07-29-2015 08:02 PM
67 123
tools
    Discussion of whether such and such a price would be worth it is fine.

But please do not post links to ebay for your personal items. Please review the marketplace guidelines linked to in my signature.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I'm sure we both didn't realise the infringement at that time, over a month ago.

But point well made.

Yes, it was a live listing, though he already had offers.

He's a cool guy, got sorted with a deal on a Nexus 5.

Good to know.

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    05-14-2014 02:54 PM
    I'm sure we both didn't realise the infringement at that time, over a month ago.

But point well made.

Yes, it was a live listing, though he already had offers.

He's a cool guy, got sorted with a deal on a Nexus 5.

Good to know.

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    No problems, I know he meant no harm by it. But still we want to make sure that it is fair for everyone.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    anon8380037 likes this.
    05-14-2014 05:39 PM
    I water damage my note 3 and I fixed it but now the touch won't work with my finger but it does with the spen does any one know how to fix it

Posted via Android Central App
    06-25-2014 01:46 PM
    I water damage my note 3 and I fixed it but now the touch won't work with my finger but it does with the spen does any one know how to fix it

Posted via Android Central App
    Digitizer is damaged or flex cable.The S pen has a different flex cable connection. Those flex cables are ridiculous easy to damage.They should really make those things stronger. You can open it up and check the connections on the motherboard.
    07-03-2014 05:04 PM
    Hi,

did u put also the screen in the alcohol? My phone is functioning but the screen brightness is off. does the alcohol work also with screen?

Thanks
    09-16-2014 02:55 AM
    Hi,

did u put also the screen in the alcohol? My phone is functioning but the screen brightness is off. does the alcohol work also with screen?

Thanks
    Hello. Welcome to Android Central.
    Sorry you didn't get a reply. Did you leave it in rice for a day or two and the phone is functioning?
    The screen takes a while longer to clear, up to 5 days apparently.

Has it improved since you posted?
    Is it / was it just dull, or you have no access to brightness control.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    09-18-2014 12:07 PM
  7. The Best of Chinese Medicine's Avatar
    hi, I drop my note3 in water yesterday, still dead, all I want is the pictures of my baby in my phone, I wonder if my phone retire to life can I lose the pics? or if I can get the pics back other ways?
    10-22-2014 12:08 AM
    Thanks for the post. You're an engineer! You're going to help so many people out with this.

Thanks for sharing this experience.

"I have an American Bassbort!"
    10-22-2014 02:34 AM
    Hi i recently dropped my note 3 in the toilet. I immediately put it in rice for 24 hrs. But now the screen flickers randomly and also it goes black randomly. I can still use the touchscreen and speakers work. Should i try using the alcohol method? If so, do i submerge the screen too? Or should i prepare for my phone to die out?

**update**, touchscreen being barely responsive, screen is black more often. the usb is charging the battery though
    11-17-2014 02:46 PM
    When I read those kind of stories I always wonder what the water indicators look like.
    I think specialized people can still tell a phone is water damaged not matter if the stickers are red or white but I'm curious how much liquid is needed to make them red... I hear stories between "moist/sweat already makes them go red" while others say "a decent amount of water, like a very tiny raindrop should be fine". For the people who did open their phone to put it in rice or whatever how did those indicators look?
    12-09-2014 08:44 AM
    Part of triggering a litmus strip to go from white to red (red indicating liquid) is its location.
    Back in my BlackBerry days, we used to see a lot of false positive from devices that came from Florida. The indicator was just under the battery door on the rear housing and with Floridas high humidity we often saw them triggered while the internal ones on the board were not.
    More manufacturers put them on the actual boards now internally to prevent false positives.
    I rely less on those and more on looking for corrosion or evidence of evaporated water on RF shields or the backs of LCD panels. A good trained tech should always be able to spot liquid damage, often times after someone has tried to clean it up. Once a board is damaged and corrosion has started you cant reverse it. The damage is done.
    12-09-2014 08:52 AM
    You have given me hope to try my old water damaged GS4 again. Thanks.
    01-21-2015 02:37 AM
    I wanted to post this to give hope to anyone who has faced water damage with their phone. I got pushed in the pool by a drunk guy (he felt terrible and even planned it out beforehand when he noticed I was in swimming trunks and not regular shorts... thinking I wouldn't have my phone in my pocket).

Well, I got pushed in and while falling, I even tried to pull the phone out and throw it before I landed in the water lol. I was under water for probably a good 10 seconds as I frantically swam to the edge to get out and pull the phone out.

I did everything correctly in the beginning. I pulled the wet phone out of my pocket, took the back cover off and took the battery, SIM, and SD cards out immediately. I dried it off with a towel for the moment but could not get to a bag of rice for hours. The pool was really dirty, so I knew my chances were slim.

I wasn't able to get the phone into a bag of rice for probably 4 hours. So, I finally got the bag of rice and put the phone in over night. Here's where I know I did some wrong things, but I was very impatient. After one night (about 10 hours) in the bag of rice, I tried putting the battery in and turning on. Nothing happened. So, I tried plugging the charger in and turning it on. Nothing happened.
    I know this is very bad to try and do to a water damaged phone, so now I really thought I ruined everything.

I went on the forums and read that distilled water will help clean off the phone should it have gotten into salty or dirty water. So, I got some distilled water and submerged my phone in it for a few minutes thinking I had nothing to lose. I dried it off and put it back in rice for the entire day about 12 hours. That night, I tried AGAIN to put the battery in and turn it on. Nothing happened. I tried plugging the charger in again and turning it on. Nothing happened. Uh oh...

So, now I'm researching online and reading that 99% isopropyl alcohol will help with water damaged electronics. I went and bought some at CVS (they only had 91%) but whatever. This time, I took apart my phone using the ifixit breakdown. I took off the entire back panel and logic-board. I submerged each piece in the isopropyl alcohol for about 30 minutes. I gave each piece a nice gentle scrub with a toothbrush to make sure I was cleaning everything. Then, I dried with towel and I put each piece in a bag of rice over night for about 10 hours.

This morning just now, I put the phone back together. I knew this was my last shot after one night bag of rice, after one day distilled water and rice, and finally after one day 91% isopropyl alcohol and rice... there was nothing left to do.
    I put the battery in expecting nothing. Then... suddenly... it vibrated! I looked at the screen and there was the logo! It was turning on!!! I was still not optimistic as I know water damaged phones can lose functionality... but I tested everything out and everything works! Air View, Air Gesture, speakers, calling, etc... everything works!

So in conclusion, I would say the isopropyl alcohol was the game changer here. That stuff really works. I've even seen YouTube videos where people submerge a turned on phone in the stuff and it still works because it does not conduct electricity at all. Pretty cool.

Crossing my fingers this lasts... but I know the lifespan is probably shortened and things may bug out on me in the future. For now, I'm enjoying that I brought it back to life.
    It works. Thank you thank you thank you.
    I fixed my wife's note 4.

This is how it happened.
    One morning, note 4 cannot be booted.
    So took out battery and tried again. I noticed some water under battery.
    It was getting hot. Then unplugged. Brought the phone to the service center and let them fixed it since it is still under warranty.
    But it turned out it was water damage.
    Water damage was not under warranty so I was asked to pay 700+ to fix it.
    Later discounted to 529.
    I said f**k it. Brought it back home and Googled it.
    Found this article and decided to give it a try since i got nothing to lose.

I found some tear down webpage and videos to tare my phone apart.
    I bought some tools and I bought Isopropyl alcohol liquid.
    Fixed my water damaged Note 3! I got pushed in the pool and thought it was dead... Details Inside-158505-1-large.jpeg
    Luckily I manage to tear down everything without damaging.
    At first I only took the motherboard and dipped it in that liquid for about 24 hours. It didn't work.
    So the next day, dipped the mainboard for one day.
    Charging board which has corrosion was also dipped in the liquid for one day.
    Brushed here and there.
    Next day, assembled everything back.
    Voila!!!!! It was bloody booting.
    It worked!!!!!!!!
    So I was super happy and so was my wife!
    Thank you so much for the post and again don't lose hope.
    Cheers.
    07-27-2015 02:09 AM
    Okay so I bought one of those rubber pouches that are supposed to protect your phone at the water park. Well, vacationed for a week, got home and the screen went black. I took it to a servicer and when he took the back off the battery indicator was fire engine red. There was also evidence of dried water on various areas of the panel board and mother board. I went to CVS and got the alcohol. I disassembled my phone into 4 parts back cover, back panel, motherboard and screen component. I sat everything in the alcohol for 30 minutes or so then took all of it out and into the rice bed it went. I am waiting, waiting, waiting. I am so anxious to see what's gonna happen. 11:30pm will be 12 hours. I think I will go to bed at 10 so I will wait until morning and give it additional time.
    07-28-2015 06:33 PM
    Hi there. Here is my story and hope that someone can help. Actually it is the story of my friend who brought me his phone to be fixed.
    His son has dropped his galaxy note 3 in water and the phone went blank so he did the rice trick but the phone is now you can hear that it is turning on and you would see the blue led on and the red led when charging but you see nothing on the screen. Would the isopropyl alcohol fix that problem or it is something different. If different thing can anyone assist on how to fix.
    The phone cant connect to kies 3 nor smart switch. Actually the PC installs all the drivers but the MTP driver fails (not sure if it is related)

Just a quick question. Is isopropyl alcohol the same as the hand sanitizer that we use daily or is it the rubbing alcohol or something else
    07-29-2015 03:12 AM
    I sure wish this worked for my phone. I did try this and put it back in rice and it's still not coming on. I did buy another battery in hopes of it working and it didn't. I am gonna put it back in rice again though. I did this about 2 months ago and had it in rice this whole time. Then I saw this about the alcohol and tried it last night. Hopefully it will eventually come back on and work right.
    07-29-2015 07:59 PM
    Hello did it work for you? I put mine in alcohol last night also for 30 minutes and then in rice. I left it in rice from around 11pm last night until after 6 pm today. It's still not coming on. I hope you have better luck than I did.
    07-29-2015 08:02 PM
67 123