Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?

6 max of screen usage? They say it's better than the iPhone, but I got 6 and a half to 7 with notifications off and screen brightness at half.

This is with notifications turned off, no other apps running in the background other than facebook at 15 percent (when I'm using it). Did I get a dud? All my sync services are off, no custom loaders, screen brightness is at half, powersaving mode turned on, i'm running 4.3, and I use the phone to text and browse the web.

3-4 pictures taken throughout the day, some facebook chatting and mainly texting. GPS is also off, and the only things that are on are screen orientation and wifi (when I'm using the phone, it's shut off when I turned the phone off because it helped battery slightly). Also, apps are never running in the background and I clear the ram a few times a day. Also reset the phone once a day as well before I take off the charger.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-14-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Default Re: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?

I am kind of confused .. Your title says your battery lasts for about 4 hours but in your first sentence you talk about having 6 hours of screen on time? Confused ..

Also I wouldn't clear your RAM as this can actually cause more battery drain. Android uses the RAM differently than Windows so it is actually good to be using it. This article explains it pretty well... RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?

Could you post screenshots of your battery stats, and graph please? Take them at about 30% remaining so we can see what is going on.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: Note 3: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?

I would also recommend using gsam, which can help to better assess the situation

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

If you updated to KitKat, that also is a huge problem as people across the web with Notes and Nexus's are having battery issue with KK

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by HothTron View Post
    If you updated to KitKat, that also is a huge problem as people across the web with Notes and Nexus's are having battery issue with KK
    Not everyone has that battery drain. I've seen some actually improve on KK.
    Either way, we can't tell without screenshots

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

I think he has left the building.

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Not everyone has that battery drain. I've seen some actually improve on KK.
    Either way, we can't tell without screenshots
    Your a small minority then and it doesn't effect S4's, its Note 3's and Nexus's

Learn the truth son

Global Posts
    20,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I am not having a problem with KK and my Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Learn the truth son

http://i.imgur.com/k8ZPLY4.png

http://i.imgur.com/d7cyp3B.png
    Omg no

Definitely not the minority. You only hear about people that have problems online. Those that aren't having problems have no reason to post "things are great!".

But for me, things are great!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
    V J likes this.

No problems here on my Nexus 5, 2013 Nexus 7, and 2012 Nexus 7, all running 4.4.2. On my N5, Android OS currently using 7% of my battery, Android System 12%. As Bill Murray said in Stripes, "That's the fact, Jack!"

Does the Kernel usage change after reboots?
    Last edited by B. Diddy; 03-14-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Learn the truth son

http://i.imgur.com/k8ZPLY4.png

http://i.imgur.com/d7cyp3B.png
    No, you're the one in the minority. Someone having issues is far more likely to come onto forums like this one and share their experiences with a certain upgrade, than someone who isn't.

You don't go to a mechanic shop, see everyone else getting their car fixed and assume that everyone in the world has issues with their car.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Please keep things civil.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Note 3: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?-screenshot_2014-03-06-02-12-19.jpg Note 3: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?-screenshot_2014-03-06-03-08-50.jpg There's some screenshots of general usage. I get around 5 hours on a good day, and have only gotten 6 hours ONCE out of the 2 weeks I've had it. I didn't do anything different that day. I am just wondering just based on this screenshot if I should just exchange it. Only have one day. Just really have no idea how to backup anything on this phone easily without a 3 page set of instructions.

Also I don't have time for 3rd party apps as this may be my last day to return the phone, but I made sure to take more screenshots of my battery (those were about 4 hours and around the same kinda usage with the same apps) but they got deleted on accident the other day.

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by tripleh3lix View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-06-02-12-19.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	107997 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-06-03-08-50.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	107998 There's some screenshots of general usage. I get around 5 hours on a good day, and have only gotten 6 hours ONCE out of the 2 weeks I've had it. I didn't do anything different that day. I am just wondering just based on this screenshot if I should just exchange it. Only have one day. Just really have no idea how to backup anything on this phone easily without a 3 page set of instructions.

Also I don't have time for 3rd party apps as this may be my last day to return the phone, but I made sure to take more screenshots of my battery (those were about 4 hours and around the same kinda usage with the same apps) but they got deleted on accident the other day.
    Nothing out of the usual there. If your phone's brightness is on the higher side, the screen will drain the battery faster. 5 hours doesn't seem all that bad, and there's no apps using more battery than they should.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

My brightness is always a bit below half. Gps off at all times other than a few times a day to check into foursquare. Also how is 5 hours of usage on average is better than an iPhone, people are saying most of the newer android phones have a better battery, I'm not seeing it..

Also yesterdays battery life with a 20 minute phone call was about 4 hours and 21 minutes. Same kinda usage.

So no reason to take back then and all is normal? Today is my last day.

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

My brightness is always a bit below half. Gps off at all times other than a few times a day to check into foursquare. Also how is 5 hours of usage on average is better than an iPhone, people are saying most of the newer android phones have a better battery, I'm not seeing it..

Also yesterdays battery life with a 20 minute phone call was about 4 hours and 21 minutes. Same kinda usage.

So no reason to take back then and all is normal? Today is my last day.
    Well your signal doesn't look very good so that can be draining it more than usual. I haven't seen an iPhone get more than 4 hours of screen time. I've used both a 4S and a 5 and while the idle time was great, using the phone killed the battery fairly quickly

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Oh wow very strange. I always got 6 to 6 and a half on a decent day on my 5s and 5. 4s had even better battery life than both. Well thanks guys, I guess this is normal. My signal averages from 2-4 bars around the house but usually on wifi

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Oh wow very strange. I always got 6 to 6 and a half on a decent day on my 5s and 5. 4s had even better battery life than both. Well thanks guys, I guess this is normal. My signal averages from 2-4 bars around the house but usually on wifi

Posted via Android Central App
    How did you see that? The iPhone only shows "usage" for battery stats, but not actual screen time on information.

5 hrs screen time is a lot for any phone. I'm a moderate to heavy user and I might see 4 hrs screen time in a day occasionally. A lot more talk time but screen trumps talk in battery use. And touch the battery graph to see your signal and awake time. Might be something there.

ATT N3

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    5 hrs screen time is a lot for any phone. I'm a moderate to heavy user and I might see 4 hrs screen time in a day occasionally. A lot more talk time but screen trumps talk in battery use. And touch the battery graph to see your signal and awake time. Might be something there.

ATT N3
    Talk uses about as much battery in my experience

How did you see that? The iPhone only shows "usage" for battery stats, but not actual screen time on information.

This is what I was going to point out. If the iPhone got 6,7,8 hours of screen on time, Mophie would not exist. Also, you do understand that this is a 5.7" full 1080p HD screen with a quad core processor??

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    This is what I was going to point out. If the iPhone got 6,7,8 hours of screen on time, Mophie would not exist. Also, you do understand that this is a 5.7" full 1080p HD screen with a quad core processor??

Yes, I do. I've seen 8+ hours of screen time on that 5.7 inch, 1080p screen

Yes, I do. I've seen 8+ hours of screen time on that 5.7 inch, 1080p screen

Lol, I was meaning the OP!!

Global Posts
    8,892 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Lol, I was meaning the OP!!

Oh, OK. It was in the same post in which you quoted me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast