Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 3 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 3 Post By anon8380037
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Updated to KK last evening. All seems good but I haven't explored much. Wifi already is more stable so far, which is why I did it.

I don't have a Picasa app installed but am aware it's being pushed by Google now.
    It asked me straight away if I wanted to sync/share with Picasa, if so log in: "Cancel or OK". I chose No/cancel.

Opened Gallery today and it keeps asking to log in for Picasa, so it wants to grab my photos. It started to auto log in to my Google account until stopped.

Can I still opt out of Picasa?

I don't like cloud storage and especially putting geo tagged photos there.

I tried to opt out of Google +, so no profile just a Google / Gmail account.

Sorry if covered before.

- Nobody knows how much I don't know. "All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC -

Global Posts
    31,622 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Picasa or mi casa ?

I was under the impression that Google was ditching Picasa for Photos.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    anon8380037 and UJ95x like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You could be correct, I just remember reading something on both. Just now Picasa won't leave me alone. I am logged in to Gmail, Play Store etc but it wants me to log in.

Maybe I raised this too early and it will stop. I'm stubborn and don't want to give in. I suspect it will eventually log itself in with my Google address.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Actually it's only when Sync is on, and it won't let me sync until I agree to Picasa.
    The Picasa screenshot appears between "Next" and error "Cancel Sync", connection is fine. I can still use Play and Gmail.
    To be continued.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I was under the impression that Google was ditching Picasa for Photos.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    See above. Struggling with Tapatalk again.

Global Posts
    31,622 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

OK. Try going into Settings>Accounts>Google>click on sync>see if you have Picasa. Uncheck and see of that helps.
    anon8380037 and johnmltb33 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes I had looked at that thanks, not there.
    Actually I have had Sync off (I normally leave it off save for a daily sync) for 30 minutes and I am still getting the triangle warning in Notification Panel.
    I am not bothered about syncing with Google too much for now. It only pulls the messaging and call log.
    If anyone had a similar issue it would be useful.
    Now its just the warning panel that's annoying me.
    Again if I touch the panel, it wants to sync but I have to agree to Picasa. If I try to Sync in accounts it says there is an error as in that screenshot.
    Blackmail!
    I will give it a few days. I tried a reboot.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

OK. Try going into Settings>Accounts>Google>click on sync>see if you have Picasa. Uncheck and see of that helps.

See above.
    I also found the (new?) option in Gallery settings to upload to my Dropbox account which I logged in to again, but I cannot untick Google and just use Dropbox.

Not as if I have photos to hide but I don't like being made to use Cloud storage. There must be an opt out.

Global Posts
    31,622 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

There has to be a way. I have been away from stock Samsung for so long, I need to recruit help.
    anon8380037 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

There has to be a way. I have been away from stock Samsung for so long, I need to recruit help.
    Kind of you. I can also wait to see if it fixes.
    Looking at that error shot that I've never seen before, it may be a temporary issue at Google's end.
    Or I missed something.
    The best I can hope for in life is that others may gain from my stupidity!

Nobody knows how much I don't know.
    "All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC

Global Posts
    31,622 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Looking at that error shot that I've never seen before, it may be a temporary issue at Google's end.
    Or I missed something.

It's not that you are stupid, sometimes settings are buried. I personally don't mind the cloud backup. You never know what may happen. As for Picasa, itself, maybe here: Picasa
    anon8380037 likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Or I missed something.

Does it only popup when opening the gallery app? Or does it happen randomly?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    anon8380037 likes this.

"Picasa" is specifically for the old Gallery app. If you don't want it to sync, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and look for either "Picasa" or "Gallery," and uncheck it.
    anon8380037 likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Does it only popup when opening the gallery app? Or does it happen randomly?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    It wasn't there overnight or until I opened gallery 2 hours ago. It may have popped and disappeared earlier of course, I didn't look at my phone much earlier today. It's currently off after consistently coming on.
    I cannot untick Dropbox either now in Gallery settings. It will say I can only use one Dropbox account at a time so touching it triggers adding another account. Same with Google sync in Gallery settings, touching it asks do you want to start a new account or use existing.
    I have Gallery set for wifi only, so as soon as I walk in to a cafe from my car currently, or have a wifi connection it will download, I think. I can't find a setting to deactivate sync in Gallery. It looks like they've won.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    "Picasa" is specifically for the old Gallery app. If you don't want it to sync, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and look for either "Picasa" or "Gallery," and uncheck it.
    Thanks. Neither is there in the account, see above, but that's helpful.
    I will uninstall it, reboot, clear cache in recovery and reinstall.
    I remember when I first had the phone, Gallery was not there for sharing, but Picasa was. It changed by itself. Never had the app.
    I need an hour out and I'll try that.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Oops no. I can't uninstall Gallery can I.

