones and waiting for newer phones. I have never been sorry for getting exactly what I want and then move on if I find something better becomes available.

As for size - the Note 3 is a perfect size for a phone if you also use it for everything else such as watching videos, messaging, emailing, reading RSS feeds and the like. If you also use it for doing work you will be in hog heaven. The only folks I have found who think the Note 3 is too big are those who have never tried the large phone format and iSheep LOL.
    Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910V
    Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V
    Galaxy Note 8 SGH-1467
    Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Duncan View Post

I don't think that it would get a higher resolution screen.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Note 3 is a good one

Posted via Android Central App

Considering T-Mobile is having their sweet deal with paying of cancel fee's and that my Note 2 was having issues out of warranty and that T-mobile payed for my ATT number change to port it over, I got a Note 3 to enjoy and with the Jump! from T-Mobile means I can pick up a Note 4 later this year with impunity. Win, Win, win for me.

Note 3 is awesome. The only thing the Note 4 will have is Samsung's new menu / touchwiz that the S5 has. I hope they don't make it 5.9"
    I think the Note 3 is so awesome that Note 4 will really be over hyped and everyone will be QQ because in their eyes it will be Note 3S
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 6+, Nokia 1520, 2014 Moto X, iPhone 6+, Note 4..
    Currently using 64GB Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge & iPhone 6 64GB on AT&T

I suggest getting the Note3 now. It's an AWESOME device.....I LUV it ....SMILE
    Madd54 likes this.

As others have said....get the Note 3 now. If the Note 4 was imminent, maybe it would be worth waiting a while with a cheap one to put you on. I bought my Note 3 just under 3wks ago and don't regret it for a moment. There's lots of life left in the Note 3 yet. Will I get the Note 4 when it comes out? If it manages to improve on this amazing phone, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    Note 3 is awesome. The only thing the Note 4 will have is Samsung's new menu / touchwiz that the S5 has. I hope they don't make it 5.9"
    I think the Note 3 is so awesome that Note 4 will really be over hyped and everyone will be QQ because in their eyes it will be Note 3S
    If they make it 5.9" with the exact same dimensions as the Note 3 that would be fine with me. But if it makes it wider or longer, then no, 5.7" is enough.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    If they make it 5.9" with the exact same dimensions as the Note 3 that would be fine with me. But if it makes it wider or longer, then no, 5.7" is enough.

agreed.....even 5.2 to 5.5" would be better

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts

I hate to suggest this, but I'd say look at when the Note 4 (or any new device you're holding out for) is due to release, then if you must get a phone that you intend on reselling, for right now, get a used iPhone if you can find one. Just remember to resell it months before the new iPhone is due to release, and preferably your new device will release way before the new iPhone is set to release. The Apple sheep have managed to keep the resell price up on these things and that's the only reason I'd recommend going with that device. Otherwise, get a real cheap android device to hold you over until you make the switch. Otherwise, don't expect much return when you try to turn around and sell it.
    akdj and Madd54 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Dew View Post
    Hello dear Android users! This is officially my first post on the forums after reading through alot of threads.

Anywho, I dropped my lovely HTC one in saltwater some days ago, and now I need to get a new phone.
    So the simple question is, should I get the Note 3 now and upgrade to the Note 4 later which will hopefully be released in about 6 months, or go with a cheap Android device until the release? (Maybe even some other recommendations instead of a note 3? I do not want any other kind of Samsung device.)

I use smartphones all the time, so the phone itself is very important to me. I have atleast 1000 USD right now to spend on whatever I'd like, and the insurance will bring in atleast 300USD, so money isn't the biggest concern (keep in mind that phones are much more expensive in Sweden then in the US) but is to keep in mind. I get 150USD every month.

Do you think that it's worth getting a phone the day it's released? When is the best time to upgrade? I've never bought a phone on release.

Thank in in advance, I hope to get some answers from you guys!
    -Adam Dew
    Waiting on the next greatest thing is a fools game. You will NEVER have the next greatest thing because as soon as you buy it, the next one is already set for release. Get what you want NOW and worry about the Note 4 later. At any rate, it won't be coming out any time soon so why wait?
    Thanked by:

Naw. A slim tidy 6" for web browsing.
    I still browse on my 20" pc screen when I can. I would prefer a 24-27" screen.
    There is SO much more at your disposal on a regular web page. People say the N3 is all they need now.
    There is and always will be a large chasm between web and phone browsing.
    Even 10" tablets are not perfect for browsing, though much better. Sadly the PC and full web pages may be killed off.

UK Carphone Warehouse monthly free brochure / mag has 2 pages on 'Phablets' with recommendations. Note 3 is already like a little brother.

A more practical size sure, but I think a larger screen N4 could be done without going to Mega 6.3 dimensions. Agree, don't drop the ppi but any ultra resolution screen is pointless, too expensive and draining.

Maybe a Flexi/Foldie by then. OLED would be still too expensive?

N4 no less than 5.9"- 6.1" please Sammy. Although I probably still wouldn't enjoy browsing so maybe don't matter

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app
    Sent from this thing using a finger.

Exaggerating since 756 BC

Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Thanks for all the great answers everyone! You've all helped me out alot with the serious and great answers, I've made my choice and Im going to get the Note 3! Then if the Note 4 seems promising I'll upgrade, thanks everyone! I'll definitely stay here on Android Central.

Buy the note 3 and when the note 4 comes out sell the 3 to pay for the 4..sold my 2 and accessories,, that Paid for my 3,,I will sell my 3,with all my accessories to pay for my 4..sold my 2 for my asking price in 10 mins on eBay.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts

My wife and I both had the Note 2 for 10 months. We enjoyed them a lot but the Note 3 kept nagging at us. Then we were able to upgrade early using AT&T Next and we are both very happy with moving up to the Note 3. I just sold both Note 2's while they were still worth something. No need to wait as there are still many months until the Note 4 comes out. Might as well be happy now and enjoy what is possibly the best smartphone out right now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.