Note 3: Noticeable Differences with KitKat - Good and Bad

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I just got my update last night so still haven't figured out many differences but I do have a couple to share so far:

1. Much louder (I thought I was on speaker phone for a minute :eek: )

2. S Note updated from vs 1.0 to 3.1

Please post anything you have noticed, good or bad. This will help others to better evaluate their update

Last edited by a moderator:

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Noticeable Differences with KitKat - Good and Bad

Downloaded and installed on ATT Note 3. Initial impressions:

- Upgrade was uneventful and went smoothly. Haven't noticed any issues so far, but still very early
- I like the white status icons, looks more polished IMO. I swear some of the notification shade alerts have a different font and cleaner look? Could be my imagination.
- Phone does seem more snappy and it was already fast
- Several apps I've tested definitely have less "jank" (stuttering issues when quickly scrolling) and are much smoother. G+, Play Store and Facebook are all noticeably better
- Haven't been able to test/confirm the GPS issues. I live where we have good LTE coverage, so I didn't encounter it a lot to begin with
- I could pretty frequently crash the camera app before when opening in landscape mode or quickly moving back/forth between landscape and portrait modes. Haven't been able to do that yet since the update.
- I've noticed no difference at all in battery usage yet. I typically lose 6-8% overnight (mostly due to various apps like BeyondPod syncing and downloading content) and was the same last night. Went to bed at 98% and woke up at 92%. We'll see how the first whole day goes today, but so far, so good.

I was worried having read all the issues others were having on different carriers after the upgrade, but it seems like ATT might have gotten additional fixes and/or testing being one of the last ones to roll out. Overall so far, great update and initial impressions are good, but it's still maybe too early to tell for sure.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

My biggest test will be when I go somewhere with WiFi (besides home). Befoer the update, it was very iffy with "Unstable connection" messages constantly. This is my biggest issue and perhaps only really, with this phone so I hope that's improved.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

The AT&T KitKat update for the Note3 appears to be more stable than the other carriers from what I've read so far. It seems as though AT&T did their homework and improved the update. Just what an update and carrier should do. I hope Verizon follows in their footsteps.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Also, based on threads in other boards, looked a battery consumption as it seemed to be going down faster than normal. Lookout was gobbeling up 32% ! This was also noticed on other boards as well. I went in an turned that thing off just now so we'll see how it goes. I can live without it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I updated specifically because a fix was reported for that wifi unstable carp (a fish). Initially I thought it was cured. It is better, but I have been getting those fussy warnings again less frequently, in 2 coffee shops I use, where my other phone does not. Home wifi has always been stable, as per past threads, but limited in range for me. I think it's partly an aerial thing.

Interested in a consensus on actual wifi improvement on KK. (another thread?)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I updated specifically because a fix was reported for that wifi unstable carp (a fish). Initially I thought it was cured. It is better, but I have been getting those fussy warnings again less frequently, in 2 coffee shops I use, where my other phone does not. Home wifi has always been stable, as per past threads, but limited in range for me. I think it's partly an aerial thing.

Interested in a consensus on actual wifi improvement on KK. (another thread?)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Works for me and i'll have more on that this weekend as I get out more and try it out around town.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'll have to agree with you Madd54. WiFi issue is better but the jury it's still out. I need to get a bigger sample before I pass judgement one way or another

Posted via Android Central App

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've notice android os is using over twice as much juice as my screen in stats. I almost always have screen at the top. Haven't really noticed huge drain but it's also the weekend. Need to see it during a workday to compare battery usage.

ATT N3