*Yeah. I will look on my Google account and Picasa on a pc in a few hours and take it from there.*
    *It may have temporarily stopped notifying after I ticked the Dropbox to sync with Gallery as well, but then could not untick either. *

Thanks. Neither is there in the account, see above, but that's helpful.
    You might be misunderstanding me, or I might be misunderstanding you. In your screenshots above, I don't see the screen that details all of the Google components that you can check or uncheck for sync. Go to Settings, then under Accounts tap Google, then tap your Google email address. That should give you this screen:

Picasa or mi casa ?-screenshot_2014-03-16-11-18-29.jpg

Now, I also realized that Google recently changed the labels for photos that sync with Gallery and photos that sync with Photos, and it's hella confusing. "Google Photos" (near the top of the image) is for Gallery, and used to be called Picasa. "Google+ Photos" (at the bottom) is for the Photos app. I just tested this out myself by going to Settings>Apps>All, selecting Gallery, and Clearing Data, while also unchecking "Google Photos" as mentioned above. This cleared out the Gallery's web albums, but left the locally stored photos alone; and the Google+ Photos app continued to show all of its web albums. When I went and checked "Google Photos" again, it started syncing, and when I went back to Gallery, all of the web albums started repopulating.

Hope this wasn't too confusing ...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

You might be misunderstanding me, or I might be misunderstanding you. In your screenshots above, I don't see the screen that details all of the Google components that you can check or uncheck for sync. Go to Settings, then under Accounts tap Google, then tap your Google email address. That should give you this screen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-16-11-18-29.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	108153

Now, I also realized that Google recently changed the labels for photos that sync with Gallery and photos that sync with Photos, and it's hella confusing. "Google Photos" (near the top of the image) is for Gallery, and used to be called Picasa. "Google+ Photos" (at the bottom) is for the Photos app. I just tested this out myself by going to Settings>Apps>All, selecting Gallery, and Clearing Data, while also unchecking "Google Photos" as mentioned above. This cleared out the Gallery's web albums, but left the locally stored photos alone; and the Google+ Photos app continued to show all of its web albums. When I went and checked "Google Photos" again, it started syncing, and when I went back to Gallery, all of the web albums started repopulating.

Hope this wasn't too confusing ...
    Yes, you got it now. But something changed in the last half hour while walking. It's showing now it synced 2 hours ago.

When the Google sync page was in red/cannot sync it wouldn't open the list. I remember your screenshot of course now I have seen it.
    I unticked Picasa in the screnshot (and I will remove it) but I wish I had looked if it had synced as well. Would it have uploading 2gb of photos on 3G in a park? Would KitKat have installed the Picasa option and ticked all those boxes. I don't think I had them all ticked.

I will work on the rest of your helpful post later, and see if all is finally well.

Give this man a medal.
    Thanks.

B. Diddy likes this.

Would it have uploading 2gb of photos on 3G in a park?
    Syncing only syncs thumbnails (not the full sized photos), and won't upload any photos. The only way photos are automatically uploaded is if you have the Auto Backup setting on. So the amount of data synced is pretty minimal. Glad this helped!
    anon8380037 likes this.

Would it have uploading 2gb of photos on 3G in a park?
    Syncing only syncs thumbnails (not the full sized photos), and won't upload any photos. The only way photos are automatically uploaded is if you have the Auto Backup setting on. So the amount of data synced is pretty minimal. Glad this helped!

Would KitKat have installed the Picasa option and ticked all those boxes. I don't think I had them all ticked.
    I think the default is to have them all checked, but I'm not sure.
    anon8380037 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

That rings a bell.
    Yes. Terrific. And Google didn't get me!
    Thanks @Golfdriver97 and @UJ95x.