Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Crisis with acore!

I have searched for hours on Google and tried everything short of a master reset... I really need help with this!

My brand new Note 3 keeps popping up with a message saying "Unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped." I have no idea why. I started downloading all my apps yesterday and it didn't start until this morning, so I was able to limit the possible apps down to about 70.

I Googled it, and tried everything. I cleared the data and cache for the contacts app, and the contacts storage. I disabled those two apps. I cleared the cache and app data for the DRM protected content and some other obscure app. I cleared the system cache. I uninstalled Facebook, Assistant, and every single chat, messaging, and social app I had. I even deleted obscure apps that might have some feature, somewhere, to import your contacts for sending invites or whatever. I cleared and deleted anything that held even a remote possibility of screwing up this stupid "acore" process.

I booted it in Safe Mode and it had 0 issues, so it would seem to be an app I downloaded. I deleted several apps I thought might be responsible, restarted, and found that not only was the acore still screwed up, but now I couldn't even get to my home screen without "Touchwiz Home" not responding.

After returning to Safe Mode and deleting about 1/5th of all my apps, I restarted the phone and it seemed to be working fine. I added some of my apps back, and then it did it again, only now I could delete the apps one at a time. I traced it down to a barcode app. Or did I? After re-installing the other apps I deleted one at a time it stated doing it again! WHAT THE ***********!

I don't get it. Nothing seems to work. I don't want to master reset because it will take me forever to put all my text messages back, at the T-Mobile store it took two hours to transfer my texts from my old phone to my new one. I have a backup but I don't want to reset, not to mention I'll have to re-download all my apps again... with so many apps, which, yes, most of which I do actually use, how am I supposed to figure out which one is causing this mess?

Is there any, ANY other way to eliminate this stupid acore thing without resetting the whole phone? Maybe something with logcat? I've never used it but could it or something similar tell me what app is interfering with acore? Is there a way to just remove acore? Could I edit acore so it won't accept input from other apps thus preventing it from interacting with whatever app is to blame? Everyone on this site and other forums seem to refer to acore when rooting or flashing roms, but I haven't rooted my Note 3... yet.

Please help me with this! I really can't stand this stupid popup literally every three seconds!

Global Posts
    24,822 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Crisis with acore!

Have you tried clearing system cache in recovery?
    [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Have you tried clearing system cache in recovery?
    [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    If that's when you power off, hold the volume up and home button, clear the cache, and reboot, then yes.

Global Posts
    24,822 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by FutureKix View Post
    If that's when you power off, hold the volume up and home button, clear the cache, and reboot, then yes.
    Aside form a reset, I don't know of any other method to help. Sorry.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Aside form a reset, I don't know of any other method to help. Sorry.
    But what will resetting do? What prevents this issue from happening again?

Global Posts
    24,822 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

But what will resetting do? What prevents this issue from happening again?
    If it is an app, the reset will remove all apps, aside from system ones, from your device. Since you were fine in Safe Mode, that almost makes it a certainty. Before you reset, uncheck automatic restore from Settings>Back up and reset.
    Then, slowly add apps. Like only a few at a time. Monitor for several hours and add a few more.

Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

If it is an app, the reset will remove all apps, aside from system ones, from your device. Since you were fine in Safe Mode, that almost makes it a certainty. Before you reset, uncheck automatic restore from Settings>Back up and reset.
    Then, slowly add apps. Like only a few at a time. Monitor for several hours and add a few more.
    I appreciate your help, but I literally have over 1,000 apps. Sure, I could probably cut that in half easy, but even then I still have hundreds I use weekly, and many more I like having for special situations. I can't use logcat or similar to identify which app is causing it?

Global Posts
    24,822 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

I appreciate your help, but I literally have over 1,000 apps. Sure, I could probably cut that in half easy, but even then I still have hundreds I use weekly, and many more I like having for special situations. I can't use logcat or similar to identify which app is causing it?
    You could possibly use a logcat. I don't know how it wouold be useful, but it may be possible.

You say you've already tried the 'common' fixes, including the ones regarding contacts. In my experience, this issue presents itself for two reasons:

1. There is a problem with an individual app's (system or user app) data, typically a result of dirty ROM flashing or improper appdata restoration (Titanium Backup, etc.).
    2. There is a problem with data being synced from your Google account, typically having to do with contacts data.

I do recall a case in which the issue was prolonged due to widgets. If you have any contacts or calendar widgets on the homescreen, remove them. Repeat the data clearing for both, and see how that affects things. I can't say whether having such a large number of apps installed is contributing in some manner, but it sounds to me like the behavior is due to data synced from an account on the device. Selectively disabling data sync for any relevant accounts would probably be the most efficient way to diagnose this as the cause.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    In my experience, this issue presents itself for two reasons:

1. There is a problem with an individual app's (system or user app) data, typically a result of dirty ROM flashing or improper appdata restoration (Titanium Backup, etc.).
    2. There is a problem with data being synced from your Google account, typically having to do with contacts data.

I do recall a case in which the issue was prolonged due to widgets. If you have any contacts or calendar widgets on the homescreen, remove them. Repeat the data clearing for both, and see how that affects things. I can't say whether having such a large number of apps installed is contributing in some manner, but it sounds to me like the behavior is due to data synced from an account on the device. Disabling syncing and clearing the data, or removing the account entirely, would probably be the most efficient way to diagnose this as the cause.
    Thanks, I will try this. I didn't install or flash any roms and I didn't use a backup program. I turned off sync earlyer and it didn't help. I will try booting into safe mode and removing my calendar widget and removing/re-adding my Google account. I don't see how those would effect this, since the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode and these are all system apps/functions, but I will try it. Thanks.

Thanks, I will try this. I didn't install or flash any roms and I didn't use a backup program. I turned off sync earlyer and it didn't help. I will try booting into safe mode and removing my calendar widget and removing/re-adding my Google account. I don't see how those would effect this, since the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode and these are all system apps/functions, but I will try it. Thanks.
    That's the sense I got from your explanations. Unfortunately, at this point you're likely in a better position to solve the issue than we are. If you do believe the issue stems from a third-party app, which the safe mode behavior would seem to support, I would say keep looking there. Narrowing down a list of a thousand won't be easy, though. It might help to search the Play Store for similar symptoms:

Code:
    site:play.google.com "android.process.acore"
    Run that (and similar queries) through Google, and see if anything looks familiar. It will still take some time, but it's better than doing it by individual trial-and-error.
    Thanked by 2:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

That's the sense I got from your explanations. Unfortunately, at this point you're likely in a better position to solve the issue than we are. If you do believe the issue stems from a third-party app, which the safe mode behavior would seem to support, I would say keep looking there. Narrowing down a list of a thousand won't be easy, though. It might help to search the Play Store for similar symptoms, though:

Code:
    Run that (and similar queries) through Google, and see if anything looks familiar. It will still take some time, but it's better than doing it by individual trial-and-error.
    I will try that search but the previous tips didn't work.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

That's the sense I got from your explanations. Unfortunately, at this point you're likely in a better position to solve the issue than we are. If you do believe the issue stems from a third-party app, which the safe mode behavior would seem to support, I would say keep looking there. Narrowing down a list of a thousand won't be easy, though. It might help to search the Play Store for similar symptoms, though:

Code:
    That search only showed 10 apps then forced the "load more" into the Play store instead of Chrome and in the app it said not found.

That search only showed 10 apps then forced the "load more" into the Play store instead of Chrome and in the app it said not found.
    It showed more than ten for me, searching on the desktop site. A few more for "process.acore" instead. The Play Store search isn't much help unfortunately... you might have to get creative with ways to narrow down the list.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

It showed more than ten for me, searching on the desktop site. A few more for "process.acore" instead. The Play Store search isn't much help unfortunately... you might have to get creative with ways to narrow down the list.
    Well I finally gave up and reset my phone. I reinstalled my most important apps first and so far, no issues. Thanks for the help guys, even though I had to reset I didn't loose much.