Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By IAmSixNine
  • 2 Post By HothTron
  • 1 Post By clitrenta
  • 1 Post By clitrenta
  • 1 Post By aliasuk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Lately I started to notice images and videos took longer to load. YouTube keeps pausing and today I tested my wifi on my phone and kept getting an unstable 3 to 8mb connection when I've always gotten a solid 30mb. I reset my router, rebooted my phone and same results. Tested everything else's speed even old cheap things and their getting solid 30mbs. T Mobile kit kat Note 3
    Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat-screenshots_2014-03-21-18-00-23.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshots_2014-03-21-18-00-23.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	108961
  2. #2  

    Default re: horrible wifi after kitkat

    Have you tried a different server from within the speedtes.net app?
    I have run many tests with it and found some servers get buys and produce much slower results. Both on and off wifi.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: horrible wifi after kitkat

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Have you tried a different server from within the speedtes.net app?
    I have run many tests with it and found some servers get buys and produce much slower results. Both on and off wifi.
    Yes. My 4g is actually faster
  4. #4  

    Default Re: horrible wifi after kitkat

    I have a UK unlocked note 3 and my wifi is very erratic. Using the speedtest app and others I range from 8 mbps right up to my max speed of around 70 mbps . My wife's s4 and my ipad always hit around the 70 mbps mark every time. I have looked into this for days now and the only "sort of" fix I have found is to go into location settings and switch from power saving to high accuracy. When I do this and run a speed test straight away I always get max speed. But after a few minutes it starts to drop really low again. I have tried all of the so called fixes including the hidden service menu power saving option off which had no effect. I have even gone into my home hubs settings and made sure we are running at 5ghz and that the channel we are on is completely clear, again which had no effect. I was getting faster consistent speeds on my ancient note 1! Just like to add that I have also tried a full factory reset to no avail. I have to admit that I am stumped.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: horrible wifi after kitkat

    I kind of have to agree.

    I just got the new Netgear Nighthawk AC wifi router and my speeds on both my Note 3 and Tab 3 are erratic. They were erratic with my my Netgear N900 so it's not my router. My Note 3 is on 4.4.2 and get much better throughput on 2.4Ghz than I do on 5Ghz and it seems to be only erratic at distance. My Tab 3, which is on 4.1 still, is atrocious on both 2.4 and 5Ghz at distance.

    This might be something Sammy can fix with an update but it leaves me to believe they are using shoddy wifi components in their products.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
  6. #6  

    Default Re: horrible wifi after kitkat

    also make sure bluetooth is off.

    I remember a while back seeing some devices share BT / WiFi antennas.

    I know for a fact i had a device (samsung or HTC i dont recall) that if i was listening to music on my BT headset my WiFi would cap at about 3 megs..
    Stop listening to music and back to 15-20, what ever my wifi max was at the time with the cable modem i had.
    I also was not streaming, the music was stored on SD card.

    On a side note, are you showing full signal or good signal strength?
    Its possible, but not likely, that the antenna might have a connection issue.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Full signal in my case. Always. The channel I am on is completely clear.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    And bt is off btw
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    wish i could do more to help.. but im out of ideas.
    Tyler Lietz likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Yep, kitkat also made my wifi go to crap on two T-Mobile note 3. I'm on my third one with jelly bean and no issues. I'm avoiding kitkat all together now
    Thanked by:
    Tyler Lietz and Spencerdl like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTACTMC View Post
    Full signal in my case. Always. The channel I am on is completely clear.
    We are not complaining about signal strength, we are complain poor erratic wifi speeds. My phone is the only thing on my 5ghz band
  12. #12  

    Default Re: horrible wifi after kitkat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    Yes. My 4g is actually faster
    It usually is.

    Is there any other wifi networks you can test that you know have good speeds? Just to see what happens?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my LG G4 using AC Forums.



    Community Rules & Guidelines
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    @ Tyler I know. Please read the whole thread. I was asked if the channel I am on is clear...which it is. No one else in my building is on 5ghz. My wifi on my Note 3 is erratic as hell. ..All my other devices are fine and run at a constant full speed.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTACTMC View Post
    @ Tyler I know. Please read the whole thread. I was asked if the channel I am on is clear...which it is. No one else in my building is on 5ghz. My wifi on my Note 3 is erratic as hell. ..All my other devices are fine and run at a constant full speed.
    Sorry missed the first post only saw post 2 and 3
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    We are not complaining about signal strength, we are complain poor erratic wifi speeds. My phone is the only thing on my 5ghz band
    But low signal or signal interference can reduce throughput. So i had to ask that question to rule it out.

    Just so i can get a reference.
    What speeds are we talking about here?
    At work when testing mine i get 10 down and 2 up, which matches what were paying for from our ISP.
    At home i get 13-15 down and 2-5 up, again matching what im paying for from my ISP.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by HothTron View Post
    Yep, kitkat also made my wifi go to crap on two T-Mobile note 3. I'm on my third one with jelly bean and no issues. I'm avoiding kitkat all together now
    YES, I think I will do the same. MY Verizon Galaxy Note3 is running flawless on the JellyBean OS
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    YES, I think I will do the same. MY Verizon Galaxy Note3 is running flawless on the JellyBean OS
    I'd go along with that but I am experiencing WiFi issues BEFORE I even get KitKat. It's fine at home on my U-Verse router but most everywhere else I get the dreaded "unstable connection" error even when the signal strength is excellent
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by clitrenta View Post
    I'd go along with that but I am experiencing WiFi issues BEFORE I even get KitKat. It's fine at home on my U-Verse router but most everywhere else I get the dreaded "unstable connection" error even when the signal strength is excellent
    No problems with my Verizon Note3 and wifi....Anywhere. I was over my Daughters house yesterday and after I put in the 12 digit password (yeah I know), wifi was instant as with all other attempts at different wifi locations
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by clitrenta View Post
    I'd go along with that but I am experiencing WiFi issues BEFORE I even get KitKat. It's fine at home on my U-Verse router but most everywhere else I get the dreaded "unstable connection" error even when the signal strength is excellent
    When you get the "unstable message" that normally means you need to sign into the wifi via a Web browser. My problem is completely different. My device download Speen on my home fibre connection is erratic. I got a 2 mbps on speed test last night, half hour later I hit my max possible speed provided by my isp which is 70mbps. All my other devices hit the maximum possible speed every time I test them. So I don't think it's interference.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTACTMC View Post
    When you get the "unstable message" that normally means you need to sign into the wifi via a Web browser. My problem is completely different. My device download Speen on my home fibre connection is erratic. I got a 2 mbps on speed test last night, half hour later I hit my max possible speed provided by my isp which is 70mbps. All my other devices hit the maximum possible speed every time I test them. So I don't think it's interference.
    I have signed in to various businesses and it would connect but would shortly thereafter give me that error, even when I have 5 bars or whatever. Makes no sense.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
    Madd54 likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by clitrenta View Post
    I have signed in to various businesses and it would connect but would shortly thereafter give me that error, even when I have 5 bars or whatever. Makes no sense.
    Yeah that happens with my wifi at work (London underground). First I connect via the normal method...and I get the unstable message...then I launch my web browser and I get the ee splash screen with an add...Once that page has loaded the connection message clears and all is ok. Guess they have it set up so that you don't get full speed until you have looked at the advertisment. I have to redo this every half an hour.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTACTMC View Post
    Yeah that happens with my wifi at work (London underground). First I connect via the normal method...and I get the unstable message...then I launch my web browser and I get the ee splash screen with an add...Once that page has loaded the connection message clears and all is ok. Guess they have it set up so that you don't get full speed until you have looked at the advertisment. I have to redo this every half an hour.
    Well that makes sense but why is it NOT a problem on any other phone I've had? Obviously we know that we need to go to the website and login or whatever but we don't need the phone getting pi**y about it.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
    Madd54 likes this.
  23. #23  
    aliasuk's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    I have wi-fi issues too. Predominantly a message saying that the phone will no connect to a given wi-fi due to it being slow or unstable. At home, keeps disconnecting due to network being unstable. Very frustrating indeed.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Madd54 likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: horrible wifi after kitkat

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It usually is.

    Is there any other wifi networks you can test that you know have good speeds? Just to see what happens?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    All wifi is crap now.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Note 3: Horrible wifi after KitKat

    Bumping this...anyone had any joy finding a fix for this? I have found that my Note 3 runs much better when connected to 5ghz...but for some strange reason it always seems to choose the 2.4ghz band (all my other devices eg ipad, galaxy s4 etc all auto connect to 5ghz)...and I cant find anything in settings to select 5ghz only on the Note. The only way I can get it to connect to 5ghz is to completely disable the 2.4ghz band via my BT home hub.

Similar Threads

  1. Chromecast: Usable on WiFi Hotspot (2x phones)?
    By Oliver Hyde in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 09:34 AM
  2. Android Device Manage only works on WiFi
    By richlaustx in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM
  3. Android TV box - cannot connect to it via wifi from phone or laptop
    By felix001 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM
  4. ES File Explorer updated for Kitkat
    By msndrstood in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2014, 11:45 AM
  5. KitKat and S Health issue
    By tcapote in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2014, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions