Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndroidProf
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Since upgrading to 4.4 I've noticed it staying in the 20% + range. Is that normal?
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegame161 View Post
    Since upgrading to 4.4 I've noticed it staying in the 20% + range. Is that normal?
    Whether its normal or not depends on how you use your android device. The battery consumption depends on how much and how long you use your android device. If you run alot of applications continuously, then you will most likely experience alot of battery drain. If you also charge while using your device with heavy apps, then you will lose your battery really fast; that means battery going dead.

    Some tips on maintaining your battery life and power;
    1. Check the idle running background apps draining your power
    2.Ensure you regulate the backlight on your screen, during the night reduce the brightness and during the day make it average.
    3.Only turn on GPS, GPRS and Bluetooth when you have to use them.
    4.When charging your device, don't use it to play games or run heavy apps that use alot of power.
    5.Its also important to carry a back-up power source or extra battery so you will not let your battery drain off and switch your device off, this also reduces your battery's life. Preferably charge it when its at 20% but never let it get to 5%.
    UJ95x likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidProf View Post
    Whether its normal or not depends on how you use your android device. The battery consumption depends on how much and how long you use your android device. If you run alot of applications continuously, then you will most likely experience alot of battery drain. If you also charge while using your device with heavy apps, then you will lose your battery really fast; that means battery going dead.

    Some tips on maintaining your battery life and power;
    1. Check the idle running background apps draining your power
    2.Ensure you regulate the backlight on your screen, during the night reduce the brightness and during the day make it average.
    3.Only turn on GPS, GPRS and Bluetooth when you have to use them.
    4.When charging your device, don't use it to play games or run heavy apps that use alot of power.
    5.Its also important to carry a back-up power source or extra battery so you will not let your battery drain off and switch your device off, this also reduces your battery's life. Preferably charge it when its at 20% but never let it get to 5%.
    Never let it get to 5% ... How come?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybell View Post
    Never let it get to 5% ... How come?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Because people are paranoid! Don't worry about it. Just use your phone and charge it when you need to, period.


    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    I would say that is normal. There is no set amount that is should use because it will differ for everyone. No two phones will have the same set up, so there would be a different amount of things going on.
    I have attached a screen shot of where my Android OS used 18% on 4.3
    I haven't updated to 4.4 yet, so I can't speak if it would use any more on KitKat.
    Before you updated, was it using significantly less?


    Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk
  6. #6  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Mine has been as high as 40%. However it doesn't bother me becuase it hasn't impacted on the battery life.

    Posted from my galaxy note 3
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Because people are paranoid! Don't worry about it. Just use your phone and charge it when you need to, period.


    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Yes.. And use your samsung coupon and get a spare battery. Problem solved.

    Sent From My Samsung Note 3
  8. #8  
    V J
    V J is offline
    V J's Avatar

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybell View Post
    Never let it get to 5% ... How come?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    People say it's paranoid, I call it proper care. How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

    It won't break your battery if you let it drain completely but repeated drainage will make it degrade faster (ie. lessen its charge capacity from what it was originally). If you don't plan on buying a new battery every year then it won't hurt to follow these tips. I've read a few articles and they all say pretty much the same thing. A simple google search will yield similar results.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    I tend to let it drop to 5% or completely die quite a few times but sometimes that's unavoidable. I do have two spare batteries though.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2
  10. #10  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    Batteries are very inexpensive. I have used the same brand battery for 3 phones now and they work just as good as the stock one. 25 bucks you can get 2 batteries and a charger.

    THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: How much should Android system be taking up in battery life?

    KitKat made my android battery usage skyrocket, it utterly killed my battery life. I'm on my 3rd Note 3 and sticking with Jelly Bean an no further issues.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 09:28 PM
  2. How's your phone holding up?
    By jpdaballa in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM
  3. Apps to speed up your phone
    By newandroidguy in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
  4. Most Awaited Android Game Clash of Kings
    By GalaxySoft in forum Google Play Store
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions