Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Amia BooMaster
  • 1 Post By z06mike
  • 1 Post By clevin
  • 1 Post By Spencerdl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 uses way too much battery!

Ive recently got my note 3 and im thinking of giving it back. It uses 40% overnight when im not even using it. It uses around 10% every hour generally. During the day I don't use it for 8 hours and it uses 30% !!!!! I've taken screenshots but don't know how to attach them...*

Thanks
    Yas

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Default Re: note 3 uses way to much battery!!!

Turn off background sync, turn off data

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

Something is going crazy in the background. Overnight my phone my loose like, 3%??? Yeah something is wrong here.

Sent from my BEAST Note 3 using Tapatalk
    sforsyth01 and Spencerdl like this.

If your on the updated kitkat, that's why
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Amia BooMaster View Post
    Something is going crazy in the background. Overnight my phone my loose like, 3%??? Yeah something is wrong here.

Sent from my BEAST Note 3 using Tapatalk
    WOW, thats a lot can you tell me what apps you have open and/or if your wifi is on......SMILE

Quote Originally Posted by Yas112 View Post
    Ive recently got my note 3 and im thinking of giving it back. It uses 40% overnight when im not even using it. It uses around 10% every hour generally. During the day I don't use it for 8 hours and it uses 30% !!!!! I've taken screenshots but don't know how to attach them...*

Thanks
    Yas

Welcome to Android Central....ENJOY

Yes me too. After kitkat upgrade battery eats it's self fast. Worst update ever.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

We need to see the screen shots first.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Spencerdl likes this.

Yeah post your battery usage
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2

As others have said please post pictures of your battery stats .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I uninstalled Tumblr today cos it had suddenly started using massive amounts of battery, even after a force stop. It was at the levels you describe. Looking at your battery stats will tell you what's eating it all up.

... sent from the road

Note 3 uses way too much battery!-uploadfromtaptalk1395792646533.jpg
    Note 3 uses way too much battery!-uploadfromtaptalk1395792663951.jpg
    Now with this "live" wallpaper rotating, I expect for battery drainage to be on the high side. I like the look of it though so I kinda don't mind.....SMILE
    Sent from MY BLACK G'NOTE3

That's why I love my HTC One Max

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    Now with this "live" wallpaper rotating, I expect for battery drainage to be on the high side. I like the look of it though so I kinda don't mind.....SMILE
    Sent from MY BLACK G'NOTE3
    Wow! Had no idea we can use a live wallpaper like that! Very neat!

Sent From My Samsung Note 3
    Thanked by:
    V J

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Turn off background sync, turn off data

@T-Mobile GN3
    Don't do this. There's something else up with your device for sure. I'm on 4.4.2 (out of the box) with 2 emails, facebook, ebay, viber, whatsapp, skype all synced 24/7 and I only lose 1% every 3 hours on standby. Other people are the same so I'd say that the typical standby battery life. Having said that, there are many people experiencing extreme battery drain after updating to 4.4.x and it sounds like you might be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by V J View Post
    Don't do this. There's something else up with your device for sure. I'm on 4.4.2 (out of the box) with 2 emails, facebook, ebay, viber, whatsapp, skype all synced 24/7 and I only lose 1% every 3 hours on standby. Other people are the same so I'd say that the typical standby battery life. Having said that, there are many people experiencing extreme battery drain after updating to 4.4.x and it sounds like you might be one of them.
    why not? you already said other people has battery drains, and your suggestion is do nothing about it?

ps, if you want to convince me your battery drained 1%/3hrs with all those apps open, post some screenshots please.
    Caleb Lopez likes this.
    V J

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

why not? you already said other people has battery drains, and your suggestion is do nothing about it?

ps, if you want to convince me your battery drained 1%/3hrs with all those apps open, post some screenshots please.
    Here you go:

Note 3 uses way too much battery!-screenshot_2014-03-26-22-57-14.jpg Note 3 uses way too much battery!-screenshot_2014-03-26-22-57-22.jpg Note 3 uses way too much battery!-screenshot_2014-03-26-22-57-37.jpg

As you can see I'm actually getting more than 3 hours per 1% on standby, no charging in between. I believe others who updated to KitKat successfully reported similar increases in standby battery life. Mine came with KitKat out of the box.

I'm sorry you took offense to me saying don't do what you said, although I need to point out that I never said "don't do anything". Like others have suggested, the OP should post some screenshots of his battery usage so we can analyze further. A 40% drop during overnight standby is extreme when I lose 3% over 9 hour's sleep.

It's highly unlikely that turning off data and sync will solve anything when the battery drain is that high. Even if it did, if he's gonna use a monster "smartphone" like the Note 3 without data or features synced then he's better off going back to 2001 and getting a Nokia 3310. Sure he won't have internet, but his standby will last 10 times longer. Just saying.

Here you go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-26-22-57-14.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	109509 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-26-22-57-22.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	109510 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-26-22-57-37.jpg 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	109511

As you can see I'm actually getting more than 3 hours per 1% on standby, no charging in between. I believe others who updated to KitKat successfully reported similar increases in standby battery life. Mine came with KitKat out of the box.

I'm sorry you took offense to me saying don't do what you said, although I need to point out that I never said "don't do anything". Like others have suggested, the OP should post some screenshots of his battery usage so we can analyze further. A 40% drop during overnight standby is extreme when I lose 3% over 9 hour's sleep.

It's highly unlikely that turning off data and sync will solve anything when the battery drain is that high. Even if it did, if he's gonna use a monster "smartphone" like the Note 3 without data or features synced then he's better off going back to 2001 and getting a Nokia 3310. Sure he won't have internet, but his standby will last 10 times longer. Just saying.
    Same here, I loose approx 3% per nine hours on standby, but I'm still on JellyBean......This is NOT a problem for me and meets MY satisfaction.
    V J likes this.

You are mistaken. I am just saying you really did not offer any practical things for OP to try, all you did was listing your battery drain, which really give OP no solution.

And, since google already admitted battery drain problem in KK and is working on a patch, there is no need to claim KK is somehow "fine".

Lastly, I meant he/she should turn off data when phone is not in use, not all the time.
    V J

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

You are mistaken. I am just saying you really did not offer any practical things for OP to try, all you did was listing your battery drain, which really give OP no solution.

And, since google already admitted battery drain problem in KK and is working on a patch, there is no need to claim KK is somehow "fine".

Lastly, I meant he/she should turn off data when phone is not in use, not all the time.
    If you think I'm claiming that KitKat is somehow fine then you are the one mistaken. As I clearly said on my first post there are a number of people experiencing severe battery drain after updating to KitKat and pointed out that the OP might be one of such cases, as they seem pretty common. If I didn't imply it strongly enough, I was basically pointing him towards the direction of those threads (as there are a few of them) so he can see if he's experiencing the same symptoms as the others and possibly find more information on how to fix the problem.

Also, while turning off sync and data when not in use is an acceptable battery saving practice, disabling some of the "core" features of a smartphone is not really considered a solution. I'm sure the OP would like to be able to use his device as a smartphone is meant to be used.

Default Re: Note 3 uses way too much battery!

You are not the only one, I am thinking about returning it and just keeping jelly bean on the new one

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Thanks for all the responses. I think its useful for me to attach the screenshots. But because im new here im not sure how. How can I attach screenshots on the app ??

Quote Originally Posted by Yas112 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I think its useful for me to attach the screenshots. But because im new here im not sure how. How can I attach screenshots on the app ??

Hold on home button and switch on button on the right side at the same time
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2

Not sure you can attach pic in the app, try doing it on a pc

@T-Mobile GN3