WiFi Error: Could Not Save Network/Failed to save network

Cohazard

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I noticed a couple of days ago that my Note 3 (verizon) has not been connecting to my wifi network at home. My phone could see my wifi network, but every time I tried to connect to it, I got the error 'Failed to save network' or 'could not save network' depending on how i tried to connect.

After searching for a few hours online, none of these tips worked:

reset router/modem, restart phone, shut down phone, remove sim, forgetting network, turning off/on wifi on phone, etc...

I was finally able to fix it today and wanted to share with this forum in case any one else is searching out there for a fix.

The only thing that worked was to perform a factory data reset. Pretty frustrating to have to setup my phone back to all the presets I had it at, and yes had to wait for all my apps (backed up on google server) to re-install.

Anyways. It gave me a good excuse to join the forum and I'm already liking all the customer home screens and getting some inspiration to change up my settings. Thanks!

EDIT: My note 3 was the only device in the house to suffer from this error. Other devices never lost connection to the network: iPad, Galaxy S4, PS4, HP PC.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to our happy bunch.
You can also say Hi in Introductions in Central Lounge and give your story there. Most of our experienced moderators will greet you and can help best with any early issues.
Otherwise stick around here where they lurk as well.
I have never had to do a full reset, and dread it, as Kies doesn't restore everything. I know Google sync and Play Store will help, but still a lot of reconfiguring as you say.
I hope it will be easy from here on in. Enjoy.

Casey Peel

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue and where restart did nothing, powering down the device completely and then rebooting made the wifi work as good as new. Even was able to forget network and then rejoin, just to make sure it wasn't an illusion. Now mobile data turns off when it wants which is very annoying. Hopefully one day there will be a more reliable smartphone, for now it isn't the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Last edited:

chrazer

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I've just had this problem on my Xperia Z2 the last 2 days. Did a factory reset then the problem immediately restarted when I reinstalled McAfee - seems to have kicked in since they did the last McAfee update 2 days ago. Waiting for the next update to see if it'll be fixed. Funny that it only happens with 2 of the 3 networks I have set up at home (thick stone walls)

Brevan

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I had this same error.
However I resolved it by turning the phone on and off and then putting it in 'Flight Mode' and then turning 'Flight Mode' off. Hold the power button to see the option for 'Flight Mode'
After that the wireless connections worked again.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-19505) running Android 4.4.2
Hope this may help someone
Brevan

Truepeace

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I had this same error.
However I resolved it by turning the phone on and off and then putting it in 'Flight Mode' and then turning 'Flight Mode' off. Hold the power button to see the option for 'Flight Mode'
After that the wireless connections worked again.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-19505) running Android 4.4.2
Hope this may help someone
Brevan

I can't believe that such a simple trick solved my problem!!! :D I first thought it was a file permission issue but I tried turning on and off airplane mode and it worked!
(on my rooted LG Nitro HD kitkat custom CM rom)

BSmith99

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Thumbs up. This toggle of flight mode fixes the problem on my Moto X Pure, Marshmellow. Strange.

It's like somehow the phone wifi config gets stuck and it won't login to known networks and asks for the wifi password, but then fails. This flight mode toggle fixed it.

Nice.

MI Miah

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
I'd just like to find out whether anyone with this problem has McAfee Mobile Security installed on their phone, as uninstalling this app seemed to have resolved the issue on my Medion LIFE X5020...

stagosaur

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
I tried all the technical stuff noted for this malfunction in my HTC 10 - nothing worked. Stumbled on this, figured I had nothing to lose (after 2 days of struggling), and, HOLY S***, IT WORKED! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21